EA Replay for PSP

Bigt028

Rear Admiral
not sure if this has been discussed. how is "EA Replay" for PSP. i have the psp and enjoy the portability and games. Being a huge Wing Commander fan i did not have he oportunity to pick up EA replay.
so, if anyone has it or played it, please let me know, i just spent a good hour looking through the "search" feature to locate any previous posts, but could not find any reviews. thanks

Yea, I got it. Played through almost all of it before I broke my PSP. It's worth pickig up, and you'll find some more stuff on there worth playing.

I recommend it too, it's not even very pricey. You'll have to keep in mind that you'll get the SNES versions of WC1 and SM1 which I found to be great because I hadn't really played these versions except for a few times at a friend's more than 10 years ago.
The controls, well they are a bit frustrating for me and I haven't been able to beat WC1 on the PSP without cheats (or better: I was too impatient). SM1 is, thanks to the difficulty settings, far better accessible.
Also you get a lot of other nice old games: I enjoyed the jump'n'run B.O.B. very much, I was a bit disappointed with Syndicate because it was the SEGA version and I would love to play Budokan again but somehow, I can't figure out how to move. :embarrased:

The Road Rash games are fun as well.

All in all, I guess you won't be overwhelmed but for the price you're getting a lot of fun.

Budokan: You have to steer down and forward/backward at the same time. And yep - the game reacts pretty bad to the controls.

PS: Anyone know how to win in Polterguy? I am unable to kill the final boss (unless that one is supposed to be unkillable?!)

Thanks for the great reviews, i will definately pick this up now that some of you told me Wing Commander is a lot of fun in the psp.
I just resently found my old dos pc in the closet and will set it up with WIN98 to play Kilrathi Saga agian, i just cant get enough of WC..thanks guys

Budokan: You have to steer down and forward/backward at the same time. And yep - the game reacts pretty bad to the controls.

PS: Anyone know how to win in Polterguy? I am unable to kill the final boss (unless that one is supposed to be unkillable?!)

Thanks. I tried that already without much success. I mean, I moved sometimes but not always. Maybe a bit more patience.

Sorry but I can't help you with Polterguy, I never played the game far.

is this version of WC include both Secret missions? i noticed in the aboce posts that you mention Secret Missions 1. thanks

is this version of WC include both Secret missions? i noticed in the aboce posts that you mention Secret Missions 1. thanks

Secret Missions for the SNES was a stand-alone port. They never made SM2 for the SNES (or at least it was never released) so therefore since EA Replay are the SNES versions there is only SM1.

I picked up both W1 and SM1 for the SNES for 5 euro each on a collectors exhibit last week, dug up a SNES with controllers and three games for 25 euro's from a second-hand store and played the "original" SNES release...

The SNES WC1, which appears blocky.. like they just cropped the graphics and reduced the colors... The gameplay is okay.. but the talkie-scenes are very, very ugly..(in my opinion)

SM1 however was great, they polished/cleaned up the graphics to match the capabilities of the system... and did some extra stuff... the take off-scene was altered, both good and bad.. you see a 3d in-engine take-off and landing... wich was great(even though the numbers are missing from the flight deck), but also you see the ship you fly rise on an elevator ramp before launch and after landing, wich was very poorly animated.. they used about five colours(no gradient noticable), plus you appear to have solid engine exhausts flames in those scenes!
the updated flyby is neat though :)

The anime in the SM1 intro was great, two kilrathi(appearantly one is the father of thrakhath?) discussing the use of the graviton/sivar-weapon, and explaining what it does... And they don't execute the admiral in the end.

And ow yeah, the scimitar's cockpit has a lot less view in this version, the cockpit's animation is a lot better however....

Alterations include a green Salthi, with the fire arcs and specs of the Jalthi, and named Jalthi also... this is an extra bugger because you need to make sure you are not firing at your wingman, and visually from a distance you can't tell the difference...

The game does include digital sound effects for weapons, and mass drivers are green? Also the flight schematics are a bit different, in this version you can fire all your missiles without delay...

