how do I scan a ship

R

rapierdragon2

I know the FAQ says that if you forgot what key to hit to scan a ship/cargo/pod that you can hit CTRL-M to bring up the computer messages screen (which according to the FAQ says will say what button to hit) but I'm not getting ANY messages from the computer about scanning objects.

At mission end though there is a "bonus: scanned (whatever): incomplete" in the mission breakdown.

Is this because I have in-flight comms set to "none" with subtitles on? I would play with them set to "all" or "plot crucial" but I'm having sound problems (inflight comms play like 50% to 95% through and then stall. I think it has to do with my systems audio, but you'd think with the subtitles option on you'd still see the text.

rapierdragon
rapierdragon@hotmail.com

IIRC you need to press I in order to scan.

However you should see how to fix your sound problem. Did you check the sound fix in the launcher?

Thanks for the control help. As to my sound problem:

I've tried the sound-fix check-box in the launcher, but it makes no difference. I've narrowed the problem down to either one of two things (or maybe a bit of both). Either one of my other PCI devices is hogging the bus, or Creative released a really crappy SB-live-24bit driver (supposedly some version of the driver and some versions of the card are considered "sub-standard").

cff said:
IIRC you need to press I in order to scan.

However you should see how to fix your sound problem. Did you check the sound fix in the launcher?

rapierdragon2 said:
Is this because I have in-flight comms set to "none" with subtitles on? I would play with them set to "all" or "plot crucial" but I'm having sound problems (inflight comms play like 50% to 95% through and then stall. I think it has to do with my systems audio, but you'd think with the subtitles option on you'd still see the text.
Not sure about that... we made the ship's computer send his hints via in-flight comm messages, so it's probable that you're missing those if you're setting the message level too low. I'm not sure we testing that actually. It's be best to first solve your sound problems, then you'll be able to set it to "all".

IIRC there is a VXD and a WMD type driver for Creative Soundcards starting with the LIVE line. Which ones are you using?

Back