fleet commander

roknor

Spaceman
I was wondering if many people would be interested in commanding a capship. Say starting off with a corvette, then command a destroyer, cruiser and even a dreadnought. And eventually be in command of an entire strike force. And you could still pilot a fighter as you wished.

This kind of game would offer both strategy and action. I know Battle Cruiser 3000 is such a game, but it is very difficult to play (as in learning not gameplay).

I have heard of this I thought the progress on that game was at 2%.
It would be kinda interesting, especially if I know where the heaviest guns are located on hulls to plan attacks.
I have played a armada type game that was fan made dealing with probabilities of ship versus ship, the idea was to build fleets more efficiently than the other side, and use the "terran" to turn the tide of losing battles using asteroids, nebulae, ect.

------------------
Don't look conspicuous-it draws fire.

Sure what do you want to know about it? I had a small part in designing the game, story, stats, scaling.

A bunch of programming buddies of mine did the making of it to prove they could beat me in strategy since they couldn't beat me in flight
biggrin.gif

Most of the Artwork I did for the thing was lost, there was a blueprints file I did but I lost that when I had to suddenly reformat disks.

There weren't any full 3d models we did it was like a boardgame on the computer with groups of cap ships flying in a certain formation with fighter squads or flights around each ship.

We added a research tree into the game where a certain amount of credits were distributed to research, even humanitarian programs(for system morale), weapon production, ship building/facility construction, and mining.

Systems had a certain level of defense, an invading fleet not meeting the defense value with its offense value was either deystroyed or forced to retreat.

I did the work on capship and fighter tactical values based on firepower, speed, turn rates, acceleration, hull strength, sheilds, and weapon ordinance using a formula that took given values, multiplied each by certain modifiers and then averaged the values into a single tactical value. This was then used to calculate combat results based on ship numbers, tacvalues, and combat maneuvers.

In the end it was cool but the graphics sucked ass.
biggrin.gif

P.S. are you one of the guys working on Fleet Commander? If so, keep working on it, we need a cool game like that to circulate among WC fans.
smile.gif

------------------
Don't look conspicuous-it draws fire.

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited February 19, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
that sounded like a fun game, i would of enjoyed it.
what's this about a fan made fleet commander? i would be interested in assisting, though my programming is in the novelist range. if you have any more information please share it with me.

roknor: the game is going to be great once we finish it. I'm still waiting for Dalek to send me the main theme. If anyone here wants to help us out the website is http://www.blacklance.org/fleetcommander/
The site hasn't been updated in months tho.

------------------
Meson
Fleet Commander Homepage

Wing Commander is not just a game. It's a lifestyle.

Those whose eyes have seen shall not live to tell about it -- commercial for the American version of Gundam Wing

[This message has been edited by Meson (edited February 19, 2000).]

Heh, with basically no programmers left, or not in contact, the game is dead. What it needs is programmers who can make a good engine.

------------------
Zohrath.

http://www.starlancer.net - Lancers HQ, the best source for Starlancer and Freelancer news.

thanx for showing me the site.

is fleet commander creating a 3d engine right from scratch. lots of work. has any one considered a ready made 3d engine aviable for free? a couple that come to mind is Morfit3d and Crystal Space. i don't know how well these engine would work for space combat, but its just a thought.

rocknor, once I regain contact with the other members of the project I will tell you

------------------
Meson
Fleet Commander Homepage

Wing Commander is not just a game. It's a lifestyle.

Those whose eyes have seen shall not live to tell about it -- commercial for the American version of Gundam Wing

Someone (I think Lone Wolf), had an idea like this about a Homespace patch, that sounded similar.
By the way, what are you guys using to make the game engine?

------------------
"Hey, leader, why us?"
"Because we're here, lads, because we're here."
-Action Stations

Back