Episode III Trailer - 11/04/04

And the robot fighters from Attack of the Clones.

The problem is that they don't make any reasonable sense. If the regular Old Republic fighters had TIE-like solar panels, that'd be cool... but Darth Maul's car and some robots having them just seems like a graphic designer somewhere thinks they're much clever-er than they really are.

The OT designer Ralph McQuarrie was very upset that he wasn't brought in on the prequels. This new guy doesn't seem to be cutting it, either - his stuff looks too "clean", which is the wrong way to make something look like it belongs in Star Wars.

dextorboot said:
Dooku's in it. I've seen pics of Vader/Anakin (sans mask) fighting Dooku infront of Palpatine (mirros the RotJ Luke/Vader scene.

somehow i knew that would hapen. it's obvious...

The new trailer for the Episode 3 video game has one or two spoilers in it. (Though which are spoilers and which are written specificly for the game is anyone's guess at this point.)

Allright, about that the Darth Sidious image. One thing: Palpy seems to be degenerating into ROTJ Emperor, while Darth Sidious appears to have a clean face. So how come Sidious will look like that yellow-eyed freak that appears on the trailler? Anyway, it should be interesting to finally get to watch the Emperor use a lightsaber.

After sitting through The Incredible (actually it was awesome... but that's not the point) without getting a star wars trailer attached... man I was pissed ( I even went into another Incredibles showing immediately after my showing to see if they played it on that screen, NO!) I finally caved in and used evil AOL to view it. Even without the "theater experience" that I was hoping (and waiting for), the trailer still rocked. I've been reading other things about the trailer however, and it seems that the general consensus was that Episode II sucked... did I miss something? I thought it was pretty good, and wasn't aware that everyone else hated it (now Episode I I know most people hate, but I liked it and accepted everyone elses loathing). Was Episode II horrible and I'm just in denial or something? :(

The general concensus is that Episode I was godawful and Episode II was some steps in the right direction. Personally, I think quite the opposite - but I've explained myself enough about this idea in the past.

Personally I have liked all five of the Star Wars movies. Episode I wasn't so great but I thought Episode II was awesome.

Delance said:
Allright, about that the Darth Sidious image. One thing: Palpy seems to be degenerating into ROTJ Emperor, while Darth Sidious appears to have a clean face. So how come Sidious will look like that yellow-eyed freak that appears on the trailler?

Talking about the shot right before the volcanic explosions? I'm pretty sure that's a FUBAR version of Anakin, not Sidious.

Mav23 said:
I've been reading other things about the trailer however, and it seems that the general consensus was that Episode II sucked... did I miss something? I thought it was pretty good, and wasn't aware that everyone else hated it (now Episode I I know most people hate, but I liked it and accepted everyone elses loathing). Was Episode II horrible and I'm just in denial or something? :(

No, you didn't miss anything. Episode II was pretty good, better I think than most people will admit. Sure, Lucas' "slapstick" humor with Jar-Jar in Episode I and with 3PO in Episode II were enough to make me cringe in places- I absolutely hated that- but I look at Episode II's reception kind of like how Episode IV was treated during the original trilogy's release. A lot of fans poo-pooed Empire until many years later when the majority eventually came around and the film was finally appreciated as a good movie in its own right. Personally, it is my favorite.

The problem as I see it with the prequals (if you can call it that) is that folks simply miss seeing Han, Luke, Leia, Chewbacca, Vader, TIEs dogfighting with X-Wings, the Millennium Falcon, Star Destroyers, and so on. For so long we as fans have associated certain things with the Star Wars universe, and it is hard to accept the differences experienced in Episoides I, II, and possibly with III. They are held against a standard or a benchmark that has been tough to replicate. I look forward to the time when we can watch all 6 movies, in order, and see how they fit together. I think then a more accurate and complete appraisal of the films can be made.

I'd watch all 6 movies in order. Also My problem With Episode I was the fact that it did not feel like Star Wars. Like how (no Offence) WCP though a wonderful game did not feel like Wing Commander. I DO like Star Wars but I like the classic because well thats what I grew up with. My problems with Episode II was that they tried to add a love story in it and I got pissed. Even though I am 16 it does not mean I have low standards.......though some may disagree.

ChanceKell said:
Talking about the shot right before the volcanic explosions? I'm pretty sure that's a FUBAR version of Anakin, not Sidious.

No, the one before the end, where the Sith strkes with a red ligthsaber. It's probably Sidious/Palpatine, which are the same guy after all, right?

ARC - Advanced Recon Commandos. Their clones, like the rest, but they retain some degree of independent thought and have been specially trained by Jango Fett in Comando-like tactics. They're featured prominently in one of the Comics that deals with the CIS attacking the Kamino Cloning facilities and also in the "Clone Wars" cartoon series.

The fighter in question clearly isn't an X-Wing (And doesn't feature the same design in most ways). It's also clearly not a Z-95. If you slow down the frame rate you can see that it has six wings (four of which have no apparent purpose to me, maybe someone can toss out a suggestion though) and the last two which stick straight out and have laser cannons slung underneath.

If you really want to know what makes it not an X-Wing or a Z-95 you just have to look at the godaweful nose.

We've already seen a Republic Fighter for regular clones in the "Clone Wars" cartoon series, so I would buy into the idea that this is an ARC Fighter for specially trained groups of clone pilots, because it's design differs clearly from the other Clone Fighter design we've seen out there.

I had this strange dream last night.
I dreamed that prince Thrakath executed RD-D2.

Btw, why does love stories piss you off, powell99?

Jason_Ryock said:
If you really want to know what makes it not an X-Wing or a Z-95 you just have to look at the godaweful nose.
I think I have an answer to this question. The ship in question should be the ARC 170. The discription is as follows:

Further bridging the designs of the prequel and original trilogy is the Republic's mighty ARC 170 starfighter, with splayed S-foils that should trigger powerful memories in long-time Star Wars fans. This particular illustration was completed by Ryan Church in August of 2002, only a few months after Episode II was released.

I just went to theforce.net net and looked up a thread asking who prefers the PT to the OT. There was a surpisingly high number of people saying they did. It seems their reasoning was that they like the larger scope and grandeur of the films and the political intracasies... and they somehow forgot about Jar Jar :p

Back