Discussion on the general status of Kilrathi before and after 2669

This discussion started with feedback in response to this one sentence in the news.

"Kilrathi culture is nearly wiped out in the process: the homeworld, central to their system, is destroyed and along with it countless religious and cultural shrines, most major clan leaders and the unifying Kiranka leadership itself."

Did the destruction of Kilrah really almost wipe out Kilrathi culture?

First of all, we know that the Kilrathi Empire, after centuries of interstellar expansion, became an interstellar empire with a super large territory.

The entire empire adopted a feudal system rather than centralized power.

"This is our fiefdom," Jukaga replied. "The Imperial edicts do not directly apply here."

from Action Stations, CHAPTER FIVE

Additionally, after the start of interstellar colonization, the Kiranka royal family essentially had Kilrah all to themselves.

Ever since the leap outward into space, the other clans, and their royal lines, had been dispersed to occupy the new worlds, thus leaving Kilrah solely to the Emperor.

from Action Stations, CHAPTER FOUR

By 2634 at the latest, Kirah was likely to have been an imperial capital planet with severely restricted access.

The Emperor would never dare to unmask the home world... If he committed his personal fleet, there was always the chance of an attempt at overthrow, even though such a move was completely contrary to the blood oaths of the race.

from Action Stations, CHAPTER FOUR

The Emperor took a close guard against the power of the other clans.

It is conceivable, that the average Kilrathi commoners would be difficult, if still possible, trying to return to Kilrah's shrines on culture activities at will.

Shrines on Kilrah, then, were more just some legendary cultural symbols to the Kilrathi people on the massive colony far from the center of the empire.

Of course, the Kilrahi people in the colonies have local shrines.

As he had expected, the girl was leading him to the local Temple of Sivar, an amphitheatre set into the side of the mountain.

from Freedom Flight, CHAPTER ONE

The Kilrathi in colony, then, are naturally closer to the local temples. Those shrines on distant Kilrah existed for them only legends told by the old people, the words of the local priestesses, and the propaganda from the Empire.

Then, those who have the right to speak have privilege of interpreting the meaning of the existence of these "legendary places", or even the meaning of the disappearance of those places.

On the other hand, would the lords who were forced out want themselves, their descendants, and subordinates to be swayed by Kilrah cultural symbols that they could not touch but the emperor could control?

It reminded him of home, of his native planet of Hhallas, where he had lived his childhood, before spending his years in officer’s training on Kilrah. Many Kilrathi said they admired the metallic splendor of Kilrah, the silver walls and tall towers of the Imperial planet. Not Ralgha . . . even after all these years he still yearned for the wild mountains and untamed wilderness of his home planet.

"It is time to grow up!" Vakka snarled. "It is time to put away your childish dreams of how the universe should be, and accept the truth behind it all. Everything is power, that is the goal. Glory is but a tool to trick others to give power to those who rule.

from Action Stations, CHAPTER SEVEN

Second, the relationship between Kirah and the colonies.

It has been said that if power is allowed to distribute resources, then resources must be distributed according to the amount of power.

It is conceivable that the first to be kicked out of Kilrah to establish colony would almost certainly be the lower status Kilrathi clans.

The story of Kilrathi's historical foreign colonization is missing, so the arrangement of the war is used as examples:

"I know you are ashamed of me. But remember this as well. This war is a clever plot of the Emperor's as well. Notice how the First Fleet will not engage, and that nearly all the personnel in this fight are from the other clans, except for the landing assault troops. It will be Imperial blood which shall place our banners upon other worlds, but only after the fleets have shed their blood. It will be our blood that is drained while the Emperor's clan takes the final glory."

