Hornets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great!

One question: The guns look quite different than to the original. Is it some kind of upgraded Hornet with different weapons?

Tempest said:
What external programs do you use to create your maps? :)
I use Adobe Photoshop 4 to create the maps, then I use Paint Shop Pro 4 to touch up any inaccuracies that might show up after downsizing the maps to 256x256 resolution. I then use TrueSpace 5 to apply the textures to the models.

Bob McDob said:
The Hornets look nice .. I assume we won't be flying them, though?
They'll be flyable in the sim via the alswantsmoreships cheat, and will show up in the missions where the Firekka operates together with other carriers. I'll probably give the Moskva (or the Verdun) and the Saratoga a Hornet squadron each.

Viper61 said:
I thought that Hornets only operated in the Landreich as front line craft in the late 2660's, as in FC?
Dunno. That's possible, I really haven't checked. The thing is we needed to give the Landreich *something* in Standoff, and the Hornet is probably the oldest, crappiest Confed fighter that will be in the mod. :p

Lynx said:
One question: The guns look quite different than to the original. Is it some kind of upgraded Hornet with different weapons?
Yep. We're giving our Hornets neutron guns instead of lasers. They pack a lot more punch, but now you actually have to worry about depleting the gun energy, unlike in WC1 where the Hornet would never run out of it.

Eder said:
I use Adobe Photoshop 4 to create the maps, then I use Paint Shop Pro 4 to touch up any inaccuracies that might show up after downsizing the maps to 256x256 resolution. I then use TrueSpace 5 to apply the textures to the models.

So am I correct in assuming you're using two different modelling programs? Rhino to create the models and then Truespace to apply textures? Oh, one more lil' annoyance for you :) - If using Rhino, are you using NURBS or good old box modelling?

That's correct. I model in Rhino, using the goold old one-triangle-at-a-time method (NURBS can't be simplified enough to run in the WCP engine without losing most of their shapes... since we work with a 1200 polygon limit), then I export the models to DXF, import them in TrueSpace, apply textures, save as .cob, open them up in 3D exploration, rotate and center them, save them as .peo, open up PEO Viewer, save them as .wcp, then open up ModelC and compile the .wcp files to .iff - whew! :p

Hooey. That's enough of a tutorial for me :D

Might have to try this some time. I was always a fan of Rhino, since it's far easier to work with than LW or 3Dmax. Though, my patience level can only allow me to redownload the trial so many times ;)

Killing Jalthis in Hornets.

The glory, the agony the pain...

One of the things I dislike is the road to all out... automatic fighters..

Missiles kill, missiles kill,

Hornet gets you back to the WC1 era, where big guns and bigger skill was required for a kill.

I for one love to see again HORNET, the fighter I first flew in WC universe. Just that. I hope we can fly it in the simulator or something... I would love to fly it in a mission, but I am probably the only one :)

Andropolos said:
I for one love to see again HORNET, the fighter I first flew in WC universe. Just that. I hope we can fly it in the simulator or something... I would love to fly it in a mission, but I am probably the only one :)

I wouldnt mind flying the Hornet again. But thats just me I like lighter more manuverable fighters over heavyer slower ones. I do like the choice to change to neutran guns thow.

For what it's worth, the Hornets in False Colors still had their laser cannons. I wonder if adding neutron guns would screw up the continuity.

Definitely not. We can always say there are lots of Landreich Hornets still carrying lasers, we just don't see them in Standoff.

You figured out the default loadout for the Hornets yet? I remember Babcock in False Colors having at least two heat seekers (and wishing she took out the Hornet that had an extra pair as well).

Yes, it was on purpose, like with the Talons and some of the Kilrathi fighters. I gave the hull plating layer more contrast and added an extra airbrush layer on top of the whole thing.

All the ships have turned out very nice. Good work with the lighting and color Eder. In the screen shots I like the flair on the missles. :)

Insults about a person's grammatical skills aside, the Hornet was an ok fighter. I was always leery when I had to fly Hornets, I personally prefer to have more armor, shields, weapons, etc.
Speed and maneuverability are still good assets to have in a fighter. Just don't get a Gratha on your tail.

Ah yes, the Hornet...how I hated that ship.

Maybe it was because I got used to flying ships with heavier guns like the Raptor or Rapier at the end of WC1 before suddenly going back to the Hornet for SM1...

Or maybe it was because it was so easy to die, and so very uneasy to make the kitties die.

That trait made me love the Hornet the first time I played Wing Commander, because it was a ship that demanded skill. You weren't going to take down any Kilrathi ship easily. But after going to different ships...I discovered just how little maneuverability was really worth if after getting on a Gratha's tail, it took forever to kill. Getting on the tail is good, if you can actually do something once you're there. But 2 laser cannons just weren't good enough to destroy a fighter in enough time take on the other Kilrathi that was busy fragging the Tiger's Claw.

To move to the present: Eder...I bow before your greatness. Every ship you come out with looks phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back