GOG Wing Commander 2 Special Ops Help Needed

Gunner67

Spaceman
So I'm usually pretty good at trouble shooting my way through get old games to work on new systems but I'm hitting a brick wall trying to get the GOG version of WC2 SO1 to work...I have two options I can run from the Star Menu short cut and I will have choppy inflight audio that will cause the console in the cockpit to glitch (I'll have the talking head on it but the audio clips after a few words and I have to manually change the console by hitting "target" or "damage report")...or I when I use drag and drop from the SO1 dos box file it'll play the inflight audio properly but then crash after launching autopilot.

I've searched all over the internet to find a solution and have no luck, it anyone on here can help me it would be much appreciated.

I have a video available to msg anyone who needs to see it that show you exactly what I mean with the issue I encounter when running the GOG shortcut.

Hello, this might not help, but have you tried launching the game, then ALT+TAB back to desktop, bring up Task Manager and close explorer.exe?

I use it as a general fix to DOSBox related glitches, but your problem may be deeper than that. Let us know how it goes.

I'm thinking it's something with the audio settings, maybe even something I can edit in the config file but I'm not having much luck googling for anyone with the duplicate problem.

Have you tried running the loadfix on the executable? Sometimes that helps WC2 DOSBox freezing/audio issues.

Have you tried running the loadfix on the executable? Sometimes that helps WC2 DOSBox freezing/audio issues.
This.

Before activating the game try the loadfix, I believe I used 16 and it's flawless. The errors you're reporting sound exactly like what happens without that extra command.

When I discovered the loadfix ... fix... I experimented with it a lot with Wing Commander II. You can actually simply loadfix away one kilobyte (loadfix -1) and Wing Commander II will be as stable as if you had allocated away more. The requirement here is that WC2 must not see 640k of free low memory, 639 or less, it will be fine.

Back