Fan Runs WC3 On Pandora Handheld (March 20, 2016)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
ekianjo has posted a neat video of the Open Pandora gaming console/mini computer running Wing Commander 3. The device begins with DOSBox and the game plays quite smoothly despite the overhead CPU power needed for proper emulation. There's just some minor stuttering when a fighter explodes on screen, which is pretty amazing for such a lightweight (both physically and spec wise) device. To this day I still expect a big lag before movies load and your ship launches into space because of my years running WC3 on a 486!

--
Original update published on March 20, 2016

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty difficult to get one of these. I'd wait for the GPD WIN (x86-64 ~$300US if you back the project and they deliver) or for the Dragonbox Pyra (ARMv7 ~$600-700US although a firm price hasn't been released yet).
Most people would be better off getting the WIN unless they want the adaptability and features the pyra offer (user upgradeable via proposed detachable cpu/ram borards, LTE connectivity, etc).
Both of these will be MUCH faster devices than the pandora, even the GHz edition.

Fyi. The Pyra in the previous post is now available for pre-order. Dragonbox.de is now accepting down payments to cover the price of purchasing components for productions. Working prototypes exist and details can be found at https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/pages/pyra/. Considering the performance of wc3 on the pandora, I fully expect the pyra to play it quite smoothly. There may even be enough headroom to run wc4 in svga as well. Evil Dragon has posted a video about the pyra here:
Unlike other devices of it's type, the Pyra is modular and upgrades for the cpu board (which contains the SoC, RAM, and eMMC) are expected in the future. Both wireless (a-n 2.4GHz & 5GHz + Bluetooth 4.1) and cellular models for the US and EU exist (the US model is compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile networks).

Last edited:
Back