FAO: Europe and the rest of the world.

I don't know about Northern Ireland (My understanding is the Irish population always wanted to join the rest of Ireland, and grumblings of succession are nothing new, but the very large British population always held them back

I'm sorry but that is absolutely wrong. Look into Northern Irish loyalism; the divide between Republican Catholics and Northern Protestants goes far deeper than any British meddling. You can bet your house that Northern Ireland will stay in the UK regardless, the possibility of them joining ROI on the Euro ticket is frankly absurd following the decades of strife over there.

Thank-you, I was hoping someone would have a better viewpoint on that. You're probably right. From what I heard on NPR, it didn't sound that likely they would leave although they aren't too happy about it. :)

Thank-you, I was hoping someone would have a better viewpoint on that. You're probably right. From what I heard on NPR, it didn't sound that likely they would leave although they aren't too happy about it. :)

The situation is so complicated, it just seems that after decades of violence between two (very committed) factions that a number of the northerners would be aggrieved if as a result of Brexit they found themselves part of Ireland. That said, there are plenty of moderates in NI who advocate unification, their voices just tend to be drowned out.

Back