Gentoo AMD64

Xan

Spaceman
Hello,

I can't get the game to work on Gentoo 2005.0 for AMD64. The installer drops back to the shell right after decompression. I'm able to extract the files and attempt to run the program anyway, but whichever way I try to run the vegastrike binary, I get an immediate segmentation fault.

I had better luck with this alternative installer; the game ran, but it was missing critical functionality (eg, the commodity exchange and ship merchant had no goods). I had to copy the vegastrike.config file from the original distribution to get that far.

I've got an Athlon 64 3000+, nforce3 chipset, GeForce 4400, 512MB RAM. The latest Gentoo packages as far as xorg, nvidia drivers, etc. Kernel 2.6.9-gentoo-r4.

Please help!

Solution

The solution was to move the vegastrike binary from the alternative installer into the other installer's directory.

I'm on Ubuntu (Debian-based build) and haven't been able to get anything Vega Strike-related working on my AMD64 system. Mine's an Athlon64 3000+, VIA chipset, 1GB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600SE. I realize I'll have to run with the software renderer but I'm not worried about that with this game, I have like 10x the horsepower necessary to do that. :p

Back