Flight Cmdr 1.3 Released

eddieb said:
I was thinking about a terrain engine, but the effort involved is as much as creating a new engine from scratch. Movie playing is easy, but I haven't seen anyone create one yet.

Some brainstorming/ideas on 1.4 directions. Just ideas, nothing is set in stone.

• More detailed damage model. That is hull damage causes weapons, comms, and afterburners to malfunction. This would be really easy to do if someone would tell me precisely what the rules are in the WCP for this, so I can do something similar.
  • Continue AI improvement
  • Some day turrets will have AI
  • A nice glow effect on weapons and thrusters
  • Add enough scripting to do cutscenes
  • Docking

I like your ideas. :cool: Pass the terrain anyways.

Hey mate haven't played Flight Commander for some time now so my memories a little hazy, but how bout an in-game menu for selecting which bird we wanna take for a spin WC3/WC4 style?
Same goes for ordinance too if possible.

Cool i'll DL it later but i wasn't referring to the sim missions. Something like the loadout terminal blair uses before every mission in WC3/WC4 for the main campaign. Would make a good feature to attract mod makers if it could be turned on-off.
(bit of code similar to the ship selection in the sim to put in after the briefing but before launch perhaps?)

Saw your (i think it was yours anyway...) talking heads revalation on the boards a few days back, perhaps talking to characters aboard the ship as well as being implemented to briefing scenes?

Aplha 1-1 said:
Cool i'll DL it later but i wasn't referring to the sim missions. Something like the loadout terminal blair uses before every mission in WC3/WC4 for the main campaign. Would make a good feature to attract mod makers if it could be turned on-off.
(bit of code similar to the ship selection in the sim to put in after the briefing but before launch perhaps?)
K, I'll think about it
Aplha 1-1 said:
Saw your (i think it was yours anyway...) talking heads revalation on the boards a few days back, perhaps talking to characters aboard the ship as well as being implemented to briefing scenes?
Someone would have to buy crazytalk.

Alright, with all the recent flying in FC, I have come across some nasty bugs--nothing fatal, just terribly annoying.

A) The AI runs up your a** to attack you or any other fighter. You should definitely add a little buffer space code into the AI, so maybe it would not be right on top of me. I mean, all the AI does all day in combat is a series of continuous loops. It's just like the old FC AI fighting capships, loop and shoot. I think a buffer zone would improve the AI's overall combat ability.

Also the AI gets stuck in loops trying to avoid colliding with asteroids, it is very funny.

B) Any craft, friend or foe, can scan cargo.

C) This one is more of a design problem, but I really think the mission time should start when the player enters nav0. I know this has no bearing on the script, but it seems to be more accurate (considering black boxes and all are supposedly where the mission time is kept and the briefing is done before the pilot ever steps onto the flight deck).

D) An inconsistant error with the recording of mission time. Sometimes at the end of a mission, the time will say one hour and some seconds. This does not happen everytime, so I am checking for what might cause this to see if this may be caused by the script (don't think it should) or if this is a hardcode error. Also I will be looking for how long the mission timer has reached before this error occurs.

Has anybody else seen this error?

E) On an earlier bug, I finally found the other culprit for the voice briefing anamolies: the period! It seems to be fairly random, but some sentences cause the text-to-speech device to produce voice anamolies. I think this may be caused by some words and puntuation that comes before the period. I will try to see a pattern, but I won't be too involved in this area considering RG will use voiceovers for briefings.

That is all for now.

Iceblade said:
Alright, with all the recent flying in FC, I have come across some nasty bugs--nothing fatal, just terribly annoying.

A) The AI runs up your a** to attack you or any other fighter. You should definitely add a little buffer space code into the AI, so maybe it would not be right on top of me. I mean, all the AI does all day in combat is a series of continuous loops. It's just like the old FC AI fighting capships, loop and shoot. I think a buffer zone would improve the AI's overall combat ability.

Also the AI gets stuck in loops trying to avoid colliding with asteroids, it is very funny.

B) Any craft, friend or foe, can scan cargo.

C) This one is more of a design problem, but I really think the mission time should start when the player enters nav0. I know this has no bearing on the script, but it seems to be more accurate (considering black boxes and all are supposedly where the mission time is kept and the briefing is done before the pilot ever steps onto the flight deck).

D) An inconsistant error with the recording of mission time. Sometimes at the end of a mission, the time will say one hour and some seconds. This does not happen everytime, so I am checking for what might cause this to see if this may be caused by the script (don't think it should) or if this is a hardcode error. Also I will be looking for how long the mission timer has reached before this error occurs.

Has anybody else seen this error?

E) On an earlier bug, I finally found the other culprit for the voice briefing anamolies: the period! It seems to be fairly random, but some sentences cause the text-to-speech device to produce voice anamolies. I think this may be caused by some words and puntuation that comes before the period. I will try to see a pattern, but I won't be too involved in this area considering RG will use voiceovers for briefings.

That is all for now.

A) Yes, there's still more to do on the attack AI. 1.3's AI improvements mainly concentrated on formation flying, and using afterburners. The will have to wait till 1.4.

B) Hmm. To get identified, the ship has to first target the cargo, then get close to it. Do you have something which causes this to happen? I was thinking of adding a script function to disable scanning
by a given ship, that should do it, right?

D) Tell me how I can reproduce this.

Thanks for the great bug reports.

Dang, two hour edit limit.

Alright in the code I have two ships that actually target a transport. And I would say that something like this should be default, so that only the player can scan a ship, but that other ships could do so as well with a toggle function command invoked.

As I already stated the error with the mission time is something caused before finishing the mission. And I know precisely what the error is. When coding the mission time you left off a zero.

I know this because, you know how when the clock hits 60 seconds or 60 minutes it goes to one minute or one hour, respectively. Well:

6 minutes == one hour :p

A very simple error in coding, and I am suprised nobody else has noticed it. I mean since you can now see the time at the end of the mission. You know I found it really screwy when I saw 1:00:34 at the end of a mission, which only took me, apparently, 00:06:34 time to complete.

Very simple error to fix--I probably could do it. :p :p

Okay, something that I didn't mention before: your wingmen don't know how to fly straight while in formation. I'll e-mail a pic.

Also, I am implementing several scripts that have not been built-in (they are currently commented out):

Ship_setSpeed(string id, decimal percentage);
Video_playCutscene(video file); (this is an in-game cienmatic initiated during the mission)

These are based on what I have seen out of your current scripts. I am not sure, though, what script function you are planning on using for the jumping of ship.

The briefing message cuts off too quickly if the message goes too far into the second line.

Ok, I'll keep this in mind as I add scripting for in game cutscenes and other areas.

I already know about the formation flying not lining up their up vectors.

Ship_setEnabled(shipid, bool); this script is for making a ship disappear, say if that ship gets out of range or something, WCPPas has the similiar code

Just curious, but are you going to include all the scripts used by the WCPpas compiler?

Oh, are you going to add the target square at longer ranges (eg be able to see the box that is around a targeted ship at ranges greater than 50000)?

Is the fact that the ITTS and missile lock are always active just because you haven't gotten around to editing them?

Iceblade said:
Just curious, but are you going to include all the scripts used by the WCPpas compiler?
Similar functionality should exist, depending on needs. But don't expect the syntax or semantics to be the same.

Iceblade said:
Is the fact that the ITTS and missile lock are always active just because you haven't gotten around to editing them?
Huh? What should the behavior be?

ITTS and missile locks active well out of a particular armament's max range. In fact, they are active whenever the targeting box is active.

These systems should activate based on the particular range of a weapon.

Back