Happy Canada Day

Long story short, it's the Canadian version of the US's July 4th.

(Somewhat simplified, perhaps, but gets the basic idea across.)

Iceman16 said:
pretty much what Death said, except we get drunk on better beer. and shoot fireworks at each other. :D

I will give you that. There's a nice Canadian beer at the liqour stores in cans and its pretty cheap for high point beer. I forgot the name. It's in a green and white can.

I can only get it in the liquor stores cause we have strange laws here...

Sarty said:
That WAS a joke right?

Either that, or he was asking if there's a "nation founding" holiday for the UK like Independence Day for the US.

TTBOMK, while there are quite a few uniquely British holidays, there isn't an equivalent of July 4th. Which would be kinda difficult to do anyway, as there's any number of dates to pick. :)

Death said:
TTBOMK, while there are quite a few uniquely British holidays, there isn't an equivalent of July 4th. Which would be kinda difficult to do anyway, as there's any number of dates to pick. :)
Actually, that's the problem - there really aren't any clear-cut candidates to choose from. Britain hasn't really been occupied or otherwise taken over since 1066 - and it would be kinda weird to celebrate the date of an invasion as your independence day.

Being a Canadian, I should probably get a little hyped on Canada day... but instead I opted to work for some over-time pay :)

Besides, I'm a French-Canadian. That means I REALLY go to party mode on June 24th (Saint-Jean-Baptiste day). That's a pretty big deal in the province of Quebec. The one day of the year where we play all of our local music and pretend that it's the best in the world! Good dancing, fireworks, big fires and really cheap beer (the girls around here are quite sexy, so the quality of alcohol isn't important)

Marc said:
Besides, I'm a French-Canadian. That means I REALLY go to party mode on June 24th (Saint-Jean-Baptiste day).
Same here. Canada Day leaves me cold, but I respect our fellow Canadians (and Québécois) who feel like celebrating it.

The closest thing we have here in England is St George's Day which is on April 23rd.
This is our 'national holiday' although we still work on this day. Its just a normal day and isn't really celebrated in any great manner - perhaps a small parade or something down London's main roads, but that would be mostly it.

And yes, there isn't a national day for Britain, its all England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland.
England - St George's Day - April 23rd
Scotland - St Andrew's Day - November 30th
Wales - St David's Day - March 1st
Ireland - St Patrick's Day - March 17th

Each are the patron saint of their country - in other worlds, I think they're supposed to suddenly appear or something to save the country when its at its greatest peril.

I should think that St Patrick's day would be most familiar to the world seeing as its the one out of the four that tends to be celebrated more (don't have a clue why this is).

Sometimes I wish I was Canadian, as my birthday is on Canada Day - what a day that would be - drink until I almost die!

Percy said:
I should think that St Patrick's day would be most familiar to the world seeing as its the one out of the four that tends to be celebrated more (don't have a clue why this is).

That's because we use it as an excuse to get plowed on green beer. ;)

Back