There was report of famine on one world due to a major flare of the star in that system, which had caused a radical climate shift. Normally, even the Cats would have been sending emergency relief since it was one of their colonial outposts, but only one ship had come in to evacuate some key personnel, leaving over a million to starve to death. A message had been intercepted openly stating that no shipping was available. A counterresponse was sent back, demanding that the military provide some form of relief. The following day the transmitter was suddenly knocked off the air, the strange part of it being that a destroyer was reported to have gone into orbit above the planet.

from Action Stations, CHAPTER NINE

Reports were that close to fifty percent of the assault force had been lost. Though of minor blood they were still mostly of the Imperial line.

from Action Stations, CHAPTER FOURTEEN

Wars cost money, and unanticipated long years of war were likely to result in a heavy burden on the imperial colonies. Naturally, the heaviness of this burden increases with distance from the middle of the empire -- no matter it was physical or blood distance. From this point of view, it is likely that the uprisings in the colonies of Ghorah Khar, Tenya, etc., were related to it.

But...

At the next street, he turned into the open market, smelling the rich scents of fresh meat and fish displayed on carts and tables. The market was not too crowded at this hour, as the shopkeepers and carters had already sold most of their wares.

Pausing for a moment, what does this description of the town around the spaceport of Ghorah Khar tell us?

A free market with no rationing in place.

This likely proves that Ghorah Khar was not exploited to the point that there were shortage of living goods.

But they rose up first.

Why? What is the reason?

My understanding is that the affluent distant colonies were less identified with the central authority of the empire.

Third, how is the cultural importance of the emperor?

"My Emperor, I follow thy call for the hunt. Point out the prey to us and we shall spring upon it, but I beg of thee the right to point to other herds which thou might not have gazed upon."

Vakka delivered his opening in the ceremonial dialect of the court, speaking the words with a sharp, clear enunciation, which was an indicator of his good breeding. Some might have taken his tone as a subtle insult against the Emperor himself, whose lineage was not as ancient.

from Action Stations, CHAPTER ONE

The Emperors of the Kilrathi Empire were essentially the victors of civil wars. In the sense of Kilrathi culture, the legitimacy of the emperor's family status was not inherently given to a particular family, but rather was gained by winning battles.

Baron Vakka's statement was likely a nod to the nature of Kilrah's emperorship in the ancient aristocratic dialect - the emperor was a chieftain over an entire species. That being the case, it is likely that in a cultural sense the emperor would assume obligations corresponding to his own power. Accordingly, if he failed to fulfill his obligations, then his power might be lost in the endorsement of the Kilrathi religion and culture.

"... And for what? The glory of the Emperor? That useless fool whose backside warms the Throne of Kilrah, who has not fought for decades, who does not realize the price of this war?"

That obligations / responsibility would likely be to lead the clans to victory in the wars. The long, insubstantial war with mankind was gradually eroding the Emperor's place in the Kilrathi cultural system.

It would be fitting if Thrakhath's flagship was blown away, Graldak thought. The Prince and his half-senile grandfather had done nothing right since the war with the Terrans had first begun. There was a stirring throughout the Empire these days, the first scent of change on the wind. If only the Imperial family's iron talons could be pried loose for a time, the Clans would rise and sweep them aside. Then the Empire could end this fruitless war with the humans, come to terms with them as predators rather than continuing to view them, as Thrakhath did, as prey.

from HEART OF THE TIGER, Chapter XII

"And what is the Race without the Homeworld?" Melek asked. "Nothing . . . dust in the wind." He paused. "You have defeated us, Heart of the Tiger. Brought down the Empire with one blow. Thrakhath was a fool to discount what you Terrans could achieve, but he and his accursed grandfather have both paid the price for that folly."

from HEART OF THE TIGER, Chapter XXX

From another perspective, the emperor's power was limited. To go to war with the humans, he had to obtain the consent of all eight great clans -- and it was a necessary procedure. This shows that legally the emperor had no right to start a total war all on his own.

"These are our brothers," the Emperor announced from behind the screen. "Let it be spoken of."

from FLEET ACTION, PROLOGUE

"Vakka, you do not approve." The Emperor made the comment as a question, carefully using the soft tonal inflection for speaking to a blood member of one's own clan, rather than as a direct statement of fact, which would have been an issue of blood challenge between an inferior and superior.

from Action Stations, CHAPTER ONE

There was no absolute clear-cut difference in type between the emperor and the other top nobles. In theory he could even be asked to duel! To summarize, the Emperor of the Kilrah Empire is simply the grand lord above the other lords. An emperor of a specific family was not irreplaceable in Kilrathi culture.

