Having problems with privateer 2

marty6

Spaceman
I've tried just about everything know to mankind just trying to install the game. Nothing seems to work. I've tried installing it from win98...no go. I've tried installing it in dos...no go. I've tried installing it to winxp pro...no go.

In dos, I can get to the install.exe command and I hit enter. I get to the setup screen and sellect Joystick, drive "g:\dark" (I changed out the directory)" Music card...sb compatible 100%, but when it comes to the music card, I can choose any one of the sellections, and then I get an automatic reboot. This happens in Dos, win98, and winxp. Any ideas here? I'm stuck.

Specs:
KK266+R w/1ghz Athlon Tbird
Voodoo3 3000 agp
1cdrom, 1cdburner
2 hard drives on raid array (drive c: is on the array w/win98)
1 hd on an IDE channel (drive d: is on the ide channel w/winxp pro. I have a dual boot system.
1 ls120 drive.
sblive value

the setup for the sblive value is w/ the sb 16 emulation driver v. 3.06

Is there a way to setup Privateer 2 without the music card? This is driving me nuts.

Appreciate any help

Post your autoexec.bat and config.sys. I what to see if the DOS drivers for the SBLive is install correct. You are using the DOS version of P2?

Hi there!

I'm not really using the dos drivers, but here is the autoexec.bat and config.sys setups. Remember, I'm using a dual boot system. I really would like to get this game off the ground. The music part of the setup always reboots the system. No way out of this......
I don't know of any pure dos drivers for the sblive value cards. And, how does one get this to play in Winxp??? I do not have the old dos 6.22 diskettes anymore. Or rather, the diskettes will not work on this system that I have currently running. I've have tried the win98 method of setting up the game, but when I get to the setup menu for sound, music, drive letter, and controller, I always get a reboot, when I use the automatic part of finding the device and also with the manual settings. When I went into win98 (dos window) I used the setsound options. I selected sb16 for both sound and music and when I pressed "done" it would not save the selections. I used the sbeset - c option in dos mode to see what the setup was with the sb16 emulator.
A 220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6. I can not change IRQ to 5 because the sblive card uses irq 5. If there is a fix for this, could it work with privateer I?

Autoexecut.bat
@ECHO OFF
CLS
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS;
PATH=C:\
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEXE.EXE /d:MSCDOOO /M:30 /E
SET CTSY=C:\WINDOWS
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
c:\cdrom\mscdex.exe /d:eek:emcd001 /L:d
LH C:\MSMOUSE\MOUSE

Config.sys
[MENU]
MENUITEM=SETUP_CD, START WING COMMANDER IV FROM CD-ROM.
MENUITEM=CD, START COMPUTER WITH CD-ROM SUPPORT.
MENUITEM=NO CD, START COMPUTER WITHOUT CD-ROM SUPPORT.
MENUDEFAULT=SETUP_CD,30
MENUCOLOR=7,0

[SETUP_CD]
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=EMM386.EXE ram
dos=high,umb
DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:OEMCD001
DEVICE=BTDOSM.SYS
DEVICE=FLASHPT.SYS
DEVICE=BTCDROM.SYS /D:OEMCD001
DEVICE=ASPI2DOS.SYS
DEVICE=ASPI8DOS.SYS
DEVICE=ASPI4DOS.SYS
DEVICE=ASPI8U2.SYS
DEVICE=ASPICD.SYS /D:OEMCD001

[CD]
DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
device=emm386.exe ram
dos=high,umb
DEVICE=OAKCDROM.SYS /D:OEMCD001
DEVICE=BTDOSM.SYS
DEVICE=FLASHPT.SYS
DEVICE=BTCDROM.SYS /D:OEMCD001
DEVICE=ASPI2DOS.SYS
DEVICE=ASPI8DOS.SYS
DEVICE=ASPI4DOS.SYS
DEVICE=ASPI8U2.SYS
DEVICE=ASPICD.SYS /D:OEMCD001

[NO CD]
DEVICE=HIMEm.SYS /TESTMEM:OFF
DEVICE=EMM386.EXE ram

[COMMON]
FILES=50
BUFFERS=50
DOS=HIGH,UMB
STACKS=9,256
LASTDRIVE=Z

Rick

OOps

Almost forgot,

In the readme file it states: Privateer 2 PCCD (windows version)
but this game can be loaded in through DOS. In the Directory called "manual". I used the manual.bat command and loaded the files to a different drive. But when I tried to used the "Dark" command, it stated that I needed to download the game. In the "Gateway" directory, I used the Gateway command and placed the shortcut on my desktop, but and followed the instructions from this site about setting up privateer 2 for win95 and selecting the option of Prevent ms dos based programs from detecting from detecting windows. Why not use MS Dos mode only? and leave the other two unchecked?

rick

So your using the Windows version of P2. You are also dual booting with XP and Win98.

First lets look that Win98. Make sure that SB16 Emulation is installed.

Make sure these lines are in the autoexec.bat and config.sys
--Autoexec.bat--
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
---Config.sys---
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

Now to assign the SB16 Emulation to IRQ 5 go into your BIOS under PCI/PNP Configuation and change IRQ 5 from Auto to Legacy.

Also make sure to run Defrag and Scandisk. You should now be able to install P2. Make sure you use Auto-Detect to configure the sound card.

XP: To get 16 bit sound you'll need VDMSound
http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/

Back