First Pioneer Demo Delayed

Greetings everyone!

I'm afraid that despite our immense efforts, we are not going to make the deadline of Feb. 1st. The demo itself is all but complete except for a few minor details, which will be done by the deadline. However, the reason for the delay is so that we can spend some extra time testing and optimizing the engine so that we can be sure it runs on as many computers as possible and as fast as possible. As it stands now, we've had little time to thoroughly test it, and we feel it would be best to test it as thoroughly as possible before release. These remaining details rest mostly on my shoulders as Howie has already done an excellent job on the models and textures. In a few days, I'll post the new release date, which I'm expecting to be in a week or two from Wednesday.

Please bear with us on this, and we do apologize for the delay. We do, however, think the demo will be well worth the wait!

Best regards,

~Joel

Yeah, I'm sorry for the delay. I know I've mentioned to many people that we were going to get the demo out before the end of the month, but it's not going to be possible to do that and make sure the demo is stable. Anyhow, I'd like to thank you for your patience, and get back to work.
Howie

it would be great if it was a week away...but no rushing, if its two weeks it will be worth the wait playing (but if its two i wont be able too play it until i come back the week after from seeing my girlfriend - damn why must relationships get in the way of wingcommander time- heh ~~~)

im looking forward too playing pioneer, it looks very promising.

Vermin

Sylvester said:
Hey, the more time you guys delay, the more time I have to flesh out and write the storyline. :)

So you are the one, who writes a storyline :). Have any tidbits to throw to hungry fans. It's obvious that in the said demo there's not going to be storyline implemented. Probably it's intended to show us how game looks in motion and engine works. And to wait another 8 months until first release to know something more will be a torture. :)

Wow, I wasn't actually expecting to see a demo anytime soon so even if you could deliver something by end of February 2006, I'd be mightily impressed. Looking very much forward to this one, as I'm sure you've heard that many times before.

I am realy looking forward to the demo.
What kind of demo will it be? What can the player do?
Is it more like a techdemo to show the graphics or is their allready some content like a little story?

Well, at this point it's mostly a tech demo designed show off the engine and graphics. You can turn and rotate your ship, toggle weapons, launch weapons, fire guns, afterburn, and change ships. You'll mainly just be looking at the graphical style of the game - we've not put in any gameplay yet. That will be the next demo, where we add the cockpits, huds, and basic ship interaction (Blowing stuff up!), and a basic solar system. That will most likely be a test system, so there may be some things there that don't show up in the final game, it will aslo give us a chance to test and further deveolp the nav-point system and such. Most of the art for the next demo is completed - I still have a couple of cockpits to add, and all the background art to create - Planets, Nebula, Asteroids, Moons, and the like. (I've already got a capable planet generator, so that won't be an issue) Fair to say that next demo will be a ways off, but it will definately be one you don't want to skip.
I hope that helped.

Maj.Striker said:
Wow, I wasn't actually expecting to see a demo anytime soon so even if you could deliver something by end of February 2006, I'd be mightily impressed. Looking very much forward to this one, as I'm sure you've heard that many times before.

Yeah, I don't think very many people saw your original note about the rolling demo being ready by the end of the month. I think you've probably already informed more people of its existence by having a thread with the words "Pioneer Demo" mentioned in the Chat Zone peek links on the front page. :)

Regarding the storyline, since we haven't decided on a final storyline, I can't release any details at this point. Once we have a more confirmed script, rest assured, tidbits will come.

Wow didn’t see that one coming so soon. I look forward to seeing it but take all the time need.

I would love to lend a hand with the writing and storyline. I enjoy digging into the books and finding the facts like in the SO Guide and I flowcharted all the script for all of WC1, SM1, SM2, SO1, SO2, Priv, and RF just like I did with WC2 that’s posted here. One of these days I place the pictures in them and post them as well.

And I can do a pretty good Kilrathi voice when you get to that stage but that’s a long way off. :)

Waiting a couple more weeks for a good demo is fine. As said by Shigeru Miyamoto (famed creator of Super Mario, Legend of Zelda, and several other famous Nintendo products), "A late game is eventually good. A rushed game is bad forever."

@Howard Day
Yes that answered my questions. From the screens you posted earlier I think it will look great. Do you run your engine with OpenGL or DirectX? Just asking because I heard that ATIcards have some trouble with OpenGL.

Bandit LOAF said:
That's why everyone loves Battlecruiser 3000.

good thing derek smart hasnt read that ;) we would be having a war right about now.

us WC'ers fought the kilrathi though so mr smart wouldnt stand a chance :D

i am really excited about the demo i want to see what the game engine looks like mainly - it looks top notch in the screenshots.

good luck guys dont rush it :D

Vermin

Take it from me, I rushed out my tachyon mods without enough testing and regreted it. Don't give in to fan pressure, do it right the first time. Test test test.

This is not the right place to ask this but do I understand correctly that you're using the "Fusion Engine" of Descent 3? That should be interesting.

Do they maintain a site about the development of that engine? Didn't find out yet on google but maybe I need to dig a little deeper.

Shades2585 said:
I would love to lend a hand with the writing and storyline.

Me too, but as I understand this is something you are going to do on your own.

Shades2585 said:
And I can do a pretty good Kilrathi voice when you get to that stage but that’s a long way off. :)

If you have that deep lion "snarl" in the background of your voice like Kilrathi in WC3 you must be a frighful guy indeed :p

Back