So how did the Kiranka dynasty strengthen its power? In addition to driving other clans away from Kilrah and weakening other clans through war, as mentioned above, they did something else to strengthen the status of the emperor's royal family.

The courtesan worked for his own security team and had been placed into service to uncover loose tongues.

"Do you think the Emperor truly cares if they live or die? There are other grandsons of other concubines. If there is victory he will embrace them, if they die he will immortalize them, if they lose he will denounce them and blame those who fought under them as well. This war will burn off our strength and yet leave his clan even stronger."

"I cannot believe this," Jukaga gasped. "You speak of the Emperor."

“My lord, you speak . . . you speak treason,” Kirha said slowly, the shock of his master’s words reverberating through him. “Treason against the Emperor . . .”

from FREEDOM FLIGHT, CHAPTER ONE

Jukaga was surprised by the casual utterance of the foulest of oaths in regards to the leaders of the Confederation. Such blasphemy towards the Imperial line was cause for immediate execution.

from ACTION STATIONS, CHAPTER FIVE

Propaganda, violence and fear, of course...

"You know just how munificent my reward might be if you provide me with information valuable enough, including perhaps even the marriage to one of my great nieces. It could very well mean that your family might even thus be in line for the Imperial succession," the Emperor said softly. And Vak smiled.

from FLEET ACTION, CHAPTER SIX

... and political machinations.

Machiavelli said, "It is better to be feared than to be loved, if one cannot be both." But once the ruled are freed from the grip of violence and fear, that kind of backlash against the rulers can be expected....

“I begin to see why my lord Ralgha brought us to this pass,” he said, as he followed her example. “The Prince should not have done that. It is dishonorable; it violates the Warrior’s Code to hide behind hostages! He will cause the fury of Sivar to follow him and his blood to the eighth generation!”

from Freedom Flight, CHAPTER NINE

Note that Kirha did not made attempt to refute K'Kai's accusations against Thrakhath at all, and he began insulting the Crown Prince directly. This likely shows that Thrakhath was not in his first time to do such things, or Kiranka royal family were notorious in grabbing improper benefits.

The arrogance of the Imperial Family was one of the major sources of disaffection among the great nobles of the realm, and Melek was finding it difficult to maintain his pose of sycophancy as Thrakhath's posturing grew more blatant.

from HEART OF THE TIGER, Chapter XXV

In a way, Ralgha was torn. He was angry that the ceremony had been disrupted, and burned for those who had been so betrayed—yet this would not have happened if the Prince and the Emperor were not already corrupt. The humans were not the cause, only the means.

from FREEDOM FLIGHT, CHAPTER EIGHT

In short, the destruction of Kirah could certainly have had a widespread cultural impact on the empire and led to its de facto dissolution. But this does not mean the disappearance of Kilrathi culture. Accordingly, it can be expected that the defeat of this war will bring countless new things to the Kilrathi people and their society and culture.

What could the states of the Kilrathi people of different clans in different regions be after the war?

It should be noted that even before the disintegration of the empire, the Kilrathi had many communities with vastly different fundamental interests.

First, we must note that Ghorah Khar, as well as the other insurgent colonies, they are the victors. As a result, the people of Ghorah Khar, as well as the other insurgent colonies, can now confidently consider themselves divinely favored in a religious sense. And, consider that at least the people of Ghorah Khar have Confederate citizenship, they are the ones who will have enough political resources at least in the public sense.

Second, Ki'ra Clan. Ki'ra is a clan with a longer history than that of Kiranka.

Judging by the Emperor's cautious attitude towards the Ki'ra Baron Vakka, and the fact that Vakka had envisioned a direct takeover of Kilrah, the Ki'ra clan was the stronger clan at least in 2634.

It was almost a guarantee that when approached by his own clan, the ancient family of Ki'ra, that the Kurutak would grovel over the honor of being treated as equals.

"You and the nobles of your hrai have remained safe at home, playing with numbers and reading while we spill our blood," Vak laughed coldly.

