Flight Cmdr 1.3 Released

eddieb

Vice Admiral
Hi all:

You can now download the new Flight Commander. The main features introduced in this release is the new scripting system, and some AI improvements.

Scripting opens up a whole new world for new sophisticated mission design. I've included 4 demo missions showing some interesting scripting:
  • Timed missions with multiple waves
  • Cargo inspection missions
  • Custom in game comm menu for allowing players to make choices during a mission
  • Capturing an enemy ship
There's also plenty of documentation on how to get going with scripting.
Releated to scripting is the new scriptable mission debriefing screen, shown below
debrief.png

On the AI side, formation flying is now working. You can even customize the formation positions of each ship. Also, the AI now knows how to do collision avoidance.

Other goodies include:

• Traitor detection
  • Cargo containers
  • New original simulator music
  • A few more ships

Of course, to handle all the new options, the mission editor has been upgraded.
  • Can now edit where ships initially face, their initial orientation
  • Can edit mission objectives in the gui
  • Attach script functions to ships and navpoints within the gui.

fc_cargo.jpeg

So you can download 1.3 from the usual Flight Commander home page

A note on the maturity: I've only tested on my machine, so those on modems may want to wait a week or so. But last time the beta was the same as the official release, because there were no show stoppers. We'll see how it goes.

WooHOO!!!

I'll find time to do a little beta testing. Make sure there are no serious issues with it. Should post by tonight.

Didn't notice anything fatal. Was a bit of pain getting it off my flashdrive, but I doubt that has anything to do with the FC 1.3.

Oh, eddie, could you post the undated missioned.zip. I don't have 24 hour easy access to the internet. (basically I can't go online whenever I want) Thanks.

Iceblade said:
Didn't notice anything fatal. Was a bit of pain getting it off my flashdrive, but I doubt that has anything to do with the FC 1.3.
Yeah, copy it off the flash drive first, then install, that would be faster.
Iceblade said:
Oh, eddie, could you post the undated missioned.zip. I don't have 24 hour easy access to the internet. (basically I can't go online whenever I want) Thanks.
Done.

Out of most of the wing/flight commander modders out there, I am probably the most active modder. Can you just quickly tell me if Flight Commander 1.3 still uses ".Mission.xml(s)" anymore? Or is it all in scripting now?

Eddie, I got a problem on both the simulator and shipviewer menu. As soon as we see the object spin -not before-, the mouse cursor vanishes, the mouse ends responding and I have to kill the application. If this help, the keyboard still works.

I Alt-Tab to the DOS windows and it reads:

GL error on line 190 in file C:\cs\174\finalproj\triangletest\GameFlow.cpp
stack underflow
GL error on line 42 in file C:\cs\174\finalproj\triangletest\FixedCamera.cpp
stack overflow

This also happened on the previous version (the Alpha one).

Any ideas?

@Kevin: Of course the mission.xml file format is used. Just open up the file with the editor and correct what is in the drop-down boxs.

As for the issue with the sim and shipviewer menus. The problem looks like it lies in missing, corrupt, or incompatible files--probably the .obj or .mesh.bin file. Have you tried reinstalling FC 1.3? Also, where are placing the file anyway (which drive and under what main directory ("Program files", "Games", etc)?

It might also be an issue with your hardware. What are your PC specs: operating system, processor speed, video card, and memory?

Kevin Caccamo said:
Out of most of the wing/flight commander modders out there, I am probably the most active modder.
And you have the most humility as well :).
Kevin Caccamo said:
Can you just quickly tell me if Flight Commander 1.3 still uses ".Mission.xml(s)" anymore? Or is it all in scripting now?
Yes, it should be completely backwards compatible. Simple missions are still simple, can be done solely in the mission editor without scripting.

Unregistered said:
Eddie, I got a problem on both the simulator and shipviewer menu. As soon as we see the object spin -not before-, the mouse cursor vanishes, the mouse ends responding and I have to kill the application. If this help, the keyboard still works.

I Alt-Tab to the DOS windows and it reads:

GL error on line 190 in file C:\cs\174\finalproj\triangletest\GameFlow.cpp
stack underflow
GL error on line 42 in file C:\cs\174\finalproj\triangletest\FixedCamera.cpp
stack overflow

This also happened on the previous version (the Alpha one).

Any ideas?

It would be helpful if you pasted all of the text that appears in the dos window. Also your os version. But don't think anyone else has been able to reproduce this, so it may be a driver problem. Where you install shouldn't matter.

Linux version soon?

Think you can manage a linux release soon? :)

Hi eddie,

now that FC 1.3 has been released, is there something to be done with the previous 1.2 alpha 1? I downloaded it, but not yet installed.

Does the shippack work with 1.3?

BTW: I've tried the following:

If in-game text to speech does not sound correct, please install this program.

and the link doesn't work

hellcat said:
Think you can manage a linux release soon? :)
Haven't looked at FC linux since 1.1. I can post my 1.3 source and answer questions if someone is interested in looking into this.

Alch said:
Hi eddie,

now that FC 1.3 has been released, is there something to be done with the previous 1.2 alpha 1? I downloaded it, but not yet installed.
Use 1.3.
Alch said:
Does the shippack work with 1.3?
Yes, as well as it did in 1.2

Alch said:
BTW: I've tried the following:

If in-game text to speech does not sound correct, please install this program.

and the link doesn't work
Thanks, try again now.

Ptarmigan said:
Perhaps, a land battle, like in WC3 and WC4 or allow introductory movies? ;) :cool: :D

I was thinking about a terrain engine, but the effort involved is as much as creating a new engine from scratch. Movie playing is easy, but I haven't seen anyone create one yet.

Some brainstorming/ideas on 1.4 directions. Just ideas, nothing is set in stone.

• More detailed damage model. That is hull damage causes weapons, comms, and afterburners to malfunction. This would be really easy to do if someone would tell me precisely what the rules are in the WCP for this, so I can do something similar.
  • Continue AI improvement
  • Some day turrets will have AI
  • A nice glow effect on weapons and thrusters
  • Add enough scripting to do cutscenes
  • Docking

Those all sound like pretty great additions for the next upgrade. Along with cutscenes, is there a quick and easy fiction viewer that can be included? Some of the current mods rely on that because of the relative difficulty in cutscene creation.

Back