Dralthi in SM2

luminon

Spaceman
In the strategy guide for wing commanders 1 and 2 it says that in the first few missions you fly in the dralthi, at certain nav points the kilrathi won't shoot at you as long as you afterburn past them without shooting. In its own words it says: "We never fired a shot, just hit the afterburners and blew right by any enemy ships and fighters we encountered." However, I have never been successful. Every time I tried to afterburn past enemy ships they always chased me and shot at me. Has anyone else manage to do this? If so, then what could I be doing wrong?

Yeah baby, the Wing Commander 1 and 2 strategy guide! Was I the only one who thought that Bluehair's last name of LaFong was just plain awful? Seriously though, I don't remember having to engage enemy fighters in the first mission in a Dralthi. Maybe you have to keep a certain distance and keep radio silence. I am actually playing through SM 2 right now, and will be at that mission in the next hour or so. I will let you know what happens.

Are you playing the original WC or KS WC? The enemies that are supposed to be ambivalent to you in SM2 attack in the KS version.

Lunitari said:
Yeah baby, the Wing Commander 1 and 2 strategy guide! Was I the only one who thought that Bluehair's last name of LaFong was just plain awful?

No, you are not the only one that thought the name LaFong was awful. I wonder how long it took them to come up with that name.

Bandit LOAF said:
Are you playing the original WC or KS WC? The enemies that are supposed to be ambivalent to you in SM2 attack in the KS version.

I am playing the KS version. Thanks for telling me that. I tried to do everything possible to try and not be provocative and I could have sworn I was doing nothing wrong. After about 5 tries of doing it without opening fire I just gave up and let my frustration out on the kilrathi. Do you know if this was done on purpose or was it accidental? Either way I think it was better the way it was in the original version.

No, you are not the only one that thought the name LaFong was awful. I wonder how long it took them to come up with that name.

"Carl LaFong" is a popular 'non name', along the lines of John Doe. It's a reference to a famous W.C. Fields movie ("It's a Gift"), where one of the characters is continually asking Fields where to find Mr. LaFong (and spelling out his name).

I am playing the KS version. Thanks for telling me that. I tried to do everything possible to try and not be provocative and I could have sworn I was doing nothing wrong. After about 5 tries of doing it without opening fire I just gave up and let my frustration out on the kilrathi. Do you know if this was done on purpose or was it accidental? Either way I think it was better the way it was in the original version.

It was not intentional. The KS addons have a lot of such bugs -- they were done fairly quickly. (Were it not for a development team mutiny, SO1 and 2 would not have been done at all!)

Yup, the game shipped with only the promise that the Secret Missions would be made available for download... and management decided soon after the game shipped that they wouldn't bother converting the Special Ops disks.

Lord Ares and some others went to bat for the fans and insisted that they be allowed to do the other addons -- and Origin/EA allowed them to (this is also why the original music from SO1/2 is missing... the SM1/2 music was pre-included on the CD and then referened by the download, the SO music was not).

Back