"Without the weapons my hrai designed and the intelligence my spies and remote devices have gained, you would have been frozen meat floating in space," Jukaga replied.

from FLEET ACTION, CHAPTER FIVE

"I am angered, father, that you had me removed from the fighter force. What good am I—" and he hesitated for a moment, "—what glory is there to stand behind Admiral Nargth and to run his errands?"

from ACTION STATIONS, CHAPTER SEVEN

Ki'ra was primarily responsible for equipment development and intelligence in the rear during the war, so battle losses were likely to be low. In the absence of any success in stopping Kiranka from waging war, the quid pro quo for a yes vote is likely to be the protection of Vakka's clan in various ways. Transferring Jukaga from the Vanguard Flight back to the much more safer flagship is the epitome.

"Continue to read the writings of these humans," Vakka replied. "A word of advice at the right moment has often turned the tide of battle. Do that, and you accomplish far more than simply charging to your death."

from ACTION STATIONS, CHAPTER SEVEN

"A difference in defeating us?" Abram asked. "Know your friends, but know your enemies better."

"Maybe knowing your enemy might one day result in saving him and you." (by Harga, Baron Vakka's old servant)

from ACTION STATIONS, CHAPTER SIX

"I believe this war will be a disaster. I know your father told the Emperor and the Crown Prince this but they will not listen."
(by Harga, Baron Vakka's old servant)

from ACTION STATIONS, CHAPTER SIX

[THREAD UNDER CONSTRUCTION, but always welcome to reply to the completed part...]

Last edited:
This should be a good thread!

This discussion started with feedback in response to this one sentence in the news.

"Kilrathi culture is nearly wiped out in the process: the homeworld, central to their system, is destroyed and along with it countless religious and cultural shrines, most major clan leaders and the unifying Kiranka leadership itself."

This part of the t-bomb update comes from False Colors where Admiral Richards is explaining the impact of the bomb to Jason Bondarevsky:

"It wasn't quite genocide—blowing up one planet isn't going to wipe out a star-faring race as widespread as the Kilrathi, after all—but any way you look at it we took out a hell of a lot of innocent civilians just to get rid of Thrakhath and his doddering grandfather. And the effect on the Kilrathi culture . . . I've seen copies of some of the studies made when the strategy of going after Kilrah was first hatched, and most of them predicted the Kilrathi race wouldn't be able to weather losing their cultural center nearly as well as they've managed. Even so, the effects are serious. We took out their Emperor, their homeworld, their religious and cultural shrines, most of their major clan leaders and everything they recognized as holding their civilization together."

... which I think is especially interesting because it's a genuine post-war reappraisal of Kilrathi culture when compared to, say, Paladin's understanding of Kilrathi culture in Wing Commander III:

BLAIR
But even if we could destroy their Homeworld - They've got an entire army deployed.

PALADIN
Their entire culture is based on a strict, centralized hierarchy: ‘All roads lead to Kilrah.’ Every Kilrathi lives . . . and dies for the Emperor. Destroy that hierarchy . . . and you destroy them.

So I think Confed's understanding is (in 2671) about half-way between yours and Paladin's... Kilrathi culture has adapted better than they had expected it would but it was still a major realignment. And I think we see that in a lot of the glimpses of the Kilrathi that we see in sources set after the war.

- The reaction of the Sivar-Eshrad cult in the Wing Commander IV novel and in Prophecy. They adapt very quickly to the idea that the destruction of Kilrah was a punishment for adopting human beliefs… which makes a lot of sense to me, but for it to have meaning to the masses it seems to follow that Kilrah would have had to matter to the average Kilrathi survivor in the first place.

- The timeline in Star Soldier, which was written as part of the setup for Privateer Online, does establish that there were mass suicides after the end of the war… which I guess would argue for both points to me: there were large numbers of Kilrathi who believed Kilrah was central to their world view (universe view?)... but they also eliminated themselves from the discussion pretty quickly. So the Kilrathi who survive into the 2670s are, by and large, the ones that didn't feel such a loyalty to Kilrah. (Though it's worth noting and considering further that the suicides mentioned in the timeline don't follow immediately the end of the war but instead the breakdown of very early hopes that survivors will be integrated into human society…)

(But I'd also say that Action Stations is a post-war source, too! It is, after all, written by someone with a human understanding of Kilrathi culture in 2678.)

