Flak Range

Avacar

Vice Admiral
Wow, where did this Flak range of 10 come from? That would have significantly impacted Scenario 1.

Was it changed because after the scenario you felt the flak was too far out?

My only concern with a flak range of 10 is that it is very close the the torpedo lock range of 12... meaning unless everything goes perfectly, a bomber trying to lock can likely swoop into flak range now...

Thoughts anyone?

Flak range was one of the issues we discussed in the "volunteers" thread during the first scenario.

Was it changed because after the scenario you felt the flak was too far out?
Actually it was changed because I felt the flak was not too far out. :p Never mind the pun - you're of course right.

I found out that, contrary to what the manuals say, flak cannons had a range of ~10,000 meters in the PC games. That's why I changed it to a range of 10 hexes. And it's true, you're under flak fire constantly while making a bombing run - I tested it in WC Academy (the game, not the TV series). We'll see in Scenario 2 if this makes the WCTO flak too powerful - if this is the case, I guess I'll put a +2 penalty on the flak's Target Roll so fighters and bombers are a bit more difficult to hit.

Of course, other thoughts are welcome anyway!

Er, right, not too far out. Wording was confused, but you at least understood what I was driving at.

Certainly happy to test it out though, this game, and see how it handles.

I think this is a wise choice. In WC2, I could legally (I.E. - not by pressing F9 until I get the target I want and pressing the L key, which allows you to lock a target from 25000 meters if you want) get a target lock to start at about 12000 out and the flak would show up at 10.

Back