Eden system -RF final mission?

drunkanvil63

Spaceman
Has the Eden system been fixed yet? It would really be great if someone could put in a grey moon to fly to, and a jumppoint to Rikel. If this has already been accomplished by the remake crew it would be great if you could pool your resources with WCU project, after all we are one big happy WC family :).

Carl

These projects have really made me regret sleeping through programming class in high school.

Grey moon can be added. If we wanted to be cute, we could even add it to the background image (as in the original) instead of having an actual object ;)

Jump point is of course easy to add. I need to fire up RF to grab the exact coordinates, then think about the possibility of jump points that don't show up on the nav map, as it would be weird to have this jump to Eden in Rikel from the beginning of the game.

can you make it a semi-one-way jump that only works back to eden after it's been gone through from eden once?

I don't see a reason to make it a semi-one-way jump point. In the original game, once I started Righteous Fire, I was able to use the jump point. I didn't have to wait for the last mission. To be true as a remake, the jump should work before the last mission as well.

--Brandon Young

brandonyoung said:
I don't see a reason to make it a semi-one-way jump point. In the original game, once I started Righteous Fire, I was able to use the jump point. I didn't have to wait for the last mission. To be true as a remake, the jump should work before the last mission as well.

--Brandon Young

You're missing the point as new players will never see it because the Rikel is a backwater asteroid filled system.

Fruitcake said:
You're missing the point as new players will never see it because the Rikel is a backwater asteroid filled system.
You're completely forgetting the "explorer" type player. Someone who visited every single accessible system before even getting a new ship.

One-way ticket to hell?

If the jump-point were left in as two way, but something particularly nasty for beginners was 'assigned to guard' the inside-point of the jump route..? Towards the point in the game in which you're exploring the Eden area according to the storyline, you have enough firepower or experience to blow some tough stuff out of the water -- even when pursued by angry-flying-green-orb-shooting-super-ships-that-won't-die. The new guy in a Tarsus that pops in and says, "Gee, golly, I wonder where this goes!" likely isn't going to survive even a suped-up Galaxy, let alone what some of our evil-minded programmers can come up with. Hiding it in the middle of an asteroid field in the middle of nowhere only adds to the fun! Alternatively, we could add a node within the jump corridor, although I have no clue how hard it is to add a whole new system to the game (with limited visibility, scanner ghosts, or what-have- you).

Khavik said:
If the jump-point were left in as two way, but something particularly nasty for beginners was 'assigned to guard' the inside-point of the jump route..? Towards the point in the game in which you're exploring the Eden area according to the storyline, you have enough firepower or experience to blow some tough stuff out of the water -- even when pursued by angry-flying-green-orb-shooting-super-ships-that-won't-die. The new guy in a Tarsus that pops in and says, "Gee, golly, I wonder where this goes!" likely isn't going to survive even a suped-up Galaxy, let alone what some of our evil-minded programmers can come up with. Hiding it in the middle of an asteroid field in the middle of nowhere only adds to the fun! Alternatively, we could add a node within the jump corridor, although I have no clue how hard it is to add a whole new system to the game (with limited visibility, scanner ghosts, or what-have- you).

The super-enemies aren't there continuously. They are only there when generated by the last mission in Righteous Fire. The rest of the time, the system is currently empty in the Remake. In the original game, the random encounters were the average 2-4 retros in Talons, nothing that would seriously threaten a pilot even in a Tarsus, if the player was able to reach the system. You face the same or more threat in other systems in Gemini. I think your fears that the new player will get in over his head by going to Eden is unwarranted.

The programmers of this remake aren't "evil-minded." If anything, except for the Demons, I think this game is made easier than the original. Autotracking and cloaking devices weren't in the original game, and some of the Righteous Fire equipment is made available, right from the start. There are more missions available and the payoffs are better than the original. In the original, 10K credits seemed to be the upper limit for missions from the base mission computer, and there were only 6 to choose from. The average payoff was more like somewhere between 3K to 5K. It is also very easy to change relations with different factions. It was much more difficult to become friends with factions in the original if they hated you.

--Brandon Young

Well we all know that the 1.0 Release is horribly unbalanced i only wonder what the playtesting folks did when they've playtested it...

Should be a priority for the next release.

John Cordell said:
Well we all know that the 1.0 Release is horribly unbalanced i only wonder what the playtesting folks did when they've playtested it...

Is there any way ppl (like me, for example) could help in this respect? That seems like a much more manageable way to help out than diving straight into the coding (helping out with the models isn't exactly up my alley).

I'm not sure if somebody is working on the balancing stuff right now. Important things to fix would be for example:

missions
system population
weapon damage
shield/armor values

I don't know if only the weapon values are wrong in the remake or the ship's shield and armor values are messed up as well compared to the original.
You could try to create an info sheet which tells us what weapon did how much damage to each ship class in the original game but this would only be possible by playing the original game since the values in the manual aren't correct.

John Cordell said:

We played it. We tested it. I'm guessing very few of us made it through to the end of the RF missions, as that can take a while. Remember, righteous fire was not originally intended to be included in 1.0

There are few things more lazy than criticizing the work of others when you made no attempt to do that work yourself. I understand that you put in your time before 1.0 was released, too - I'm not criticizing your work, so don't criticize mine and the other other playtesters'.

Back