Episode 1: Defecting to the Pirates

U

Unregistered

Is it possible to defect to the pirates in episode 1? I tried to head for the Pirate base but ended back at the Lionheart anyway.

CTRL-N to bring up the nav map, double click or right click, I forget which, to select the new destination.

Yes it is possible to join the pirates. You need to right click on the nav point to select it.
Doing so ends the game after 1 or 2 additional missions however, as you are now a traitor.

I really hate it when you say that, Dund. The game doesn't just end - the player is presented with a scene showing the consequences of his choice. It's not really an alternate path, but to say that the game just ends doesn't do it justice either.

I think it's worth mentioning that the original idea was to have 2-3 missions on teh pirate side before endgame, too.

Yep... though in that case, the endgame would've been different. It was supposed to be (if I recall correctly - it's been many years) a downbeat ending along the lines of "Bradshaw and Sparrow lived happily ever after, until the Kilrathi blew up the Earth and hunted down all humans".

Ultimately, we just didn't see the point putting so much effort into a dead-end path that distracts from the rest of the game, and also, we didn't like the idea of someone trying out this path first, and learning about Sparrow - the reveal on the normal path would lose much of its impact then.

(plus, the implicit idea that Bradshaw followed Sparrow only to have her leave him behind for Confed is just too wonderful to refuse)

Honestly, if you guys felt like it, I'd love to see that added on, just to give the game that last bit of polish, as that's the one thing I kinda felt unsatisfied with.

Back