How to use Xbox360 controller properly to play WC3/4/5 ?

I have a Microsoft Xbox 360 controller (Wired) but it works very poorly with Wing Commander 3/4/5 (Prophecy). The games are Windows 7 64-bit fixed versions. Some buttons dont do anything at all. Are there proper 360 controller support for these games or some good X-padder profiles that I could use? If so, where can I download them? Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

The Wing Commander games pretty much predate gamepad support in windows. The games will recognize your gamepad more or less as a generic joystick. So, yeah, as you guessed you pretty much need to use mapping software to make use of all the buttons. I don't know if there are downloadable profiles, but I'm sure some of the other guys will have some suggestions.

I'm pretty sure their is a thread somewhere that has a guide to using a joypad with xpadder software. It could have been on here, GOG or RSI WC forum areas. xpadder is not free though, but it's not expensive either.

MotionInJoy is my preferred gameplay mapping software. It's got some ad support but nothing that'll interfere with gaming. Best of all it's free to use and even supports the keycoded dualshock controllers. I use my DS3 to emulate a 360 controller with no complications. Ok, not entirely true, translating quicktime events on screen from 360 to DS but I've adapted.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

I'm pretty sure their is a thread somewhere that has a guide to using a joypad with xpadder software. It could have been on here, GOG or RSI WC forum areas. xpadder is not free though, but it's not expensive either.

I have X-padder but I would need the 3 configuration files for the 3 games. Or some sort of written config for the very best profile to use. Map what key to which Xbox 360 controller button etc. Please help me!

MotionInJoy is my preferred gameplay mapping software. It's got some ad support but nothing that'll interfere with gaming. Best of all it's free to use and even supports the keycoded dualshock controllers. I use my DS3 to emulate a 360 controller with no complications. Ok, not entirely true, translating quicktime events on screen from 360 to DS but I've adapted.

http://www.motioninjoy.com/

Never used motiontojoy before but wouldnt I still need 3 button profiles for it? Where can those be obtained?

You can assign keys to specific buttons in the profile manager tab.

Use the link below to visit the CIC's database on the different key assignments. Map them to your buttons however feels comfortable. Still, nothing like a flightstick to get the job done.

https://www.wcnews.com/controls.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
I have X-padder but I would need the 3 configuration files for the 3 games. Or some sort of written config for the very best profile to use. Map what key to which Xbox 360 controller button etc. Please help me!
I don't have key mapper, unfortunately I cannot help you there. But as Whistler say's you can create your own.

Back