Firekkans

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
...they won't destroy huge Kilrathi fleets, simply require the use of a minesweeper.
I've never seen this confirmed: how does a minesweeper sweep mines? Go through the tedious job of detonating each and every mine nearby, without blowing itself up in the process?

[I just realised that if my post count was a year in the WC universe, it'd be WC1 :)]

[Edited by Wedge009 on 05-27-2001 at 22:56]

That's a good question Wedge009. Don't know if this is a glitch on my end but right now I'm looking at a CADET Wedge009 not Major General or whatever.

I don't think a minesweeper detonates mines -- that'd cause there to be far fewer minesweepers:) They probably either collect or somehow neutralize mines...

Hmm, I dunno about that, LOAF. Those minesweeping tanks in WWII did detonate mines. In fact, detonating mines would be much easier than trying to collect them (impossible) or neutralise them (difficult... they are contact mines, after all). I mean, you'd really have to fry each mine with a leech gun to disable it.

[Edited by Quarto on 05-28-2001 at 00:54]

I dunno, detonating them sounds rather... difficult, given that the only minesweeper we've seen so far is a Dorkathi.

I kind of envision some big magnet that depolarizes the mines, though.

A big magnet? :) That sounds a bit weird... maybe the minesweepers use some sort of electronic system to trigger the mines' self-destruct or otherwise fool them into exploding (from a safe distance ;))?

Maybe the minesweeper does what its name implies. It uses some onboard device to sweep the mines aside forming a safe corridor.

Well i still dont think they actuall "sweep" aside anything. You can sweep to detect stuff. Plus there are mine sweepers in modern navies today. I knew a guy who served onboard one. I dont know what they did to the mines exactly but it probably involves lots of slow careful disarming.

Seems logical to me. But the only time they are a danger is when they are around a jump point that your are coming through and dont have time to shoot them safely from a distance.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
I dunno, detonating them sounds rather... difficult, given that the only minesweeper we've seen so far is a Dorkathi.

That isn't entirely true. We saw the Confederation's version of a minesweeper in Wing Commander II. The TCS Gunga Din is a Clydesdale-class minesweeper.

Back