The Emperor took a close guard against the power of the other clans.

It is conceivable, that the average Kilrathi commoners would be difficult, if still possible, trying to return to Kilrah's shrines on culture activities at will.

Shrines on Kilrah, then, were more just some legendary cultural symbols to the Kilrathi people on the massive colony far from the center of the empire.

Of course, the Kilrahi people in the colonies have local shrines.

I think "unmask" in the source is telling us only that he won't deploy his own fleet, not that he doesn't allow anyone else on Kilrah. The scene, after all, is set in orbit of Kilrah!

We also know that the clans aren't single entities, there's lots of intermarriage given that even the biggest foes are cousins. To me that reads less like Kilrah is forbidden and more that it has come to /belong/ to the Emperor (which in and of itself seems important… if he is making a point of restructuring his society so that he controls Kilrah, it stands to reason that he believes that being in control of Kilrah is important!). And even Hhallas and the nar Hhallas clan which are presented in Freedom Flight to be an antipode of Kilrah culturally seems very important and very deeply connected to the Kiranka, to the point of suggesting that the Hhallas clan is one that's extremely related to the ruling body. After all, the Emperor has an orbital palace there (in fact it's the first place we see him!), Ralgha is said to be Thrakhath's cousin and so on… (And as you quoted from Freedom Flight, "Many Kilrathi said they admired the metallic splendor of Kilrah." So I read it that it is an important, respected idea… if not to all Kilrathi, then to many! And perhaps Hobbes' preference for his younger colony is something that is just starting to develop in this generation of kil…)

A free market with no rationing in place.

This likely proves that Ghorah Khar was not exploited to the point that there were shortage of living goods.

But they rose up first.

Why? What is the reason?

My understanding is that the affluent distant colonies were less identified with the central authority of the empire.

This is an interesting thought! I can honestly see it working both ways: a young colony like Ghorah Khar might have less connection to Kilrah... or maybe an older colony like Hhallas would have less connection because it has already built its own culture artifacts, religious shrines, etc. over eight to ten generations.

(As for the reason for the rebellion, I think there are a lot of possibilities! It certainly seems to have been initially run by the local Sivarist priestesses... and I'd be willing to bet imprisoning a popular religious figure like Hassa did not help the empire with regards to the will of the people! But also we know that Paladin was dispatched to the area to try and connect with the lower echelons of Kilrathi society and in so doing foment rebellion... so some branch of Confederation intelligence may deserve some of the credit!)

Third, how is the cultural importance of the emperor?

I also think there's a pretty big bias in what we know because of the Kilrathi whose inner thoughts we get to see. We get the perspectives of the clan leaders and military commanders who are all playing politics… they're the most educated and aware of the political realities of the universe but they're not a good gauge for how a commoner sees the Empire. They're the specific kils that the Sivarists are now preaching were corrupted by human thoughts! Baron Jukaga knows that he's fighting a game of shadows… but ten rungs of liegemen down may only understand that they're loyal to their clan and that their clan is loyal to their Emperor and ancestral homeworld. The Kilra'hra surely have a carefully constructed view of the Thrak'hra, and not a window into the realities of court bickering (that is to say while senators know they're performing fiction, the average voters do not!). After all, if the commoners have not been made to believe they are ultimately loyal to the Emperor then his plan to have them swear allegiance to him directly (in the mid 50s) could not work… I suspect the formation of Kilrathi culture means that the clan leaders /could/ direct their population in a different direction than the Emperor… but until this happens, they remain largely unaware that there's any conflict (and once it does happen you have already begun the civil war that the Kiranka fear).

My understanding of Kilrathi 'pre-game' history (and I think it would be very fun to go through everything and do a cited version for the news! Let's talk!) is that the Kirnaka took power a couple of centuries ago and that they have always been particularly conscious of the need to keep the other clan leaders focused on outside conflict to avoid becoming targets. One of the first things they did was disperse the other clans' leadership to other worlds (under the guise, presumably, of rewarding them for their support in the last dynastic war) and then focused on expansion and conflict with other species in order to avoid fighting amongst each other. The current Emperor is especially understanding of this and he has spent much of his reign moving chess pieces to try and give him a more direct control over the kilra'hra. He was pleased for the first half of the war because the clans operated their own military units and they suffered tremendous losses which kept them from being able to rise up… and once that began to falter, he used it as an excuse to start drafting mixed units that would not be loyal to a particular clan leader should they decide to oppose him.

