Enterprise:

I just watched tonights episode and one thing disturbed me. When T'Pol (that is her name right?) said something about considering joining starfleetl. She had better not, it is pretty widely known that Spock was the first Vulcan in starfleet. The creators and writers had better not miss something that big.

What's another continuity error among Trek fans?

And technically, T'Pol isn't in Starfleet. Perhaps Starfleet's predecessor, though.

I noticed that too. I figured that they wrote it in to be a plot device next season (if there is one) It'll be a big point of conflict, and ultimately she will decide not to join up...inevitably, something good will come of it.

I can understand them conflicting a little, but the Vulcan thing. It was a major plot point of an episode in the TOS, that would be more than oversight. It is probably going to be like you said, she will toy with it, but eventually turn it down. Or at least I hope so lol.

The episode was pretty good, makes me feel bad for missing so many, though a couple that I saw, were not very good at all lol.

Worf said:
And technically, T'Pol isn't in Starfleet. Perhaps Starfleet's predecessor, though.

True dat. They may go so far to call themselves Starfleet, but the Federation does not yet exist, and the Federation Starfleet was created by the Federation charter (if my foggy Star Trek memory serves me). Different organization, yet similar function.

Hmm, I've heard the 'Spock was the first Vulcan in starfleet' thing repeated throughout fandom for years... but where does it come from? Wasn't there an all-Vulcan Starfleet ship that showed up at one point on TOS (the Intrepid?)?

Ah, you must be referring to "The Immunity Syndrome". The best explanation for this is that Spock had been in Starfleet for almost 18 years prior to this incident (as it is alluded to in "Journey to Babel"), and since that time, other Vulcans had signed up. You could draw all kinds of other conclusions too, since the nature of the Intrepid's crew wasn't fully discussed. While I don't remember where it is mentioned in the series/movies, Spock's status as first is mentioned in all editions of the Star Trek Encyclopedia as well as in Spock's offical bio at startrek.com. So that's the story and I'm sticking to it.

As much as I love Trek, I try not to take TOS too seriously. Except for the Orion Slave Girls. Man, they rule.

OOH! OOH! an opportunity to prove my usefullness!
At a ST convention, one of the TOS writers was on a panel and was asked about this. He responded that the script originally said the Intrepid (ship in question) was a starfleet ship on loan to a Vulcan science academy, so if he had his way, the Vulcans weren't members of Starfleet, only the ship.

What an excellent and convenient coincidence Colenol. To go back to the original point, I think that T'Pol joining Starfleet would be a dumb plot move. Sure, I just successfully argued that they're not the same organization, it's reasonable to assume that those in Earth's Starfleet were incorporated into the Federation Starfleet at its creation in 2161. She would presumably have to leave Starfleet in the next few years (prior to the change), and even if she did, Spock's uniqueness would sure carry a lot less weight.

And while there has been other captains and doctors and such. Spock is still the quintessential Vulcan, aside from "The Cage". Taking part of the uniqueness of Spock would be a pretty big blow to some dedicated fans of Trek.

Has Spock's position as 'first Vulcan' actually been stated onscreen, though?

(Personally, I think T'Pol joining Starfleet would be a good idea... since it'd mean a real uniform instead of the catsuit... Anything Enterprise can do to get away from "Hey, look everybody, SEX!" is positive in my book:))

I am not sure if it has been actually said, but I think it might. Even if she does join starfleet they are still going to let her wear a catsuit lol. I find it kind of funny that some people get upset that Star Trek sells sex to much now. Look at the original series, some of those women back then wore less clothes then now. Star Trek and sex go nearly hand in hand.

The episode that either says or alludes to Spock being the first vulcan is the episode where Spock's father comes to the Enterprise (or one of them lol, I don't think it was "journey to babel", it might have been, if that even was the name, been a while since I seen that episode). Spock says Sarek was upset and disapointed with Spock joining starfleet. I can't remember if they say that Spock was the first.

I think that the reference to Spock being the first Vulcan in Starfleet means that he was the first Vulcan to graduate from Starfleet Academy, as opposed to graduating from a Vulcan space academy and later working with Starfleet. In other words, Spock would be the first Vulcan to be "native" to Starfleet.

Well, whether or not you want to get that technical about T'Pol's circumstance, it still feels wrong to me.

Bandit LOAF said:
(Personally, I think T'Pol joining Starfleet would be a good idea... since it'd mean a real uniform instead of the catsuit... Anything Enterprise can do to get away from "Hey, look everybody, SEX!" is positive in my book:))

Captain Jelico was the best thing that ever happened to TNG: He made Troi wear a real uniform. Then the producers stuck with it. My feeling on the uniforms(T'Pol's catsuit, Troi+Seven's outfits) is that they just look unprofessional. I mean, just think about your workplace. If anyone in my office wore those kinds of outfits to work, they'd be sent home to change, docked pay for the time lost, and possibly reprimanded. I as an employer wouldn't allow that either. We're here explore space, not oggle the ladies.

Bandit LOAF said:
Anything Enterprise can do to get away from "Hey, look everybody, SEX!" is positive in my book:))
I'm the opposite. The more sex there is, the more of a "hey, this is kinda like TOS. Cool" feeling I get about the show. The worst thing about the 3rd season has been the lack of sex (except for a few times).

Re: continuity; I have a sneaking suspicion that all of this time travel business can be used as an excuse to totally diverge from known Star Trek history. How does that make me feel? Not so bad.

PS- Manny Coto's Odyssey 5 show sucked, but he is without a doubt the best thing to happen to Star Trek since Voyager ended (which was also a good thing).

Bandit LOAF said:
Has Spock's position as 'first Vulcan' actually been stated onscreen, though?

I did some web browsing on the subject, and the concensus is no. Conversations between Spock and Sarek in "Journey to Babel" and Star Trek IV only hint at it, but no one ever actually says it. There may have been mention to it in one or two of the endless novels, although his status is canon, as the Star Trek Encyclopedia specifically says "Spock was the first Vulcan to enlist in the Federation Starfleet..."

PeteyG - I can certainly understand where you're coming from, however I'm one of those Trek fans that would forget certain elements of TOS if I could, specifically the crappy 60's style costumes. "Cool" is often very far from my mind, although yes, the short skirts were somewhat provacative. IMHO, Troi actually looks sexier in the standard blues then in some of those hideous outfits (do you remember the long teal outfit in season 2? ugh!). Seven too, only becuase I hated some of her outlandish costumes and the six inch spikes. She bore the resemblence of a dominatrix. I'd be curious to see T'Pol in the Entrerprise blues if I didn't feel like her joining Starfleet would take away from the mythos.

Then again, I always did like a woman in uniform...

Can't they just have her wear a Vulcan uniform if there is such a thing? Or do all Vulcan girls go around wearing skin tight jumpsuits?

Back