Digital Anvil & Origin Suggestion

Razorback

Spaceman
Hey guys. I was just sitting here thinking, and thought what if Chris Roberts asked Origin if they would sell him the rights to Wing Commander since they're not working on it, the fans want it back, and it was his idea in the first place? Do you think it's worth the time to send an E-Mail to Digital Anvil or no? Thanks for your time.

Uh, this was discussed many times. First, DA would have to negotiate with EA not Origin. Second the WC license isn't something that EA would want to sell to anyone, at least not right now. Third Chris Roberts wants to create a new universe. And Fourth I wouldn't want a WC game from a company that still hasn't made even one game.

Geez dude, I was only away from the computer for job related reasons for several months. You don't have to be such a dick about it.

Actually they have already made Starlancer, and they have two more ready to release at the end of the year. Then Freelancer next year.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Starlancer was created by the Warthog crew, DA just supplied them with a copy of the Wing Commander movie on DVD, so they could have some cutscenes. Freelancer has been 18 months from release for 3 years now.

Starlancer was still made by DA, they just hired the Warthog crew to make it with Erin heading the crew. And I guess DA can rip themselves off if they want since the WC ships in the movie looked nothing like WC game ships. Fits Starlancer better anyway.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Erin Roberts may have lead the team, but we've heard straight from the horse's mouth that all the work was done by Warthog. "by Chris and Erin Roberts" was just a scam to sell more (...). The WCM ships like the Rapier were different versions from the ones in the game. I see you're still overly concerned with how things look.

Razorback said:
Geez dude, I was only away from the computer for job related reasons for several months. You don't have to be such a dick about it.
I'd like to hear your definition of being a dick, because it's obviously much different than mine. I simply told you that the subject has been discused many time.

Vondoom said:
Starlancer was still made by DA, they just hired the Warthog crew to make it with Erin heading the crew. And I guess DA can rip themselves off if they want since the WC ships in the movie looked nothing like WC game ships. Fits Starlancer better anyway.
Nope, Erin didn't even go to England from what I heard. Warthog already had the engine (which happens to be the P2 engine) and several models. The only things from DA were the cutscenes from the WC movie. Chris had absolutly nothing to do with the game and Erin almost nothing.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited September 04, 2000).]

I'm pretty sure the Starlancer engine wasn't literally a revamped Privateer 2 engine.. but there are many big similarities because it was designed by virtually the same programming minds that did the first one.

Razorback: If you had heard how many times this has been discussed, you'd understand why people here get snappy about it. What you suggested seems like a good idea at first glance, but once you analyse it, you realise that it's about as stupid as ideas can get.

Earthworm: Actually, I heard that Erin did go to the UK for a short while... but does that really change much?
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
ChrisReid said:
I'm pretty sure the Starlancer engine wasn't literally a revamped Privateer 2 engine.. but there are many big similarities because it was designed by virtually the same programming minds that did the first one.
I *think* that I heard someone say it was the updated P2 engine, but now I'm not sure. Still the engine did come from Warthog.

Earthworm: Actually, I heard that Erin did go to the UK for a short while... but does that really change much?
Nope, even if he did go he still had barly any involvment with the game.

------------------
A good soldier is not the one who dies for his country, it's the one who makes his enemy die for his.
Gen. Patton

Surrender your Beer, or we'll take it by force.

It's not a revamped P2 engine... Its just the same style.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

moving back slightly if EA are in charge of what Origin do why not give Wing Commander to one of its other branches if Origin is really so amazingly overworked with Ultima. Also for my collection today I accquired an original Wing Commander III and looked at the EA catalogue, man did Origin ever produce a lot of games AND still find time for the ever profitable Wing Commander, what happened???

Okay, I've never played Starlancer, but what's all this talk of clips from the WC movie being in there?

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Pedro: They found something that'll give them more money for less risk. And when they look at the numbers of the latest space sims they wont be to hot about making a new sim. True, Prophecy did sell very well, but that was almost three years ago. Games like RTS (EA recently released the excelent Shogun: Total War), or RPG's (true, the Diablo 2 numbers don't speak for every RPG there is, but that genre is selling much better than space sims)are very hot these days.

If anything they could have Warthog make a WC sim, which would be somthing like what they did with P2.

Dralthi: There are several CGI scenes from the movie that were reused in SL, and some of the ship models.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited September 05, 2000).]

Earthworm: Your first sentence set your tone. "Uh, this was discussed many times". You were being a sarcastic ass. But I don't really care. Grow up a little and we'll have something to talk about. I'm not gonna read anymore of your posts for a while though, and see how you progress within the next few months. Seeya.

WTF? You said I'm acting like a dick, without any reason, and now you tell me that I should grow up? What is wrong with you? I only stated a fact. You'd react the same way if you've seen this subject as often as I have. Sarcastic ass, geez.

You said that you've been away for couple months, so if anything my post was good for you. You've found why sending an e-mail to DA would be worhtless.

Anyways, everyone knows *I'm* the sarcastic ass.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Learn to read Earthworm. Perhaps if you read my post accurately you'd understand more. But anyways, I'm done. I guess I'll just be the big person and quit since you're never going to understand or be mature enough to admit to being wrong anyway. Later.

Stop acting like a little kid that gets mad at the whole world. You're making a huge deal out of nothing, quit, because you're the one that's wrong.

Don't worry TC, I'm not after your job.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Back