DVD Reviewer Takes A Look At Academy (December 1, 2014)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Vermin tipped us off about a video review of the Wing Commander Academy series on DVD. Zaranyzerak is new to me, but it looks like he's got a cult following in the videophile community. He shares quite a bit of information about the set and praises it for its epic story arc and faithful attention to the series' backstory. Playthroughs of video games have gotten really popular on services like YouTube and Twitch lately, but you still don't see nearly as much attention to the peripheral elements of the franchise like this. Academy is an underappreciated gem, so really we're glad to see it on stage here (despite the hilarious typo in the name). The set is also still on sale at Amazon for a whopping $8, so if you're not an owner yet, don't miss out!

--
Original update published on December 1, 2014

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow, thanks for the feature! I'm always delighted when I can introduce my viewers to a hidden gem like this that they may not be aware of.

As for the title, it's actually very deliberate. When I do update videos like this, I like to keep my latest acquisitions a bit of a surprise, so the titles are often a play on words relating to the titles I'm talking about. In this case it was "Wing Commander Academy" and "When the Wind Blows" So I thought "Wind Commander" was a fun little mix of the two. And of course it baffled everyone....oh well!

Vermin has been regular viewer/art contributor/chat room participant with my stuff for quite some time, and I'm very thankful to him for introducing me to this site. I'm blown away by how extensive it is!

Thanks again, glad you enjoyed the vid!

Welcome! It's always nice to meet other WC fans. I watched your video earlier, and I will add that if you want to play WC4, then run over to GOG.com and get the PC version (or on EAs Origin service). It's only a couple dollars. The PS1 version of WC4 is neat but the video is very low res, and the story is abridged. They've cut out content to squish the 6CD game onto 4. The PS1 version of WC4 is neat because it does make flying with the analogue sticks feel relatively nice and adds some rumble effects, but you really can't beat the PC experience. Plus, the GOG version is the DVD edition that includes DVD quality mpeg 2 video for the FMVs compared to the low res/low framerate CD version.

Oh wow, thanks for the feature! I'm always delighted when I can introduce my viewers to a hidden gem like this that they may not be aware of.

Thanks for stopping by to explain the title... I do weirdo stuff like that all the time (and probably nobody ever gets the reference). From two days ago: "This Heavy Fighter's a Forward Striker" talked about the Ashearer fighter from Privateer 2. The fighter was named after Alan Shearer, who was a famous soccer player at the time - and apparently played some sort of forward striker position (I guess... I don't know anything about soccer).

I've updated the original post with your explanation: https://www.wcnews.com/news/2014/12/01/dvd-reviewer-takes-a-look-at-academy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back