Ek'rah Skabak erg Thrak'Chip munks Rag'nith (December 13, 2011)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
LOAF dug up an interesting media tie-in here. In a July 1992 episode of Nickelodeon's Doug, Doug wins a "Super Pretendo" and becomes addicted to a video game "Spacemunks." Rather than the Kilrathi, the main foe is a race of ferocious chipmunks. The timing and imagery pictured below show how it's one of a number of Wing Commander inspirations in mid '90s pop culture. You can even download Doug's Lost Weekend and see it for yourself here. That's a very appropriate episode title!

--
Original update published on December 13, 2011

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember seeing this episode as a child, but forgot about it until years later when I first discovered Wing Commander. I always thought that the imagery and themes were to thinly veiled to be anything other than a direct reference to Wing Commander.

Hah, I remember this. I also feel your pain Doug. I remember drawing little Kilrathi fighters all over my tablets in elementary school when I should have been paying attention.

Hah, I remember this. I also feel your pain Doug. I remember drawing little Kilrathi fighters all over my tablets in elementary school when I should have been paying attention.

It's true. Wing Commander gets into your blood. I once drew up the intro to Wing Commander 2 in storyboard form when I was 9 or 10. I wish I still had that.

Back