Free-XBox Live Gold question

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Hi there!

So, I bought myself a XBox 360 on Ebay, should arrive at the end of the week. It comes with a free 24 hours XBox Live gold voucher.
So, simple question: does 24 hours mean 24 hours of gaming time, regardless on when I want use them - e.g. three hours today, six tomorrow, eleven in August... - (which would be sweet) or does it mean that I log in and then have I for 24 hours access to XBox live gold but the next day, it's gone (which I fear is the case).

Thanks in advance!

All of the gold vouchers are for a set time, regardless of how much you actually use it.

free xbl membership

Hey Guys, here's one thing to note. As you may know, gold memberships cost $50 and silver memberships are free. However when you create your gamertag if you create a silver membership you are offered a free one month trial updrage to a gold membership. So what this means is that when arena comes out and you sign up for a gamertag you can use it to play online for free for one month.

Thought so - too bad. Thanks for the quick reply.

(Off-topic: I was quite a bit pissed when I heard that the XBox360 was not deliverd with a WLan antenna - 70 € for it is really too much money I think).

Hey Guys, heres a little tip about the 24 hour trial xbox live gold memberships. You don't actually need them. When you create a xbox live account, a gold membership cost like $50, however a silver membership is free. I know you're saying but a silver membership can't play online, heres the good part. When you sign up for a silver membership you automatically qualify for a one month free gold trial membership. So you can upgrade your silver membership to gold for FREE. Now this only last's a month so you're going to want to buy the gold one anyway, but this way you can play Arena online the day it comes out without shelling out the extra $50 right away.

Having the WiFi annetenna myself, I have to say that its totally worth the money.

Really? What does it do, except having no need for a cable?
My USB-WLan stick for my notebook cost me 20 € almost two years ago, I can't understand why the antenna for the XBox is so pricey. No, I'll just pop the 5 meter LAN cable in and out whenever I need it. Luckily, my flat is that small. ;)

I don't think I'll get the Gold account (so less reason for the WLan as well), at least I'll limit myself to free vouchers or short abonnements for the time being.
Besides, that camera package seems not to be available in Germany.

Thanks for the info, though micahync.

Really? What does it do, except having no need for a cable?
My USB-WLan stick for my notebook cost me 20 € almost two years ago, I can't understand why the antenna for the XBox is so pricey.

First-party accessories are always like that. A generic SD memory card rebranded for the Wii is two to three times as expensive as one labeled for a digital camera. You can just plug your plain old 20 € wireless box into the back of the XBox if you don't want to splurge for the more expensive one that matches color/texture/shape though.

I don't think I'll get the Gold account (so less reason for the WLan as well), at least I'll limit myself to free vouchers or short abonnements for the time being.
Besides, that camera package seems not to be available in Germany.

The price works out to just $3-4 a month. If you think you'd use it 24 hours' worth over the span of several months, then the price would seem to be well worth it and minor compared to the cost of the system and games.

First-party accessories are always like that. A generic SD memory card rebranded for the Wii is two to three times as expensive as one labeled for a digital camera. You can just plug your plain old 20 € wireless box into the back of the XBox if you don't want to splurge for the more expensive one that matches color/texture/shape though.

That works? Because all the forums I browsed (not too many, granted) said that only the one from MS works. What sort of device should be fitting? Is it just an antenna or more?

The price works out to just $3-4 a month. If you think you'd use it 24 hours' worth over the span of several months, then the price would seem to be well worth it and minor compared to the cost of the system and games.

Of course, it's the best deal. But I just have a problem with such things: if I pay for something like that, I always have the feeling I have to play at least so and so long or I have wasted the money. And since I am no fan of online play and I'll only have Arena for it. I don't know.
Still, I am becoming more open to it since a friend who bought himself a XBox as well (his has already arrived, mine not, grr), said he'll probably get it. Maybe I'll get it for a year and then I'll see how I like it.

My mistake. I thought you were questioning having a WiFi connection at all!

Oh no, I remember the trouble of drilling lots of holes through walls at my parent's only too well. :)

That works? Because all the forums I browsed (not too many, granted) said that only the one from MS works. What sort of device should be fitting? Is it just an antenna or more?

The first party one plugs into the USB port, and the confusion might be that other USB wifi adapters might not work plugged in that way. But the 360 also has a standard ethernet port on the back, and you can plug anything into that I think. If there is some kind of special configuration required, you may have to set it up while plugged into a PC first.

Of course, it's the best deal. But I just have a problem with such things: if I pay for something like that, I always have the feeling I have to play at least so and so long or I have wasted the money. And since I am no fan of online play and I'll only have Arena for it. I don't know.

The problem I have is that it seems kinda weird to happily spend $410 to play half a game, but not $460 to play the entire game. :) I'd pay $50 to race around the multiplayer maps with someone for an afternoon.

Still, I am becoming more open to it since a friend who bought himself a XBox as well (his has already arrived, mine not, grr), said he'll probably get it. Maybe I'll get it for a year and then I'll see how I like it.

There's also the dozens of Crius.net regulars who you can link up with online. There'll probably be other games that come along that appeal to you as well.

Sorry it took me so long. Anyway, I got my XBox yesterday but haven't had the opportunity to play a lot.

The first party one plugs into the USB port, and the confusion might be that other USB wifi adapters might not work plugged in that way. But the 360 also has a standard ethernet port on the back, and you can plug anything into that I think. If there is some kind of special configuration required, you may have to set it up while plugged into a PC first.

Hmm, since the 5m cable is long enough for me, I'll stick to it, plugging it in and out as I need it. But others may find it interesting as an information. Though, since cables are that cheap at the moment, I guess they'll keep to them as long as it's possible.

The problem I have is that it seems kinda weird to happily spend $410 to play half a game, but not $460 to play the entire game. :) I'd pay $50 to race around the multiplayer maps with someone for an afternoon.

You're right, I've come to that conclusion as well. I'll at least buy it for one year, see how I like it. But probably only in October, I have a paper to finish and knowing me, I'd get into deep time troubles if I have it before then. But I'll spend any voucher I have before that. :)

There's also the dozens of Crius.net regulars who you can link up with online. There'll probably be other games that come along that appeal to you as well.

Of course, I hope I don't come off as a jerk who doesn't want to play with the people here. I am just not used to it.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

I picked one up last weekend too! :) I got a package that came with a game, an extra wireless controler, an extra recharchable battery and a play and charge kit, plus it had 1250 live points (more than enough for arena) and a card for 3 months of Live gold. So I'm all set!!!

Back