Hurricane Katarina

Ptarmigan

Spaceman
This hurricane has to be watched. It could hit Florida to Texas. Southeast Texas is long due for a major hurricane. The last one was in 1983 with Alicia. Galveston has 12 percent chance of getting hit.

at200512_5day.gif

WTNT72 KNHC 271430
SPFAT2
HURRICANE KATRINA PROBABILITIES NUMBER 17
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
10 AM CDT SAT AUG 27 2005

PROBABILITIES FOR GUIDANCE IN HURRICANE PROTECTION
PLANNING BY GOVERNMENT AND DISASTER OFFICIALS

AT 10 AM CDT...1500Z...THE CENTER OF KATRINA WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 24.5 NORTH...LONGITUDE 85.0 WEST

CHANCES OF CENTER OF THE HURRICANE PASSING WITHIN 65 NAUTICAL MILES
OF LISTED LOCATIONS THROUGH 7AM CDT TUE AUG 30 2005

LOCATION A B C D E LOCATION A B C D E

25.3N 87.6W 42 X X X 42 NEW ORLEANS LA X 3 13 3 19
26.7N 89.0W 17 12 X X 29 NEW IBERIA LA X 1 12 5 18
28.6N 89.9W X 15 7 1 23 PORT ARTHUR TX X X 7 7 14
DAYTONA BEACH FL X X X 2 2 GALVESTON TX X X 6 6 12
JACKSONVILLE FL X X X 4 4 FREEPORT TX X X 4 6 10
SAVANNAH GA X X X 3 3 PORT O CONNOR TX X X 2 5 7
CHARLESTON SC X X X 2 2 CORPUSCHRISTI TX X X 1 3 4
VENICE FL X X 1 2 3 BROWNSVILLE TX X X X 2 2
TAMPA FL X X 1 2 3 GULF 29N 85W X 3 5 3 11
CEDAR KEY FL X X 2 3 5 GULF 29N 87W 1 8 7 2 18
ST MARKS FL X X 3 6 9 GULF 28N 89W 3 18 3 X 24
APALACHICOLA FL X 1 5 5 11 GULF 28N 91W X 15 6 1 22
PANAMA CITY FL X 1 6 5 12 GULF 28N 93W X 4 10 3 17
PENSACOLA FL X 1 9 5 15 GULF 28N 95W X X 6 4 10
MOBILE AL X 1 10 6 17 GULF 27N 96W X X 2 4 6
GULFPORT MS X 2 12 4 18 GULF 25N 96W X X 1 1 2
BURAS LA X 8 11 2 21

COLUMN DEFINITION PROBABILITIES IN PERCENT
A IS PROBABILITY FROM NOW TO 7AM SUN
FOLLOWING ARE ADDITIONAL PROBABILITIES
B FROM 7AM SUN TO 7PM SUN
C FROM 7PM SUN TO 7AM MON
D FROM 7AM MON TO 7AM TUE
E IS TOTAL PROBABILITY FROM NOW TO 7AM TUE
X MEANS LESS THAN ONE PERCENT

FORECASTER BEVEN

Strike Probabilities

:eek: :eek:

A cool picture of the edge of a hurricane. Well, good thing I live in California so I don't have to worry about natural disasters and such.

Attachments

• edgeofthehurricane.jpg
    edgeofthehurricane.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 410
McGruff said:
A cool picture of the edge of a hurricane. Well, good thing I live in California so I don't have to worry about natural disasters and such.

Oh yeah, no natural disasters in California. Except for Earthquakes, mudslides, torrential rain, flooding, forest fires and Tsunamis. Oh yeah, and lets not forget Volcanos.

Sylvester said:
Oh yeah, no natural disasters in California. Except for Earthquakes, mudslides, torrential rain, flooding, forest fires and Tsunamis. Oh yeah, and lets not forget Volcanos.
We have had Hurrican force winds too. Not to mention the freak Tornado we had a couple of miles north if SFO. Yeah California has every damn thing. I would know too. I live in close proximity of it all (Daly City CA just South of San Francisco and just North of South San Francisco. You will pass through it on the way to SF. I can't imagine why you would want to.) Anyways it missed my grandmother in longboat key so I am happy.

Hey neighbor, I'm just down the road in San Jose for the time being, though I'm itching to get out of the whole damn state. I've gone from Oakland to Stockton to where I am now, so I guess I'm ever so slowly moving up in the world.