They also have a significant level of control over the Sivar-Eshrad cult and use it to reinforce these goals. Thus we even have Thrakhath moving to have all warriors swear loyalty directly to the imperial line at Dolos, though of course it fails… but it's still something they're trying to make happen years later with the Hakaga fleet, taking crews from all clans together. So I think the Kiranka understand the THREAT of the individual clans developing their own culture and following their leaders to disobey the Empire… and they are intentionally trying to strengthen the importance of Kilrah to the average kil for that reason… but the conflict never comes to a head, we don't ever reach open rebellion among the clans while the emperor lives.

So my current read would be that the Confederation expected the Kilrathi to fall apart with the destruction of Kilrah and that /many/ did, enough to allow the war to end rapidly. But the structure of Kilrathi society was actually much more flexible than they understood and that the destruction of the Emperor allowed individual clan leadership (whatever survived, or took power) to freely rule their liegemen. What the Confederation did not understand was that this was just like all of the previous civil wars: the collapse of the current ruling clan means devastation but the culture is structured in such a way that it adapts.

Thanks so much for the reply!
PALADIN
Their entire culture is based on a strict, centralized hierarchy: ‘All roads lead to Kilrah.’ Every Kilrathi lives . . . and dies for the Emperor. Destroy that hierarchy . . . and you destroy them.
The content of that line certainly doesn't reflect reality.

Kirha, a lower-middle class warrior and Melek, a upper class leader, are not like that.

Also, regarding those studies, I think they were more directed at the war itself, i.e., the goal of how to make it impossible for the Empire to continue its war against humanity, rather than at the culture of the Kilrathi.

I think "unmask" in the source is telling us only that he won't deploy his own fleet, not that he doesn't allow anyone else on Kilrah. The scene, after all, is set in orbit of Kilrah!

I'm not arguing that it was impossible for members of other clans to land on Kilrah, but I am arguing that access to Kilrah for members of other clans was strictly limited by the Emperor. For example, the average colonial commoner may require strict vetting to reach certain religious shrines in Kilrah. I suspect that ordinary people were not entitled to apply on their own, and would need to follow, say, rules set by the Emperor, and quotas, with only an extremely small number of commoners from each clan having the opportunity each. Ordinary people were not allowed to migrate to Kilrah. Otherwise, we can envision this scenario: some clans, by deploying special ops personnel to Kilrah as tourists, trades, technicians, and then ......

I can honestly see it working both ways: a young colony like Ghorah Khar might have less connection to Kilrah...

I now realize a new point: Ghorah Khar (and the other colonies that broke away from the Empire) has already established a set of anti-Kiranka emperor ideologies, religiously and culturally, and it has already been validated since the moment of the Empire's defeat.

This cultural construction basically encompasses the explanation of the following issues: 1. Kilrah could be severely damaged by the war 2. Kilrathi warriors recognize other races and fight claw in hand / talon.

We might even go so far as to imagine that Melek's theories were built inspired by this, and just might be rightwardly skewed by considerations of solidarity with conservatives.

Last edited:
Was the part about the Kilrathi being a relatively young spacefaring race developed late in the series development? The idea of Kilrah's importance would depend on the age of the empire so I'm wondering when this was developed and how much of it made its way to the writers.

So I think the Kiranka understand the THREAT of the individual clans developing their own culture and following their leaders to disobey the Empire… and they are intentionally trying to strengthen the importance of Kilrah to the average kil for that reason…

This was likely their goal, and it appears that the Emperor's means were primarily to strengthen centralization as well as to limit the other clans by various means.

Could you think of some specific things that Kiranka did?

