First mission off of the T.C.S. Lexington...

Dralthi5

Spaceman
This may seem silly, but I've played Wing Commander IV a dozen times or more, but have yet to successfully complete the first mission off of the T.C.S. Lexington. I get to the radar station or whatever it is all right, but then Eisen tells me to give the bad guys twelve 'something' of breathing space, then tail them. I do that part okay. I afterburn after a pirate and stumble across their frigate. I immediately kill thrust, turn around, and get the hell outta there. The computer tells me I've completed the mission and I get back to the radar station or whatever. There's a few bogeys, but when I shoot and kill them it tells me that I am unable to complete the mission and Naismith gives some bitchy comments back at the carrier. But I have to kill them, because it won't let me engage autopilot if I don't.

What am I doing wrong? I mean, it's not neccessary to complete the game, but it's more a matter of personal pride than anything else. I for one do not like Naismith dogging me, a supposed twenty year veteran of Confed!

------------------
Doing the bull dance. Feeling the flow.

Once you get the mission complete message, MANUALLY fly towards the Lexington, until you get far enough away to autopilot (like 30-odd K klicks or so, IIRC). As there's no further engagements in that mission after you find the frigate, you can safely use your afterburners without having to worry about not having fuel for any more combat, should you not want to wait for regular, non-AB manual flying.

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not realy how he wants to do it. Fly after the last T-bolt about 12,000 thousand klicks behind him and when you get mission objectives acomplished turn around and fly towards the radar aray, the frigate will jump in but will not detect you and couple seconds later both the frigate and the Thunderbolt will disapear and you will be able to auto back to the Lex. Death you have to get about 80,000 klicks away from an enemy in WC4 before he gets out of radar range. (to bad it's about a milion klicks in Prophecy and SO it realy screwed up a mission for me once)

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

Actually, while you can fly back towards the array, it's not required. After the mission complete message, you can just follow the navigational indicator straight back to the Lexington.

Engaging any enemies after being told to tail the remaining pirates to their base will cause the mission to be marked as a failure.

------------------
SubCrid Death

[This message has been edited by Death (edited January 07, 2000).]

Yeah but flying towards the aray and than autopiloting will take less time than flying 80,000 klicks manualy before you can auto.

------------------
Uh excuse me Mr.Cat, sir, but would you mind like ceasing fire for a little while so we can barbecue your god-ugly asses? Todd "Maniac" Marshall Wing Commander Pilgrim Stars

I agree with the Space Marshal
wink.gif

I've found that firing at any ships AFTER the Mission Complete creates the mission failure. I am not quite sure if it is a glitch, or an intentional code. When they were saying 'Do it by the Book'.. I do not think they were kidding :p

------------------
"To take one step forward, you must look back three steps... and walk forward while looking back... "

Just follow the pirats at a safe distace until you get the mission complete message. Then ulock all targets. This way when you turn back twords the aray as you would normally. After about ten seconds your autopilot lite will activate. After you reach the aray Eisen will tell you to check out a convoy or something. You go there and they're all dead so you go home.
On a side note: Didn't you guys like how when you dested ejected pilots a body would colide with your cockpit.

I'm not entirely sure about the second part of the mission...

------------------
They've got use surrounded. Poor bastards.
Gunner mostly goes to sleep at eleven...mostly.:)

Hmm... never tried that specific way... (probably cause I've played the mission through so many times I ignore the messages sometimes).

I've passed the mission before without doing that... :/

Yeah Deadman I liked that thing, seing skeletons floating around in space. I think I have a screenshot of that somwhere.

------------------

Thanks. I'll try some of these ways and see how they work.

Also, I don't like some of the comm officers' attitudes towards you when you fail a mission. Rollins and Sosa are sympathetic for the most part, but Naismith, Anderson, and the guy on the Cerberus are just ruthless.

I'd like to shove their asses in the cockpit and see how they hold up!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Dralthi5 (edited January 08, 2000).]

I think Naismith supposed to be a mean bugger. Extra incentive to defect.
Most annoying thing about this mission is that you can't destroy the frigate. Can't remember exactly but it either jumps out or is invincible. The 4 Hellcats in the area are more than a match for the frigate & the 2 T Bolts.
Question: Why were the pirates attacking a comm station that is under construction?

Maybe they wanted to cripple Confed naval traffic moving through the system or something. But, then again, they were pirates. Maybe they were just doing what they do best: Piracy.

------------------

In that case, they must have ben the Tanafen pirates stolen from Bruce Tannock's story...

Arrr! This is Lord Jon Tan of the TanaFen, and we're going to attack the Midway in our freighters!

Arrr, me captain, wouldn't it make more sense to attack merchant ships, who have less weaponry and more booty?

Arrrrr, it's the plank for ye!

(Taken from Avatarr. I pray he doesn't try to kill me now)

Penguin,

You go after the frigate in the very next mission, so it's not like you lose anything, in the end. Heck, you get more targets in the second mission.

Too bad you have to engage them in a Longbow... That sucks that Confed passed one of the badest-a**ed ships (the Thunderbolt VIII) off to the militias. Guns, shields, armor, and a torp for whacking capships you're too lazy to engage with your guns.
smile.gif

------------------
SubCrid Death

Is the Bearcat any good? (I always seem to screw the mission where you get these birds. Got it once about a year ago, but IIRC they only have one type of gun.)

------------------

Back