Now, Katrina a monster at 175 mph winds and 907 millibars. It is lower than Camille. This is really bad situation. Hopefully New Orleans will pull through. If Katrina hit Houston or New York, it will be really devastating. Houston would be underwater from storm surge and massive flooding. Houston is at extremely high risk for flooding and climbing. Many refineries are in the Houston area. All of downtown Houston and the bayous would be flooded and many areas would be underwater. There are people in Houston still recovering from Allison in 2001 as of right now. Floods are a real mess to deal with. If New York was hit by Katrina it would flood all of New York, up to 25 feet at JFK Airport. Manhattan would be underwater and the bridges would be damaged.
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

For those in the US who own cars or are responsible for keeping them gassed up, you might want to consider topping off your tanks Real Soon Now™. Over a third of domestic oil production (I seem to recall hearing a figure of 40%, but not sure on that) is via oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, which are going to get hammered by the hurricane. The oil companies didn't really have any time to secure them beyond evacuating crews, as I understand it, so there's a good chance they'll get rather dinged up by Katrina's passing, which may well mean higher gas prices.

Death said:
For those in the US who own cars or are responsible for keeping them gassed up, you might want to consider topping off your tanks Real Soon Now™. Over a third of domestic oil production (I seem to recall hearing a figure of 40%, but not sure on that) is via oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico, which are going to get hammered by the hurricane. The oil companies didn't really have any time to secure them beyond evacuating crews, as I understand it, so there's a good chance they'll get rather dinged up by Katrina's passing, which may well mean higher gas prices.

There is a chance that New Orleans could be under 25 feet of water from Katrina. :eek: :(

McGruff said:
Hey neighbor, I'm just down the road in San Jose for the time being, though I'm itching to get out of the whole damn state. I've gone from Oakland to Stockton to where I am now, so I guess I'm ever so slowly moving up in the world.
Hehe Cool. I kinda lived in San Jose for a while. It was in a Hyatt when out house was being worked on.

I went to New Orleans this weekend. Or at least attempted the whole weekend. Got there 4am Sat. Left 8pm Sat. Got back home 7am today. It's normally an 8 and a half hour trip. That whole contraflow thing wasn't very well marked, so I ended up making a 150 mile detour. The whole thing was pretty freaky.

Death said:

I'm giving this some serious consideration
http://www.vegpoweredsystems.com/

Veg my ride sounds like a waste of money to me... You'd be better off doing a custom fuel cell job...at least you wouldn't be hunting down vegetable oil every weekend...or if you forgot to flip the switch back to diesel get your engine clogged with vegetable oil. Even if you could convince local restaurant owners to give you their used vegetable oil on a regular basis...how many gallons would you need to fill up a Dodge truck? A lot...which would mean a lot of your day spent going to these places and picking it up.

Duh Sams Club or Cosco where ever you live BUY IN BULK you can probably buy it by the gallon at one of those places. That and used oil you would have to strain I dont know about you but straining my veggy oil doesnt sound like a fun afternoon.

BusbyLogic said:
Duh Sams Club or Cosco where ever you live BUY IN BULK you can probably buy it by the gallon at one of those places. That and used oil you would have to strain I dont know about you but straining my veggy oil doesnt sound like a fun afternoon.

But then it wouldn't be any cheaper than gas, and you'd STILL have to figure in the fuel costs for transporting the car and the fuel around. Now, if gas/petrol hits $10 a gallon, veggie-powered systems may sound better, but until it does so, most people are going to take the easy way out, unless they're forced to go with a new solution by civic, state, or national governments.

Well, I live in the Gulf Coast. Just 30 minutes east of Pensacola. No rain, but a bit of humidity and a lots of wind. Power brownouts here and there. I'm staying inside.
I have to call work later, see if I'm till on for tonight.

I think veggie fuel is a useful stopgap technology until hydrogen fuel cells become more accessible, and nuclear fusion becomes safe enough, so that the energy used to extract the hydrogen, is clean as well. Until then, veggie fuel or ethanol seems like a good idea, so long as it isn't any more trouble for consumers than petrol or diesel.

I hate the word veggie.

Fusion is safe. It just needs to become economically viable and not take more energy than it produces.

Back