Feature add list for Flight Commander and question

Vasator

Spaceman
Hello,
New to Flight Commander.. have some suggestions to make it more fun.

Create a feature similar to the old version of X-Wing. Have a data recorder that records the mission that you can play back later with different camera angles. I don't know if that can be done but it would be really cool.

Also have a question when it comes to importing your own 3-D models. is there a modeller program that can convert from say Truespace format to whatever format FC uses?

Thanks,

Alex

question answered

Sorrya bout the model question... found it in another post.. alias wavefront... yay!

I haven't really played with this much yet, but I see it as having alot of potential. How does flight commander work for importing a cutscene.

Can I load one at mission start/end or would it be possible to have it tied directly to any object (fighter b explodes and cutscene plays.. etc.)

I have been very impressed so far Eddie. Keep it up.

Is there somewhere a tutorial for importing ships? what format it uses and what texturing options.. stuff like that.

You don't import a cutscene, you have to script it yourself. When a cutscene starts/stops is controlled by the missions script. I'd suggest starting with a simple mission first, cutscenes are going to be complicated if you haven't programmed before.

It can import an .obj file. Textures can be a bmp, png, or jpg. Just make sure all materials have textures.

Read all the docs on the flight commander page, and if you have more questions, ask them here.

Oh movies, yes movies can already play, you should already see them in fact. You just have to separate the audio traicks to mp3s. Use avis for the video.

I think he is refering to special movie cutscenes, not just the briefing, scramble, good land, etc. As far as I know, that has not been implemented into the engine, yet and it is on the list. In the meantime, there are some in-game cutscene functions available. There is also a tutorials section here on the RG boards. It is not very comprehensive, but there are some tutorials for briefing and mission editing, just nothing on scripting, yet.

http://www.cyberionsystems.com/flightcommander/index.php?board=5.0

As soon as spring break hits (in about a week), I should have some spare time to work with the in-game cutscenes and mission scripting. At which point I should be able to add a couple of more tutorials.

How bout making the AI a little smarter, the only thing they do is circle you like vultures.

And if you want to make it look realistic, incorporate real space physics like thrust-vectoring and Reaction control jets that huff and puff when you turn the ship

Pretty nice game you got there, beautiful texturing and splendid.

Also, I find it impossible to down capships with guns, any thought to that?

Yes, capships have to have all their components destroyed with torpedos. Physics will remain unchanged, sorry, unless you want to change the source yourself..

Yes, you can damage components with the plasma gun already, I just verified it. Component targeting isn't perfect, granted, as it's the missile's AI which could be improved.

Thanks for your kind words and feedback.

Kyran:

I give priority to feature requests from those who contribute. Would you be willing to create a campaign? If you can show some progress, I can commit to adding mouse support sooner.

Back