Feedback needed on WCS cutscenes, please help!

Eder

Mr. Standoff
First, and overview of what I'm planning to do...

Basically, there will be three instances in which pre rendered 3D scenes will be used:

1- The off-duty interface, aka The Bar :) Here players would be faced with a 3D-rendered bar with a bartender and some pilots doing some discreet animations (think WC1,3,4). Clicking on any of them would take you to number 2 below.

2- Talking head mode, in which all the dialogues would take place, just like in WC1-2, except that Standoff will use pre-rendered 3D scenes and characters, with animations on things like mouths, eyebrows, etc. This would have a lot of uses and would be triggered by a lot of different actions: clicking on someone at the bar, entering the briefing room, achieving a mission goal... all of those could bring up a dialogue in talking head mode, a LOT like WC2, only better ;)

3- Transition scenes. Again, like WC2... These scenes would be things like take off and landing sequences, the pilots entering the briefing room and sitting down, an overview of the flight deck when you meet someone there, etc... The only difference is that there would be more action here so the scenes don't look too much like stills (like they did in WC2). If you think about some of the scenes in WC4 (Blair going to the Lex's rec room, walking up to Eisen to be debriefed on the flight deck, the pilots entering the Intrepid's bridge and stopping by the map table...) you get the picture of what I want to do. **Basically, any scene in which the characters aren't seen from up close, and in which their faces don't need detail or movement, would be done this way** This would be done in pre rendered 3D animations like all the rest, and unlike number 2 above, would show full-bodied people, not only their heads.

I'd like to know, first, what you think of using the types of cutscenes mentioned above. Is that too shallow, too boring, or what? When making suggestions please keep in mind that making a lot of animations of human bodies and a lot of different cutscenes (instead of a few extremely re-usable ones, like the talking heads) takes a lot of work and time.

Second, about the characters. I still haven't been able to model a full bodied character, but I've finished the first talking head. Tell me how good or bad it looks, so I can either re-do it, or proceed to experiment animating it.

face2.jpg

Please don't make any comments on the t-shirt, it is there only as a placeholder. This is because each head will have different versions (flight suit, helmet...) but until I decide which character is going to use which versions, I'll only make the basic shape of the shoulders. It'll be easy to add the different uniforms on top of this basic form later on, after all, the clothes won't have to be animated or anything.

So, please comment on what you think of the types of cutscenes I'm planning to use, and what you think of this first attempt I've ever made of a human face. I need as many opinions as I can get.

Thanks a whole freaking lot,
--Eder

His Eyebrows and nose are purple on someplaces, and he has some darkspots on the middle of his forehead otherwise good job

His hair also looks like a medal with an eagle on it, Just above middle of forehead, his hair is also to glossy, make it more matte and it wont look like a solid object

OK Eder, I'll try and give a few comments.
First of all, if that's your first head, it looks good. If you want to improve on technique, maybe it's a good idea to do some simple digicam filming of live (LOL) heads and see if you can layer them into characters.

the transition scenes... in the games they were fun at first, but became a bore after seeing them for the so-maniest time. Take care that the Escape key works to pass the transition scenes, and how about building in some easter eggs to have people NOT skipping the scenes after all. I bet there is a way to have most of the scene standard but adding or differing small things might just keep it interesting enough to keep watching, even after mission 21.

Am very very curious about the end result... good luck!

Back