Here's the Super Wing Commander 3DO footage I promised

Decay

Ensign

I will edit this OP with the remaining 3 parts as they get uploaded, expect a new part every 8 hours. Unfortunately I decided not to include my impressions of the joystick in these videos because the 3DO flight stick turned out to be horrible for Super Wing Commander (It's great for WC3 however), it's just very stiff and laggy, a huge dead zone and what feels like only 3 different speeds of turning. Not to mention the button placement for issuing wingman orders and switching weapons/targets is just horrible.

The 3DO regular controller is much easier.

So, enjoy the game play, and if you can, tell me what the names of these missions are so I can properly label the videos. Also let me know if I should do more videos of earlier missions or keep going with my current save game. I will keep uploading if you guys are enjoying it. Or I can do some Wing Commander III 3DO missions using the flight stick.

The 3 missions you fly are Lambda and Epsilon Wings in the Dakota System followed by Theta Wing in Kurasawa. You can hear Halcyon say the name of your wing which, once know the system, can tell you the mission. You can actually see all the WC1 missions on WCPedia here. SWC does have some differences at times, but is identical for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3 missions you fly are Lambda and Epsilon Wings in the Dakota System followed by Theta Wing in Kurasawa. You can hear Halcyon say the name of your wing which, once know the system, can tell you the mission. You can actually see all the WC1 missions on WCPedia here. SWC does have some differences at times, but is identical for the most part.

Oh cool so i'm almost done with the game? I've never beaten SWC before. Doesn't it include the expansion as well? Does that occur after the main story?

It has two expansions! It includes both the first one (Secret Missions) and an entirely original second one (which fans call "Secret Missions 1.5")

Yes, the Secret Missions are set a year after the Vega Campaign, but still long before WC2. I'll try to explain without spoilers.

SM1 deals with the Kilrathi attack on Goddard and the Tiger's Claw goes on a mission behind enemy lines. SM2 is set in the Antares sector and covers the Kilrathi invasion of Firekka.

Both are outstanding additions to the WC1 story, but as a 3DO owner, you have the rare chance to play something many fans have not - 'SM1.5' (edit: what is it really called?) a title never released on PC where the Tiger's Claw, goes after a Kilrathi shipyard to prevent the construction of a superweapon seen in SM1.

My first ever 3DO, an FZ-10 will be arriving a week today. I bought it to play WC3, but if I can find SM1.5 I will have reached nirvana.

So do the expansions occur after the main story?

Yes. They're not really expansions for Super Wing Commander, though, since they're included in the base game. The game just continues on... after you win the last mission in the Venice series and you see the winning cutscene you're back in the bar to start what is on the PC "The Secret Missions."

(Internally the game considers them different 'campaigns'; you have to select a different campaign if you use the cheat to jump to different missions.)

My first ever 3DO, an FZ-10 will be arriving a week today. I bought it to play WC3, but if I can find SM1.5 I will have reached nirvana.

Congratulations! My first 3DO (and first game console of any stripe) was an FZ-10 and I loved it dearly. You can absolutely find SM1.5, it's included with Super Wing Commander. It doesn't really have a name, it's just campaign three of Super Wing Commander (Campaign 2, maybe? I can't remember if Vega is 0 or 1...)

I was confused when he said he's looking for Secret Missions 1.5 for 3DO as if it was another game. Anyways, I will try to get footage of SM 1.5 if I can tell when I get to it.

Excellent! It will be the missions that start immediately after you fight the Kilrathi "Sivar" dreadnought; the first series is "Tartarus."

Excellent! It will be the missions that start immediately after you fight the Kilrathi "Sivar" dreadnought; the first series is "Tartarus."

Cool, I will keep my eye out. I might play some more SWC today and try to get there. Considering i'm getting close to the end of the main campaign now. I will make sure to record videos of those missions for you guys to see.

EDIT: It says here that the Border Zone is the first of the 1.5 missions. Should I start recording videos from there?

https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Category:The_Secret_Missions_1.5

Weird I'm keeping my eye on the Secret Missions 1.5 wiki and my missions aren't matching up at all. What's the deal with that?

Ah! There's an earlier Border Zone series in regular The Secret Missions. That's likely where you are now.

Ah! There's an earlier Border Zone series in regular The Secret Missions. That's likely where you are now.

Yes, I just realized SM 1.5 has an exclusive Border Zone mission, I am now back on track with the Midgaard sector. I guess it's the regular SM1 from here on out till after Vidgrid.

I kept separate saves though, so I'll try to make a video of both the exclusive Border Zone mission and the rest of SM1.5

Yes, I just realized SM 1.5 has an exclusive Border Zone mission, I am now back on track with the Midgaard sector. I guess it's the regular SM1 from here on out till after Vidgrid.

I kept separate saves though, so I'll try to make a video of both the exclusive Border Zone mission and the rest of SM1.5

Btw, how many mission failures or ejections am I allowed before going to the failure route of SM1?

Also, I just went back to the beginning of Border Zone missions and can't seem to find the mission detailed here...

https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Alpha_Wing_(Border_Zone_System)_(SM1.5)

It goes straight to Midgaard after this one.

https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Epsilon_Wing_2_(Border_Zone_System)_(SM1)

When does the exclusive sm1.5 border zone mission occur?

Once you get to Border Zone, any mission failure will send you on the losing path. You can see from the mission trees on the top level here.

The first mission you linked is in SM1.5. It's actually the first mission of the campaign. The second system in SM1.5 is Tartarus. For WC1/addons we've got mission trees in WCPedia on the top level. You can see SM1.5 is a straight shot campaign here.

Once you get to Border Zone, any mission failure will send you on the losing path. You can see from the mission trees on the top level here.

The first mission you linked is in SM1.5. It's actually the first mission of the campaign. The second system in SM1.5 is Tartarus. For WC1/addons we've got mission trees in WCPedia on the top level. You can see SM1.5 is a straight shot campaign here.

Oh weird, so you go BACK to Border Zone after beating SM1? So confusing. Well I'll keep plowing away at SM1 so I can record that footage for you guys. I think I'm at the first Jotunheim mission and the game is getting pretty hard.

Back