Last edited:
More just simple population growth; also a more industrialized planet would be less economically dependent on the homeworld.
I believe it was almost impossible for a fringe colony to be directly dependent on Kilrah's supplies. Kilrah probably only supplied itself. Other aspects of the economic ties ...... The uprising were actually better kept secret, so perhaps this place was not the most tightly controlled area of the empire.

Was the part about the Kilrathi being a relatively young spacefaring race developed late in the series development? The idea of Kilrah's importance would depend on the age of the empire so I'm wondering when this was developed and how much of it made its way to the writers.

This is an interesting question, especially since it dovetails with a little timeline I've been trying to put together for a few days. I've been trying to collate everything known about Kilrathi history in a junk timeline... here are my main notes so far (anyone is encouraged to contribute!): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rzoGwJ5Fs73XwDXgaYL02_gcMoiAIkYvg75aIuUKqJ8/edit?usp=sharing

But for this specific point I don't think they ever established a very specific timeline.

- In 1997, Origin's Official Guide to Wing Commander Prophecy says that the Kilrathi were visited by alien explorers around "the dawn of the Terran 23rd century" whose technology they plundered; that would put their space travel around 450 years old in WC1. While the guide doesn't mention the name, the story is clearly taken from Fleet Action's references to the Utara (1994). Fleet Action doesn't date the Utara but internally it must've occured before the war with the Hari (in the early 25th century).

- A year later, Action Stations gives the ever-so-slightly different story of the Shata visiting Kilrah and providing jump technology, which it says is 'several hundred' years ago. You can either say these are the same incident or decide they're different stages... initial space technology and jump physics knowledge comes from the Utara and explicitly jump drives come from the Shata. Both have arguments for and against but for my purposes I go with the later and I date the Shata to roughly 300 years before Action Stations from the 'several'. Behind the screnes, it's easy to know that Dr. Forstchen wouldn't have read the Prophecy hint book (or even couldn't, as Action Stations was drafted a year earlier)... though it's a little more confusing as to why he or anyone else didn't know the part of the lore he'd already contributed.

- Voices of War (1994) on the other hand makes the internally dubious claim that "the Kilrathi have possessed interstellar flight knowledge for the last century, using that development to conquer hundreds of planets in outlying sectors." That already seems to contradict Fleet Action and it certainly contradicts the later reference to the 23rd century... but it also seems to contradict another reference in Voices of War: both of the ship articles claim the Kilrathi have had space technology for over 600 years in a timeline roughly resembling our own! My take is to either discard or develop a little story that could make it technically true: perhaps around the middle of the 26th century is when the Kilrathi finally developed the Hopper or D-Drive or some other adjacent technology (NAVCOM AI?) that allowed their expansion to ramp up.

- Also worth noting but not being too sad about: the Confederation Handbook /implies/ that the Kilrathi have been in space for 200 years (as of 2653) but it doesn't state it explicitly at all. It says that Kilrathi armor was developed a thousand years before they achieved space and mentions that a Kilrathi warrior today dresses the same way as a warrior 1200 years ago. But that statement remains completely true no matter the date, so it's just a case of seeing a little echo of what the writer happened to be imagining at the time.

I actually think that while not very intentional at all everything I've found comes together to make a pretty interesting story of Kilrathi expansion where we start in the late 21st century with an imagined Kilrathi space program (furballs in tin cans!) and we go through multiple alien wars aquiring more and more technology.

I believe it was almost impossible for a fringe colony to be directly dependent on Kilrah's supplies. Kilrah probably only supplied itself. Other aspects of the economic ties ...... The uprising were actually better kept secret, so perhaps this place was not the most tightly controlled area of the empire.

I noticed an interesting point in Action Stations: a mention that the Ki'ra had imported a tree from Kilrah to make Fawcett's World seem more familiar.

"Harga said, motioning for Jukaga to step under the shade of a wide spreading ulanna tree, imported all the way from the home world in a small attempt to provide something familiar in this alien landscape."

I noticed an interesting point in Action Stations: a mention that the Ki'ra had imported a tree from Kilrah to make Fawcett's World seem more familiar.

"Harga said, motioning for Jukaga to step under the shade of a wide spreading ulanna tree, imported all the way from the home world in a small attempt to provide something familiar in this alien landscape."
What does "home world" here refer to? I assume it refers to Ki'ra's home world, not Kilrah.

