GOG releases vs KS/DOSBox

Crow4ever

Captain
A bit confused about these GOG releases. Are they emulated through DOSBox? And if so, is there any advantage to purchasing the GOG version as opposed to using the original (or KS) version and setting that up through DOSBox on your own? (Or more aptly put, is there a reason to buy the GOG release if you already have the Kilrathi Saga?)

I'm all for supporting the GOG releases, especially if it helps the Wing Commander (and Ultima) franchises in the future. But I just want to understand exactly we're getting, here.

A bit confused about these GOG releases. Are they emulated through DOSBox? And if so, is there any advantage to purchasing the GOG version as opposed to using the original (or KS) version and setting that up through DOSBox on your own? (Or more aptly put, is there a reason to buy the GOG release if you already have the Kilrathi Saga?)

I'm all for supporting the GOG releases, especially if it helps the Wing Commander (and Ultima) franchises in the future. But I just want to understand exactly we're getting, here.

Hey, as I am sure you know this is a DOS release, it needs DosBox. I am sure the guys on here can give better descriptions, however, the KS version has some improved (or upscaled) sounds - which may sound better than the original dos version. Other than that, if you are running Windows 7, you may have some trouble running the KS version (i.e. colour palette issues) which the GOG runs without any trouble. The GOG version has recieved some complaints of "framerate issues", something to do with cpu cycles, which the KS version does not; though I have not had much issue with this until the 13th mission, or so, on the winning side of the campaign. Got to say, still love it for nostalgia. To put it simpy, if the KS already runs on your PC there is no point in re-purchasing what your already own, but atleast it shows EA there is interest in an old IP!

P.S. sorry, maybe need to put some ammendments to what is already posted. The version you download from GOG will run straight off the bat, if you run it in admin mode, and make a small change to the config file if you want soundblaster sounds (if you dont have a roland card).

The GOG releases are the DOS versions of the games with their own DOSbox configuration.

And there's always a reason to buy Wing Commander..."because we're here, because we're here."

Don't worry, I plan on purchasing the GOG release (of WC and all the Ultimas), regardless. For one, to support the love of the old games. And also, because I hold out the slimmest of hopes that somehow, some way, this might help bring about a new WC (and Ultima) in the future. (Well, one can dream, right?)

But being that I already have all of the separate WC's, and the Kilrathi Saga, I was just wondering if there was any real advantage to the GOG release - especially since I'm going to have to go to one of the alternatives to play the add-ons anyway (at least for now).

I'm trying to get an answer to this too, hopefully by someone technical. I have problems with Kilrathi Saga, it plays poorly in Windows and Dosbox IMO, nothing like the original game does on an old 386. I have worse problems if I try to run the original DOS version of Wing Commander (moreso WC2) via dosbox though, in that simultaneous key presses don't register properly so flying is bloody hard, had this problem on all PCs i've tried running Dosbox. I have an old 386 though and obviously DOS Wing Commander plays beautifully on it.

My question is, is this GOG release of Wing Commander just the DOS version being run in Dosbox or has the actual game had some unique modifications to function on a modern PC? I can install my DOS copy of WC and run it in Dosbox but it plays poorly so in order to buy this there needs to be a difference. It's especially the key press issue with WC2 i'm bothered about.

It's the DOS version of the game running in a custom setup of DOSbox that is setup to run WC to the best of its abilities. I've never had issues with WC1 in DOSBox. WC2 on the other hand is hard to find the perfect cycle setting to keep the frame rate stable.

Well it's been over ten years since I played WC3. I recently acquired both the KS and GOG versions. I am so psyched!
Get them both.

Back