It took me about one-and-half hour to play through SM1, it's 15 missions, and you couldn't transfer your character on the SNES, saving can not be done, but with your callsign it generates 10-character codes to keep your stats inline when you restart. For the bargain i got now( 10 euro for the two games together), it's a great nostalgia trip, but these games costed 140hfl(70 euro's) each back in the day here in holland, and I would be disappointed to have finished it so soon back then when i was a kid and spended all my money(It would be a month's pay as a paperboy)...

I'll try and find the Mac version for super wing commander next...

I have the MAC version of SWC lying around for years now and never had the opportunity to play it. I really hope to play it one day.

Alterations include a green Salthi, with the fire arcs and specs of the Jalthi, and named Jalthi also... this is an extra bugger because you need to make sure you are not firing at your wingman, and visually from a distance you can't tell the difference...

I spoke with the game's Producer about this one some years back - this exists because resources were *so* tight on the cartridge that there wasn't even room for another piece of ship artwork. Instead the game just tints the Salthi green.

I guess they'd worked out some background in their head about this 'Salthi' sounds like 'Jalthi'... they even show the same line art for both ships in the manual and then included a heavily armed 'Green Salthi' fighting a Hornet on the cover of The Secret Missions.

It took me about one-and-half hour to play through SM1, it's 15 missions, and you couldn't transfer your character on the SNES

You can expand this a little - if you go back and play through on the other difficulty level, you get a different ending!

I spoke with the game's Producer about this one some years back - this exists because resources were *so* tight on the cartridge that there wasn't even room for another piece of ship artwork. Instead the game just tints the Salthi green.

This was phased over from the SNES WC1?

Because the animated intro sequence with the kilrathi on "Warhammer XII", including a digital sample of an evil laugh, no doubt took up some extra space as well...

You can expand this a little - if you go back and play through on the other difficulty level, you get a different ending!

I changed to rookie because I found it impossible to hit anything at first, but then I noticed that in this version it's appaerantly useless to "lead" your target, it might be a problem with adjusting to the projectile's odd speed, but I found you could hit objects only when you charge them frontal or are on their tail.

I can guess the other ending, but I'll play it again anyway

This was phased over from the SNES WC1?

Yup.

It took me about one-and-half hour to play through SM1, it's 15 missions, and you couldn't transfer your character on the SNES, saving can not be done, but with your callsign it generates 10-character codes to keep your stats inline when you restart. For the bargain i got now( 10 euro for the two games together), it's a great nostalgia trip, but these games costed 140hfl(70 euro's) each back in the day here in holland, and I would be disappointed to have finished it so soon back then when i was a kid and spended all my money(It would be a month's pay as a paperboy)...

Now an hour and a half game would seem incredibly short (I doubt I could ever have gone through it that fast), but expectations were different then. Back when I first got SM1 for the SNES, I just played it over and over and over again and felt like I got my money's worth.

It is njot hat incredible since you know the story, and the dialogue, and simple fast-forward through the game...

After seeing "fighterX" land two times you have seen it, plus the SNES version does not look at the damage results of your fighter...

It is njot hat incredible since you know the story, and the dialogue, and simple fast-forward through the game...

That didn't stop me from replaying Wing Commander 2 over and over about six hundred times around the same time.

That didn't stop me from replaying Wing Commander 2 over and over about six hundred times around the same time.

I played this particular title over and over and over... probably more than the original, in fact. My father couldn't understand why I wanted so desperately to hold onto my Zeos 486 even though the family had upgraded to a "latest and greatest" pentium...

I remember I must've played that last mission on WC2 more than any other mission on any WC game.

I think it's awesome that Thrakkath immediately and with certainty identifies Blair as the crazy human pilot single-handedly attacking them.

Yeah... one of the great things about a new game is all the time you spend studying it. In 2008 we have instant access to a walkthrough that tells us how to access every single mission and unlock every secret... but we didn't back then. From studying the detail in the graphics to experimenting with different weapons and gameplay styles and trying to get different cutscenes and characters to say different things... there was a lot to the game, even Secret Missions.

Back