Here's a question on WC Canon...

Falcon988

Commodore
After the Battle of Earth why didn't the Kilrathi complete the construction of those Hakaga carriers? They only sent five to Earth but there were others that weren't completed yet. But I never heard of a single one of these being completed and deployed after that campaign.

Well, I'm not an expert on this. The Kilrathi had used a considerable amount of their resources to construct these carriers, their transport capacity, and a lot of manpower to create these ships. However, with their unsuccessful attempt to destroy Earth, and if I were in their position, I would disband the project and concentrate all of the resources, transports, manpower elsewhere.

If you remember correctly, in Fleet Action, the Kilrathi were in deep trouble in the transport area.

Also, most of the best Kilrathi pilots were lost in the Battle of Earth, so that meant that they had to spread what was left more thinly--they could not afford to once again withdraw three or four thousand from the front lines to staff carriers the size of the Hakaga. Notice that in all of WC3, we encounter only a single fleet carrier--one Bhantkara in the Kilrah series, and one of the immense Hvar'kann dreadnoughts in the Sol mission if you lose the game. All of the rest of the time we are going up against destroyers and Fralthi II's. I would suspect that outside of the fleet that they were assembling for their second attack on Earth at the end of WC3, the Kilrathi had hundreds of Fralthis, but less than a dozen fleet carriers.

Ijuin said:
Notice that in all of WC3, we encounter only a single fleet carrier--one Bhantkara in the Kilrah series, and one of the immense Hvar'kann dreadnoughts in the Sol mission if you lose the game. All of the rest of the time we are going up against destroyers and Fralthi II's. I would suspect that outside of the fleet that they were assembling for their second attack on Earth at the end of WC3, the Kilrathi had hundreds of Fralthis, but less than a dozen fleet carriers.

The proportions are probably tipped even more towards the Fralthis. We do actually see two Bhantkaras in Ariel missions, one in Freya and one in Hyperion. One can also appear in Proxima, though I don't think there's one in Kilrah. They should be a much more rare item than the light carriers however.

Sort of expanding on some of the information above, the Hakaga fleet was made way out in the middle of nowhere. It was a gigantic pain to transport all the materials out there, and they were straining to do so. It might've made more sense to focus that stuff on regular carriers, dreadnoughts, etc more locally.

ChrisReid said:
Sort of expanding on some of the information above, the Hakaga fleet was made way out in the middle of nowhere. It was a gigantic pain to transport all the materials out there, and they were straining to do so. It might've made more sense to focus that stuff on regular carriers, dreadnoughts, etc more locally.

So far out of the way the kilrathi had to establish a refitting depot at the halfway point because of the amount of jumps required.

One would like to think that the kilrathi would have finished all the major vessels out in Hari because they were already a large investment and the other hakagas were close to completion. Afterwards they must have been able to reactivate some of the shipyards nearer Kilrah at higher capacity and maybe even repair the damage to the major facility on their second moon.

Even with the losses suffered at BoT the kilrathi still had managed to save a good porition of their pilots. They would have been used to restock the 20 some odd carriers the kilrathi had not committed to the Earth attack because of a lack of pilots and transport/support ability. Which like Chris said was due to the fact that Hari was a pain in the ass to get to.

Falcon988 said:
After the Battle of Earth why didn't the Kilrathi complete the construction of those Hakaga carriers? They only sent five to Earth but there were others that weren't completed yet. But I never heard of a single one of these being completed and deployed after that campaign.

Maybe they were too busy fighting the war, since they were at peace when the built the supercarriers.

Nope. I think you're confusing a Hakaga for one of the other ships in False Colors. The plot deals with a Bhantkara-class carrier (KIS Karga/FRLS Mjolnir) throughout the book. A Hvar'kann-class dreadnought makes an appearance in the book too.

Delance said:
Maybe they were too busy fighting the war, since they were at peace when the built the supercarriers.

Production of the Hakaga fleet began in 2662.

Anyway, it seems that being too busy with the war effort is a reasonable suposition. Or perhaps they are simply not mentioned.

Delance said:
Anyway, it seems that being too busy with the war effort is a reasonable suposition.

Not fully. They almost completed the fleet while maintaining the war effort. Various other factors would have made other classes of ships more attractive to produce.

Delance said:
Or perhaps they are simply not mentioned.

That's a possibility.

Back