Goodbye, Carrie Fisher (December 27, 2016)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator

Like many of you, we at the CIC were saddened to hear of Carrie Fisher's passing this morning. It'd be hard to be a fan of Wing Commander and not share a great appreciation for the the sci-fi saga that had the greatest influence on its creation. Princess Leia inspired a generation of Jeannette Devereauxes and similarly strong characters in both sci-fi and the real world. There are many proper eulogies that give her due credit for all of her work off the screen as well, but for now we'll leave you with this endearing statement from Mark Hamill. May she rest in peace.

It's never easy to lose such a vital, irreplaceable member of the family, but this is downright heartbreaking. Carrie was one-of-a-kind who belonged to us all- whether she liked it or not. She was OUR Princess, damn it, & the actress who played her blurred into one gorgeous, fiercely independent & ferociously funny, take-charge woman who took our collective breath away. Determined & tough, but with a vulnerability that made you root for her & want her to succeed & be happy. She played such a crucial role in my professional & personal life, & both would have been far emptier without her. I am grateful for the laughter, the wisdom, the kindness & even the bratty, self-indulgent crap my beloved space-twin gave me through the years. Thanks Carrie. I love you, mh

--
Original update published on December 27, 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
Rest in peace, Carrie.

To the First Lady of modern Sci-Fi, I tip my hat.

Last edited:
Don't get all mushy on my. So long, Princess!

15726548_1053560578089111_2212500253380951308_n.jpg

I am really upset by this, but I wouldn't blame the year like everyone else does, Years of hard drug abuse can take it's toll on a person. Sometimes these celebrities cause their own early deaths with such lifestyles.

This and Kenny Baker upset me quite a bit this year, but that Mark Hamill tweet literally brought me to tears. I never actually thought I would hate a year so much. 2016 feels malevolent.

Lots of amazing people die every year, so I don't think this year (2016) was particularly exceptional in that regard. However, I feel our generation has gotten to the point where *our* cultural touchstones have all aged ahead of us and we're at the apex of the curve. It's certainly been doing a number on many of my friends and their life outlook. The things that shaped our youth slip away as we speak and it is reinforcing those notions of mortality that as a youth were either ambiguous concepts or willfully ignored. Just the other day, a friend had a heart attack. I'm 4 years his senior, and I by no means consider myself remotely old. He left behind a couple of young daughters. It's definitely led to many moments of quiet introspection.

Anyway, I didn't know Carrie Fisher, But her work (mostly Star Wars) definitely had a huge impact on me. Honestly I was always more of a Trekkie and Wingnut. The influence of Star Wars is impossible to ignore on all pop culture that came after it. Carrie Fisher was a large part of that. We're all here on the WC CIC forums because of a mutual love for Wing Commander, which in many ways owes it's existence to Star Wars. She may be gone, but she'll continue to have a lasting influence.

Her death is the only "celebrity death" that actually moved me more than any other death does (no, that's not correct: Douglas Adams' death did also upset me more than usual). Rest in peace.

(Coincidentally, I re-watched Episode IV on the 26th because I saw Rogue One the week before).

Back