don't you think they overdid it

Bla1r

Spaceman
in the ending of wc4 where tolwyn addresses the assembly, we get our first pair of choices just before blair enters the conversation:
1)Careful, fools rush in.
2)Seize the moment!

We all know the correct choice is 2 but i think 1 should turn out differently. I mean you should still lose but not like that. In 1, Paladin refuses to even listen to Blair. As if he never knew him or something. Come on, they are old friends, surely Paladin would never really treat Blair like that. Hell, he even punched the guy and they are still friends. More like a father to son relationship. I don't know, it just doesnt feel right somehow. What do you think? :confused:

I too found it a bit strange. But OTOH, it's a nice trap: I don't know about you but the first time I chose the wrong answer: normally in WC3 and 4 (though less in 4) it was pretty obvious what the good answers were. And here they tricked me. :)

I remember running into that one for the first time. I had read in a magazine article that WC4 was full of "John Wayne heroics", and thought "Hmm . . . John Wayne, eh? Maybe I should bust in and take charge of things . . . naahhhh."

Oops. {cue Super Mario Bros. "lose a life" music}

Kiss her...it would never work with h...kiss...it would ne...ki

I've thought about this. When Blair punches Paladin (which is the way it really should be when you have the choice), Paladin understands because he knew Blair was pissed off and hurt. I understood all that fine.

But when he comes into the assembly in WC4, Paladin never understood at that moment why Blair had defected. Since he was being lied to by Tolwyn about Blair and didn't know what was going on out there, I figured he just felt hurt and betrayed that Blair would do something like that. So unless Blair used that seize the moment thing and use the hard cell on everybody, they probably all a little hurt at Blair supposedly betraying the Confederation. And maybe Paladin was even embarrased by what Blair did.

All I'm saying I guess is I think it didn't seem that far fetched for Paladin to react that way being as ignorant as he was about what was really going on.

Paladin has doubts about it in TPOF wondering why people like blair, eisen and maniac would defect to the UBW...I think he also was doubtly because he might have thought that Tolwyn was a little bitter because his project won the war, although in FC Tolwyn tells Bondarevsky that if he had known about the t-bomb he would have put all his energies into that project...

How does Blair even get in there after stepping out of his cloaked Dragon? Were they using rented security or something?

Something in the game I never figured out, happens right before you get to the last sequence to get Tolwyn revealed to the assembly what he is really up to, right after you kill Seether, is it alright to blast up a Confed Starbase that is orbiting Earth. I surely doubt that starbase was apart of the Black Lance, even though 4 Arrows with cloaking devices on them showed up too. Surely someone noticed it wasnt there shortly after? I could be wrong, probably am.

Lord Tauk said:
Something in the game I never figured out, happens right before you get to the last sequence to get Tolwyn revealed to the assembly what he is really up to, right after you kill Seether, is it alright to blast up a Confed Starbase that is orbiting Earth. I surely doubt that starbase was apart of the Black Lance, even though 4 Arrows with cloaking devices on them showed up too. Surely someone noticed it wasnt there shortly after? I could be wrong, probably am.

ok, so? it wasnt the only time blair had killed confederation forces(you dont always fight the black lance) so it's not that unique a situation. he had every right to shoot them down since they treated him like a hostile. it's self defence. i dont suppose he had much of a choice. furthermore, i think the nav route he had selected was the one that would ensure the less possible hostile encounters.(that's why the last mission doesnt have many enemies)

now, as to the original subject, i came up with a thought last night before i fell asleep(lol). Maybe choosing either option changes the whole character of paladin.
we dont see paladin after the conversation with tolwyn about the vesuvius. so we dont know what he's up to and what he believes about blair and the border worlds. If you choose "careful, fools rush in" then i guess we can assume that tolwyn has poisoned his mind so badly that he somehow hates blair and the bw. if you choose the other option, then i guess tolwyn didnt influence him at all. it's like the past is determined by an action of the future. And i think this idea has every reason to be right, if we take into account what paladin says if he lets blair speak("if any man has any right to a hearing...it is colonel blair. let him speak"). It is clear that he doesnt share this view if you choose the other option. his character has changed(this reminds me of the back to the future movies :p )

sorry for the big text

McGruff said:
How does Blair even get in there after stepping out of his cloaked Dragon? Were they using rented security or something?

The people on the ground probably just assumed it was Seether's Lance, which they were probably expecting to land.

even if blair blowed up a starbase and he was found gulity to high treason they coulden execut him (life time in prison would be alright but not excuting), it would be wrong, he was the savior, the heart of the tiger,

Blair was convicted of treason in the losing ending, as Tolwyn was in the winning ending. Both were saviors of the Confederation. Tolwyn may well have been executed too, had he not hung himself.

About Blair just walking into the Senate Chambers with little resistance: Perhaps the Rent-a-Cops had misgivings about shooting ol' Bluehair. If that was not the case, Blair could have gone Rambo on them.

TheRedDuke said:
Blair was convicted of treason in the losing ending, as Tolwyn was in the winning ending. Both were saviors of the Confederation. Tolwyn may well have been executed too, had he not hung himself.

he WOULD have been executed for certain. That's what the news announcer says just before we see Tolwyn hanging: Towlyn is now slated for execution...tomorrow

Btw, in what way was Tolwyn savior of Confed? His Behemoth project failed after all :eek:

Col. Bob said:
About Blair just walking into the Senate Chambers with little resistance: Perhaps the Rent-a-Cops had misgivings about shooting ol' Bluehair. If that was not the case, Blair could have gone Rambo on them.

He would have had to go "Jackie Chan" on them. He left his shooter on the Black Lance starbase.

Bla1r said:
(...)Btw, in what way was Tolwyn savior of Confed? His Behemoth project failed after all

He was during the war a very succesful officer: in the Enyo engagement, in the WC movie, the WCATV series, End Run novel and so on. But I think at the battle of Earth / False Truce, he really saved the Confederation (with others).

Bla1r said:
he WOULD have been executed for certain. That's what the news announcer says just before we see Tolwyn hanging: Towlyn is now slated for execution...tomorrow

Btw, in what way was Tolwyn savior of Confed? His Behemoth project failed after all :eek:

Tolwyn's heroics go all the way back to McAuliffe, but in particular, he was in command of the fleet responsible for defending Earth in Fleet Action. Had Earth fallen, certainly there would have been no chance to impliment Behemoth or the Temblor Bomb.

edit: sorry Mekt-Hakkikt, I guess you beat me to the punchline.

Back