Dragon Fighter

Originally posted by OscarZan
But during the game chief Pliers explain to Blair the the power plant allow incredible speed and cost only a little drain from guns power.

I wouldn't say that 1200 kps is "incredible" speed. Even the Hornet and Rapier in WC1 had higher speed on afterburner.

She was a lot heavier than a Hornet or Rapier though.. 1200 is fast for a big ship.

Don't recall photon guns, just a set of plasma and tachyon guns. If you shifted more power to engines, would the fuel recharge quicker?

Also, anything with autoslide pretty much has infinite afterbuners...crank up the speed, hit autoslide and you're cruising at 1000+ kps burning no fuel! Actually, it wouldn't be infinite but a helluva lot longer than other ships.

Originally posted by StarLight

Also, anything with autoslide pretty much has infinite afterbuners...crank up the speed, hit autoslide and you're cruising at 1000+ kps burning no fuel! Actually, it wouldn't be infinite but a helluva lot longer than other ships.

Depends on your style. I use most fuel for regular short bursts in close combat. Burning long distances to intercept really don't sum up that much on me. I prefer a closer defense.

If you shifted more power to engines, would the fuel recharge quicker?
I don't think so, fuel is stored, not generated. You'd just be wasting power if you're speed is already at maximum and you shift more power to engines.

...hit autoslide and you're cruising at 1000+ kps...
I like sliding out of the Midway and Cerberus at 2000 kps. :)

Originally posted by Wedge009
I like sliding out of the Midway and Cerberus at 2000 kps. :)

However, usually at bad angles if you're trying to intercept. But it's fun to see your wingmen TRY to keep up, when they can't!

Not too many times I used autoslide to augment afterburner fuel.. Did a few running retreats in Prophecy across the hellish long distances to finish a mission or two back in the day. Kilrah trench run.

Originally posted by Timmy the Tooth
I'm guessing that the infinite afterburners worked in the PC version, but did anyone have a problem with them in the playstation version like me?

Actually you do run on a slight deficit on afterburners in WC4 PC as well.

Okay, lemme explain the whole thing...

Cruise Speed: Positive fuel intake... ship takes in more fuel than it burns off. So you basically refuel as you go

Max Speed: Still Positive Fuel intake... same as before

Afterburner: Slight Negative Fuel intake-- ship burns off more fuel than it takes in, just slightly. You will run out of fuel eventually. Luckily the afterburners have their own fuel tank... if they run out, the ship will drop out of afterburner.

R/S Closed: This is what happens if you shut down those glowing red-thingies. The ship will no longer adhere to it's maximum 500 k/s speed limit or 1,300 k/s speed limit, it will continue accelerating until it runs out of fuel. The speed of light is unachievable by any physical means so the ship will not reach the speed of light. You'll also be burning off your precious internal fuel supply. Unfortunately, you cant run like this in the game. You can do an autoslide, which is close! The red-scoops close, but the engines do too, so you won't accelerate like mad, you'll just hold your original heading and speed no matter which way your nose turns. When you deactivate the autoslide, the red-thingies go back online and you start behaving like you're in an atmosphere again. The engines also go online so you don't lose any speed. That's autoslide for you.

I guess you would technically run scoops closed during auto-pilot sequences, would explain how you get from point A to B so fast.

The ironic thing is that the scoops would only glow red when there's hydrogen gas flowing into them... how those things glowed red on the Intrepid's flight deck is beyond me :D

Even if they could suck in hydrogen while sitting on the intrepid's flight-deck, the stream of incoming hydrogen would plaster all the intrepid's hangar-crew into the Dragon's vents (remember, the hydrogen's heading for the intakes, a person in between would be blown along by the hydrogen... into the vents). Remember that footage of the crab getting sucked into the crack in the pipe? That's what would happen to the deck crew...

Nah it wouldn't happen actually... the magnetic barrier field on the flight-deck keeps gases in the flight-deck and keeps space out... I don't know how well it would stop a hydrogen stream from flowing in? Probably not so well... blimey

-Concordia
"That's all Leftenant!"

Originally posted by ChrisReid
Not too many times I used autoslide to augment afterburner fuel.. Did a few running retreats in Prophecy across the hellish long distances to finish a mission or two back in the day. Kilrah trench run.

I actually find it hard to use sometimes, because the situations in which it is needed doesn't arise very often. I usually use it for long missions, like those which involve 7+ nav points and contact at most of them.

I remember the first time I did the Kilrah run. I was still learning and didn't know what the heck the afterburners were for. Never really used them until after playing WCP. The only problem in Wc3 and Wc4 using autoslide is that the acceleration is very slow, compared to WCP and WCSO.

Back