Extracting Sounds

ViolentAJ

Swabbie
Banned
Do you guys know if there's a way to extract sounds from the game? I like the jazzy music, and would like to have it to listen to, for example.

Game Audio Player can read the music in Prophecy-era TRE files quite well.

Failing that, you can manually extract the files with HCl's TRE Manager and convert with his WCP Audio Tool.

Edit: Or you could ask the team to kindly put up the uncompressed music as a download. :)

You might have a hard time with the music, since you mention you like the jazz stuff - most of the jazz music is integrated with the talking heads cutscenes, so there's really no way to extract it separately from the voiceovers. Everything else, though, you can get by extracting files using TREMan, and then using HCl's audio tool to convert them to WAVs.

I'd also like to get some of those lovely laser sounds for some of my games, unless it's copyright infringement.

It is copyright infrigement. I don't think there's a single original sound in the entire game - it's all modified sounds from previous WC games.

Then I won't be going that route ~~~. Finding sounds, music, and voice actors for games is very difficult work; even on a small scale.

Not in the least - it's dead easy. It just depends on what you're trying to do, and what you're willing to give.

We get everything for free - people volunteer to make music for us, people volunteer to make graphics for us, people volunteer to record voiceovers for us, and people volunteer to give... errr... well, maybe not, but at least they don't sue us for using their work developed for previous WC titles. This is easy for us, because everyone knows we're not getting a dime out of this. Plus, we're ambitious, and it's always fun to be a part of something ambitious (not to mention, it looks great on your CV).

This approach obviously won't work for you, and that's probably why you're having a hard time with it. Your project is small, and it appears to be commercial in intent. For these two reasons, nobody will help you for free - a) because your project is too small for anyone to get excited about, and b) because it looks like you're trying to make money out of this, so nobody's going to work for you for free.

However, your project is small, and so are your needs. It's not exactly hard to find people willing to freelance for money, and it's even easier to buy ready-made assets. Sound libraries are dirt-cheap. 3d models are more expensive, but also relatively cheap. Voiceovers? Visit your local university - there's bound to be a drama club or something along those lines, and you'll certainly find someone there who'd record a few lines for the price of a good lunch.

Back