Everyone knows the Iceman

OK, I've yet to play the first 2 WC games, but how does everyone: Rachel, Hawk etc know who Casey's dad was when we don't meet these people until the 3rd and 4th games?

Oh, don't go there... There's a vortex of anti-matter in the whole Casey-Blair-Hawk thing that can lead to a full blown flame war. Bloody fights like Repleetah. It's a minefield.

But anyway, we don't witness all the events in Blair's life on the game. Not to mention Micheal Casey, who was not a player character.

Originally posted by Timmy the Tooth
Good enough, last thing we need is a self-destructive paradox...I withdraw my comments

The new stuff fits like snow on the old stuff: it covers the rough edges.

Delance, be nice.
You fly with Iceman in WC1
Rachael is your grease monkey in wc3
Hawk is a fellow Colonel/pilot in wc4

When? How?

On WCP he is promoted to squadron commander, but voluntarily gives up the position.

In most militaries, there is a system that is commonly referred to as "up or out". Essentially, if an officer is reviewed for promotion and rejected three times in a row, then he is forcibly retired. This is based on the concept that anybody who gets rejected three times must not be performing up to par (anybody who is giving at least average performance and has no bad marks on his record will probably get promoted the first or second time around). As such, if Maniac really were a Major with no promotions all the way from WC2 until WCP--a span of more than fifteen years--then regulations would have stated that they discharge him for "too much time in rank". We have evidence that Confed has this practice of "up or out" from the WC4 novel--in the prologue, the patrol leader is musing that one of his subordinates needs to pass the next review or she will be discharged for "too much time in rank".

It is thus my belief that Maniac has repeatedly gotten himself promoted/decorated whenever he pulls a particularly successful and impressive stunt, but then soon after he goofs up and gets demoted, but everybody knows that he's too valuable to get rid of, so they never remove him from active duty.

Recall Maniac and Hawk's conversation when Maniac is made commander of Black Widow Squadron in Blair's absence:

Hawk: It feels good, doesn't it?

Maniac: Yeah.

Hawk: To be in control.

Hawk: To be in command.

Hawk: To be the one they string up when somebody screws the pooch on a mission.

Maniac: Yeah...Hey, wait a minute!

:D

Originally posted by Ijuin
Recall Maniac and Hawk's conversation when Maniac is made commander of Black Widow Squadron in Blair's absence:
Hawk: It feels good, doesn't it?
Hawk: To be in control.
Hawk: To be in command.
Hawk: To be the one they string up when somebody screws the pooch on a mission.
Maniac: Yeah...Hey, wait a minute!
:D [/B]

I laughed so loud that I nearly woke my parents up!:D

To the topic, did iceman play any big roles in WC1?!

Maniac has always been a bit of a mystery to me, especially his rank. I guess it makes sense if he was promoted and demoted here and there. Another mystery is his age...how much younger is he than Blair? In the Victory Streak it has him 32, as is Blair, while Vagabond is the REAL dinosaur at 38 (there's no one that old playing WC out there is there?)

It seems as though Maniac is probably just about the same age as Blair. They went to the Academy together, and graduated together. Presumably, the reason why the CAG didn't mind Maniac flying in WCP as opposed to Blair was because Maniac never stopped flying, so he wasn't out-of-practice.

As for Vagabond, I guess that would make sense, actually. He does seem to have a fair amount of diverse experiences. Demolitions, black ops, all sorts of stuff.

Maniac has always been a bit of a mystery to me, especially his rank. I guess it makes sense if he was promoted and demoted here and there. Another mystery is his age...how much younger is he than Blair? In the Victory Streak it has him 32, as is Blair, while Vagabond is the REAL dinosaur at 38 (there's no one that old playing WC out there is there?)

The Victory Streak ages for Maniac and Blair are confusing... they're close to the same age (Blair was born in 2630, Maniac was born in 2631)... which would make them 39/40 in WCIII.

To the topic, did iceman play any big roles in WC1?!

Ehh, no one played a *really* big role in WC1 -- you'd basically get advice or commentary on the war from wingmen between missions. He did have what was, IMO, the most emotional scene in all of WC in Secret Missions 2... where he finds out that his daughter has been rescued from a Kilrathi slave ship.

how maniac / hawk hadnt been promoted in 10 years..

Well, Hawk retired just after the war ended... he spent much of the time between WC3 and WCP flying with the Border Worlds. It wasn't until the Midway entered service in late 2680 that he returned to Confed.

Maniac was offered the rank of Colonel and a post of Wing Commander onboard the Kiev after WCIV, which he apparently turned down.

OK, I've yet to play the first 2 WC games, but how does everyone: Rachel, Hawk etc know who Casey's dad was when we don't meet these people until the 3rd and 4th games?

Well, most of the people on the Midway know who Iceman is because he was a famous war hero (they "named a flight maneuver after him")... and, of course, there'd just been an article about how Lance Casey was his son in Waypoint!. :)

Hawk knew Iceman because they'd served together years earlier (on the Tiger's Claw and the Austin).

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF

Hawk knew Iceman because they'd served together years earlier (on the Tiger's Claw and the Austin).

yeah, tho its dumb how they killed of all the old heads.... hawk, blair and what about maniac? i dont recall seeing him in the last cut scene when casey sees his old mate saying he got rescued? what happened to maniac??...

anyways i think its good that the WC series looks dead in the water... cos with blair/hawk/ and possibly maniac gone, it just wouldn't be wing commander ! :(

Maniac's still around. He's mentioned a few times in Secret Ops.

The point of Prophecy's story was that the new kids were inhereting the job of defending Confed... they had to get rid of Blair and Hawk and company (G)

meh, new guys.. eew

btw, whats with the wing commander movie? (sorry if i made a few ppl sick by bringing this up...) but isnt it a mix of the story of WCP but with the characters of wc3..

like blair and manaic being best of buds, and being green and having a famous father [in the shadow of] (like casey and maestro !)

also, the story of them having a gateway to earth.. this is the bugs story !!

i just dont get why roberts did this?? he coulda just redone wc3 or 4 and had a blockbuster !!!

cheers

joe

The Wing Commander movie takes place between the first episode of the Wing Commander Academy TV series and the first Wing Commander game... Blair and Maniac are newly minted lieutenants and they've just been assigned to their first combat tour.

Back