EW talks about Starlancer (yeah, I know it's scarry).

Earthworm

Spaceman
Well, actualy it's nothing big, but for those that wanted to see some gameplay from SL, there's a somewhat trailer made by a gaming site that shows some of it. There are two versions, the biger one is 9 megs, and the smaller one is 3 megs. Go to http://www.slvault.com and on todays news there's a line to that site. IMO the gameplay looks great (not WC though, nothing compares to that
smile.gif
) and it isn't especialy big, so go download it and see how the gameplay looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just the movie clip EW mentioned... That game's gonna kick ass. If it has a decent plot line I mean.

------------------
If knowledge is power Then to be unknown is to be unconquerable.

Possibly... but it'll never be more than just another lame WC clone
smile.gif

Last edited:
Exactly. The gameplay looks just like WC. Though there are suposed to be some cool things in there.
smile.gif
Like reverse thrust on some fighters.

Kris: Of course, it will be a WC clone but who has more of a right and the skills needed to make a good one than Chris/Erin Roberts?
smile.gif

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

There's another video up for grabs there. Just follow that slvault link and click on the news topic near the top of the page.
Small version 3 megs, large version 10 megs.
------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

[This message has been edited by klaus (edited March 17, 2000).]

At any rate, some of the effects in the SL trailers (a background, explosion and the music at least) came straight from the WC movie.
smile.gif

Nighthawk said:
Kris: Of course, it will be a WC clone but who has more of a right and the skills needed to make a good one than Chris/Erin Roberts?
smile.gif

DA can only hope Warthog has, because neither one of the Roberts brothers are working on it
smile.gif

Oh, they want us to believe they are, but they're not.

Last edited:
So what are they doing? Sucking up to Bill Gates? Drooling at the thought of the incredible amounts of money they will make with the game? Buying back the rights to WC from OSI? Asking Mark Hamill to do a guest appearance in SL2?

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Buying back the rights?
smile.gif
Origin owned them in the first place.

Judgement said:
Now I know where I've seen those kind of graphic's before. It seems to me to be Priv3 nock off.

Except that we don't know how Priv3 engine looked like.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but from those two movies that game looks way to easy. It seems that few well placed gun shots will take down one fighter, and one non guided, low damage rocket can take down the entire shielding on a fighter. Though it's probably shown on the easiest dificulty, seing how much game reviewers usualy suck at games.
smile.gif

Chris, are you realy 118 years old?
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited March 17, 2000).]

there are suposed to be some cool things in there. Like reverse thrust on some fighters.

You want reverse thrust? Bounce off a capship, like the bugs are fond of doing, that'll give ya reverse thrust.
smile.gif
hehe

Reversing the vector the exhaust shoots is no biggy, just put an attachment on the exhaust port, thrust will be directed 180 degrees. Or you could use a low power EM field to control the exaust.

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited March 17, 2000).]

Reverse thrust...

Now the only thing left are sideways and vertical thrust. Then you'll get something like...

(j/k)
smile.gif

------------------
"This matter winds itself ever in new riddles.", Faramir - The Lord of The Rings

Earthworm said:
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but from those two movies that game looks way to easy.
But fortunately the game has a whopping 25 missions and as many minutes of video sequences
smile.gif

Starlancer is like WC4 disc 1
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KrisV (edited March 18, 2000).]

Last edited:
KrisV said:
But fortunately the game has a whopping 25 missions and as many minutes of video sequences
smile.gif

Last I heard it has 24 missions (not counting the training missions that will probably be in the sim anyway) and 22 minutes of CGI. It doesen't even have a main character, and when your guns missiles impact an enemy, they don't make any sound! There isn't any sound when a ship blows up either.

Starlancer is like WC4 disc 1
smile.gif

When counting the cutscnes, it's more like 1/4 of that disc. When counting missions it's about two of them. And that's exactly on how many discs SL will come.

Feels short to me...

Ever since I played that Collector's CD Edition of X-You-Know-What, everything else felt short to me. Never seen a game with so many missions...

------------------

Now the only thing left are sideways and vertical thrust. Then you'll get something like...

I don't know for sure, but didn't the Hellcat demonstrate VT/L in WC4?

Thrust sideways? Hehe. It's possible, if you are using autoslide and...well it would serve no tactical purpose. Unless the engines where extensively retrofitted to vector exhaust from the center of the Z-axis

No sound when guns and missiles hit? You mean they actually decided to go for the realistic no-sound-in-space thing? That's bloody awesome!

24 missions, btw, is more than WC1 had; remember that if you count the way the missions change if you screw up, then the number of missions effectively doubles or triples.
And as for CGI, I think they mean 22 mins of proper cutscenes. Remember, most of the talking is supposed to be done during the mission, when you certainly won't be looking at CGI.

Anyway, WC4 may have been filled with cutscenes, but it got pretty darned annoying having to change the CD every five missions
smile.gif

Back