first flight on monday!!

Youngblood

Rear Admiral
Hi all as some of you may or may not know im an officer in the RAF and ive just passed my basic flight training:D and on monday im pitchin up at 56sqn OCU fo my training on the Tornado f3 and i cant wait!! im not sure if anyone is intrested in this but i had to share it with you guys!!

That's pretty wicked man! I myself recently finished the Initial Entry Rotary Wing Training for the U.S. Army and in about two months will be starting the AH64 Apache Course. Definately a lot less powerful than a Tornadoe, but fun none the less. Congratulations!

Brad

cheers mate!! your right its not as powerful but im sure it would be a hell of a lot fun to fly one!! and to be fair the apache is one good looking aircrat!

Congratulations bud! Did you fly the Tucano first before you got this far? What base are you on? I used to be in the ATC so I love hearing about guys in the RAF. Enjoy your flight :)

Edit: Just noticed your location. I used to fly Grob Tutors up at RAF Leuchars and we used thier 25m barrack range for shooting. I realy liked that base. Enjoy :)

Hi mate i was in the ATC!! i was one of the last cadets to fly the chipmunk (horible aircraft always had the pilots head in the way when you tried to fly!) then the bulldog and did my scholarship in the grob tutor after officer training i flew the tucano and the hawk its been hard but lots of fun at the same time! i take it you used to fire the 2.2 and L98? they where a lot of fun these days i only get to shot the L85 A2 (SA80)

You know, I'm sort of torn here... on the one hand, I really want to congratulate you, since learning to fly a jetfighter is hardly a small achievement... but on the other hand, I'm mildly horrified that Great Britain is to be defended by people who can't write properly in their own language :p.

(and yes, I know it's generally considered impolite to point out somebody's spelling problems on the internet... but good grief, if you're gonna be flying a jetfighter, the least you can do is learn to write!)

Huzzah! to you for joining :)

I'm also interested in joining the RAF, i don't want to make the forum into a career's service, but could you please brief me on entry requirments and how hard it is to get in etc. I assume 20-20 vision is a must?

It all depends on the trade you want to join up as if your are going for aircrew or some of the tech trades you need good exam result 20 20 vision is a must for pilot or Nav however there are other aircrew trades that don't need it such as air load master and a few others you best bet would be to visit your local Armed Forces Careers Office (AFCO) and the can better advise you

Originally Posted by Youngblood
Hi mate i was in the ATC!! i was one of the last cadets to fly the chipmunk (horible aircraft always had the pilots head in the way when you tried to fly!) then the bulldog and did my scholarship in the grob tutor after officer training i flew the tucano and the hawk its been hard but lots of fun at the same time! i take it you used to fire the 2.2 and L98? they where a lot of fun these days i only get to shot the L85 A2 (SA80)

Cool. Yeah I used to fire L98s and the No. 8 .22 rifle. I also got to fire the L85 A1 one time when a TA officer took a few of us on one of thier range days. Never got a chance to fire the LSW though unfortunately. I loved the L98. Best single shot rifle I ever fired. I actualy remember shooting more accurately with the L98 than the SA80 though I don't know why :)

Did you ever go gliding in the ATC? I remember loving my first flight in a Viking winch launched glider. Although it did freak me out a little when I saw how far the wings bend on one of those things. Wish I could get a shot in a jet though. If you can ever get anybody joy rides let me know :)

well guys i did it!! had my first flight and my god it was good!! went supersonic after a combat take off and feeling the g's as that baby left the ground it was great!!

Back