Future of WC Saga

Hi guys. So what is the story about Origin disconntinuing WC saga? Is Origin really dumping such a good game? or are there any plans to make newer saga/version for WC?

Natalie
smile.gif
)

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now, OSI is concentrating on Ultima Online games, so no WC for us.
frown.gif

However, that won't last forver and sooner or later they'll make other games. Whether they'll be SP, or MMP games, I don't see why OSI wouldn't bring back one of their most popular series. So, WC can always come back, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

WC is still going, just not from the buisiness aspect. Fan efforts have risen since the news has hit and we are now renewing the quest to add fan made games, and add-ons.

Oh yeah, welcome to the WCCICCZ Natalie!
------------------
Briceland
Support the WCESRP to guarantee WC a future
A wingmen is essential; they give the enemy something else to shoot at.

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited April 13, 2000).]

Wing Commander is still alive, in a technical sense. Origin says that they have not permeantly dumped WC, but its more like putting your winter coat in storage during the Summer Time. WC will eventually come back (I hope) but for the time being we have some great fan based games coming out.

------------------
Aaron"SpaceDust"Heston
spacedust4@hotmail.com

IMO, OSI is making a serious mistake by shutting down the WC series, even if it may be only temporary.
WC was always a game that explored new aspects in computer gaming. Back in '91, when WC1 was launched, it was something completely new and original. Or the use of FMV in WC3/4! Also something new and revolutionary (ok, that may be a bit exaggerated!
smile.gif
)!
By closing the series down even temporarily OSI/EA will lose their edge on the field of space sims and let other companies (DA, perhaps?) take over.

Oh, and welcome to the CIC, Natalie!
smile.gif

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

WC isn't dead (it'll never be!) it's just, as long as EA is conserned, in a coma...a deep Deep coma

(!Controle Your Anger!)
wink.gif

------------------
"Just close your eyes and pretend it's Wing Commander"

****Originally posted by Nighthawk:
IMO, OSI is making a serious mistake by shutting down the WC series, even if it may be only temporary.****

They're just doing what'll bring them money. Soner or later they'll realise that they can't make UO's forever.

****WC was always a game that explored new aspects in computer gaming. Back in '91, when WC1 was launched, it was something completely new and original.****

Wasn't it released in '90? And there was already Elite, and Star Raiders (?), so many people don't consider WC to be exactly original.

****Or the use of FMV in WC3/4! Also something new and revolutionary (ok, that may be a bit exaggerated!
smile.gif
)!****

Well, games had FMV several years before WC3, but it was never as good. And I've never seen any conversation choiced during the cutscenes before WC3.

****By closing the series down even temporarily OSI/EA will lose their edge on the field of space sims****

But they only care about money, $$$, they won't care if they loose the edge in space sims as long as they can get more money elsewhere.

****and let other companies (DA, perhaps?) take over.****

Well, I'll wait for the first sim from DA before thinking about them taking over the space sim market, and that game is still about a year away. But EA could always get Warthog to do a WC game like they did with P2.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited April 14, 2000).]

***Soner or later they'll realise that they can't make UO's forever.*** - They probably could, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.

***Wasn't it released in '90? And there was already Elite, and Star Raiders (?), so many people don't consider WC to be exactly original.*** - It was, and there were. But for the first time, WC had a proper storyline. I don't know about Star Raiders, but Elite certainly had no story.

***Well, games had FMV several years before WC3, but it was never as good. And I've never seen any conversation choiced during the cutscenes before WC3.*** - More importantly, none of them used it on that scale. I remember, a long ago, hearing a friend tell me that WC 3 just came out with 4 CDs, and I thought he was insane.
smile.gif

***Well, I'll wait for the first sim from DA before thinking about them taking over the space sim market, and that game is still about a year away.*** - Huh? The first sim from DA is Starlancer, and that's coming out this month. But I agree; it is premature to talk about them taking over.

En Taro Wing Commander!
<StarCraft reference>

I just meant DA to be an example of a company that develops spacs sims.

Oh, and for the release date of WC1: I was refering to the German version's release.

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

*****but Elite certainly had no story.**** Or graphics for that matter
smile.gif
wink.gif

i belive Star Raiders was a game of end 1992 or begining 1993...(really Really REALLY not sure though
wink.gif
)

------------------
"Just close your eyes and pretend it's Wing Commander"

Originally posted by Quarto:
***They probably could, but let's hope it doesn't come to that.***

Well, it certenly would be stupid to do that.... But with all the changes they made lately....

***It was, and there were. But for the first time, WC had a proper storyline.***

Yup, that's one of the many areas where WC was revolutionary.

***Huh? The first sim from DA is Starlancer, and that's coming out this month.***

No, SL is from Warthog, just like P2. So if we want to see a space sim from DA we'll have to wait for FreeLancer which is coming next year.

***i belive Star Raiders was a game of end 1992 or begining 1993...(really Really REALLY not sure though )***

Well, maybe I got the title wrong, but there was something with "raiders" in it that came out some years before WC.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited April 15, 2000).]

Back