Halsey Class Heavy Fleet Carrier Renders

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
Here are renders of my carrier. Its set as a next generation version of the Vesuvius introduced in prehaps 2685 when the Midway production is slowing down. The stats will be posted shortly.

dorsal1fo.jpg

forward9ri.jpg

mainhull5yh.jpg

port2nb.jpg

Enjoy!

the ships looks very long and not so manouverable., perhaps a more shortened and wider version of this model? unless its the size of the behemoth ofcourse?

I like the overall design but the length is like totally uber massive cross-section

bombers could have a hayday with that thing cause you can just kind of shoot at it and you'd probably hit it.

Its only a hundred meters longer than the vesuvius. It only looks too long because the 'island' isn't as wide as I want, which I want to change. Its designed with no offensive weapons, but has heavy armor and high shields to take hits.

I like how it looks like a combination of early-war strike carrier (Bengal) combined with pre-war light carrier (Ranger).

Kinda like a "what would a WC3-era striker carrier look like?"

Its not all too cramped. Since its 2685, more automation has come into play, meaning the crew required to operate the carrier is less, leaving more room for fighter storage.

The stats are as following:

Length: 1,700m (5,731 feet - Five times the length of a Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier)
Beam: 155 m (508 Feet)
Mass: 265,200 metric tonnes (583,440,000 pounds)
Max Velocity: 150 kps
Cruise Velocity: 100 kps
Y/P/R: 5/5/5
Shields: Phase - 6,000cm equivalent
Bridge Armor: 2,000 cm
Engine Armor: 1,600 cm
Launch Bay Armor: 1,800 cm
Hull Armor: 1,500 cm
Core Strength: 50,000
Armament: (28) Dual Laser Cannons, (06) Dual Mass Drivers, (05) IFF Missile Launchers.
Fighter Craft: 415
Support Craft: 30
Crew: 4,500

Sylvester said:
Its not all too cramped. Since its 2685, more automation has come into play, meaning the crew required to operate the carrier is less, leaving more room for fighter storage.

The stats are as following:

Length: 1,700m (5,731 feet - Five times the length of a Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier)
Beam: 155 m (508 Feet)
Mass: 265,200 metric tonnes (583,440,000 pounds)
Max Velocity: 150 kps
Cruise Velocity: 100 kps
Y/P/R: 5/5/5
Shields: Phase - 6,000cm equivalent
Bridge Armor: 2,000 cm
Engine Armor: 1,600 cm
Launch Bay Armor: 1,800 cm
Hull Armor: 1,500 cm
Core Strength: 50,000
Armament: (28) Dual Laser Cannons, (06) Dual Mass Drivers, (05) IFF Missile Launchers.
Fighter Craft: 415
Support Craft: 30
Crew: 4,500

So where do the fighters go? :D At 155m wide and 1700m long, it's less than a tenth of its width across... and damned long, but how much usable volume do we have for fighter storage, parts storage, expendables storage, crew, engines, etc? Even if we pretend the armor's paper-thin, and that there's only a few crew on there (but the ship's going to need to carry ground crews for the fighters, at the very least), it's going to be very cramped because the volume's rather tiny. And is this any cheaper or more capable than the Vesuvius ships, much less the Midways? It's pretty big as it is, and carries a LOT more fighters than the latter.

Personally, I tend to try to avoid comparing WC ships to 'real' ships, at least in the stats, if only because that looks kinda bad.

You know.. its funny.. just in its basic shape, its fairly similar to one of the original design concepts for the Midway.. before we went with the Gingerbread-man shape..

Its designed as the Vesuvius's replacement, to enter service c. 2688, when the Vesuvius would have been 15 years old. I don't want to have to modify the damned model, making it wider would be a bitch.

Loaf mentioned that the Midway was not a replacement for the Vesuvius, but a cheaper and less armored ship that would be more centered than the older fleet specific carriers such as the Vesuvius. The Vesuvius was heavily armed and armored, my vessel doesn't have much in the way of offensive firepower but it does have heavier shields and armor, plus a few more fighters. The multiple launch bays are taken from the Lexington class design as a way to limit fighter damage.

I still think it's ilogical to make a ship with this lengthxwidth ratio. Especially when it doesn't need to be aero/hydrodinamical.

From getting general demensions by creating a ratio between the measured length and width of a Vesuvius drawing and its actual length at 1600m, I determine that the Vesuvius is roughly 190m wide, thats not too much wider.

Sylvester said:
From getting general demensions by creating a ratio between the measured length and width of a Vesuvius drawing and its actual length at 1600m, I determine that the Vesuvius is roughly 190m wide, thats not too much wider.

The Vesuvius is both wider and taller than your fleet carrier here, which means a massive increase in terms of usable volume. Remember that the Vesuvius also had those two cigar-shaped protrusions on either side of the main launch bay, and maintains that extra width throughout the length of the ship up to the engines, which at a rough guess increases the volume by about 30-40% over what we're seeing here. That's significant, given that you'll need to either store replacement parts or have the facilities onboard to manufacture new parts or munitions... which in turn take space to store the factories and then the storage bays for created munitions or parts, or for raw materials when you don't have time to mine an asteroid field or cometary cloud.

Widening it up or making the main body a bit taller wouldn't hurt you, and would give you an increase of volume which seems to be necessary in carrier operations.

Back