Last edited:
Did the destruction of Kilrah really almost wipe out Kilrathi culture?

First of all, we know that the Kilrathi Empire, after centuries of interstellar expansion, became an interstellar empire with a super large territory.
I think a point that has not been brought up is the concentration of the Kilrathi, population-wise. The amount of territory held does not equate with the strength of a civilization if it does not have the potential to use the resources within that territory… just look at present day Wyoming, Mongolia, or Greenland, all vast expanses with mineral wealth but incredibly small populations.

We are told that the main threat to Kilrah during the final war council is the relative density of the Confederation vs. the Empire…
We conquer, destroy, populate a new world like a fiefdom, placing a few tens of thousands of our own blood where billions once existed. Those whom we suffer to live, labor in our factories as slaves, not allies. Then we expand yet again. We are like a hollow shell, the Confederation is a solid mass. Action Stations - chapter 1

…and we also know that the Confederation lost control of an enormous portion of its territory after the McAuliffe disaster…
Yes, we have lost a hundred and fifty-three systems, thirty percent of our industrial capacity, neatly forty percent of key strategic resources and the shocking number of twenty-eight billion citizens who are now behind enemy lines and condemned to slavery or death. Action Stations - chapter 15

…and yet continued to fight on another three decades while still expanding in other directions like the Gemini sector.

The Confederation suffered billions more casualties over the war up to and including Sirius, but even if Earth was totally destroyed shortly thereafter instead of “just” the bombardment depicted in Fleet Action, humanity was so well dispersed that its loss would not have had the same effect percentagewise as the loss of billions of Kilrathi on their homeworld. The relative sizes of both human and Kilrathi populations were never depicted as anywhere close to each other in the fiction, so on a species-wide basis, the Kilrathi could easily have lost double digits of their total populace and are in a much less tenable position than humanity at the end of the novels.

But back to the start, I would say that Kilrathi culture was wiped out after the Temblor, as it was guided by the kirankas for several hundred years and that culture was focused only on pointing the claws outward instead of inward…
They needed war, perpetual war, for if they did not have it the Empire would turn upon itself in bloody civil conflict, to satiate the need for combat, for glory, for blood. Action Stations - chapter 1

…and after the kirankas were removed, we see that internecine fighting throughout False Colors. But that is not to say that the Confederation would have culturally survived the loss of Earth either. Humans would have continued fighting, but without any restraints, and I think in a post-Earth world, we would have seen Kilrathi worlds burned or poisoned in much the same manner that the Empire did previously.

Nice to see you again! :)

…and we also know that the Confederation lost control of an enormous portion of its territory after the McAuliffe disaster…
Yes, we have lost a hundred and fifty-three systems, thirty percent of our industrial capacity, neatly forty percent of key strategic resources and the shocking number of twenty-eight billion citizens who are now behind enemy lines and condemned to slavery or death. Action Stations - chapter 15

…and yet continued to fight on another three decades while still expanding in other directions like the Gemini sector.

I should say, that was only a temporary result of the Imperial blitzkrieg at the beginning of the war. After that the Confederation regained a lot of territory and then it was a tug of war.

“The humans are the first alien race we have encountered that we have not conquered outright,” Ralgha continued. “We have fought against them for many years now, and there is no end to this war in sight. And all that we do—all—is to trade conquered territories. We are no closer to winning this war than we were when we began it.”

from Freedom Flight, Chapter 1

But back to the start, I would say that Kilrathi culture was wiped out after the Temblor, as it was guided by the kirankas for several hundred years and that culture was focused only on pointing the claws outward instead of inward…

I don't think it can be called "culture being wiped out", in that it's just the Emperor's family being defeated and the clans re-entering the warring states, just as they did before the first Emperor‘s appearance in their history, and in several dynasty wars. But on the other hand, the defeat by another species and the exposure to a more advanced and diverse civilization is in itself an impact to their culture.

The war ended not because Kilrathi do not have the population able to support it, but because the empire as a war machine disintegrated. They now have no reason to continue an all out war with humanity anymore.

Last edited:
Back