Extracting Sounds WC 3

GamesFuhrer

Swabbie
Banned
Hello. I'd like to extract some of the laser sounds from Wing Commander 3 for a fan project that I'm working on. I'd like to know which TRE the laser sound effects are in, and how to access the sounds. Thank you.

PS: I've tried both Game Extractor and the TRE tool on wedge's website, but neither worked to open any TRE.

It's not mine, it's HCl's. And the XTRE format has not been worked on for a while, so all that's available from the TRE Manager are individual, unnamed files. If you have the time and patience to sort through them all, you should find it... eventually.

Do you actually need them from the PC version? There's a pack with all the WC3 sounds extracted from the PSX version on the CIC already: WC3 audio pack

On the subject of WC3 file extractions - without starting a new thread...

Does anybody know if it's necessary to 'tell' WC3 to refer to extracted files rather than the ones inside the TRE?

For instance, in Standoff (itself a mod of Secret Ops) it's necessary to edit a certain CFG file within the game directory to make the game refer to files instead of the compressed data within the TREs.

As for the original question, I believe Wedge009 is right, it's a matter of patience and time to sift through everything -although HCI's list on his website is a fantastic reference guide.

Back