Dead or Alive: Chris Blair's parents

Lt.Overload

Rear Admiral
In the cartoon (WCA) we see Blair sending multiple voice messages to his mother and father. However in the WCM, they are long gone. So which is it? Dead or alive? I know the movie had some continuity errors but which is the best possible situation?

There's no continuity error here. :) His parents are still dead in the Academy TV show: the ghost/hallucination of Chris Blair's deceased father appears in one Academy episode.

There's a few people he could be writing home to. Christopher Blair was sent to live with his aunt and uncle when the Pilgrim War broke out, before Arnold Blair & Devi Soulsong were later killed at Peron. His uncle later died in a farm accident, and his aunt left Nephele, so Christopher Blair then went to live with his grandparents.

Wait... I always thought that the people he was sending messages to were foster parents? At least thats how it was explained to me.

You would think that with it being Arnold Blair's sister on Nephele, but I'm not sure...

Well if Devi's parents were killed, then Chris Blair would PROBABLY be with his family from his father's side. Then again, do we really know anything about Devi's parents, like if they were killed or died of age, or if they were Pilgrims, etc.?

In the cartoon (WCA) we see Blair sending multiple voice messages to his mother and father. However in the WCM, they are long gone. So which is it? Dead or alive? I know the movie had some continuity errors but which is the best possible situation?

Blair's biological parents, Arnold Blair and Devi Soulsong, are dead. After their death, he was taken in by his father's sister (Jennifer Blair) and her husband (his aunt and uncle). The uncle (never named) dies in a farming accident when Blair was a child. Jennifer puts Blair in the care of his material grandparents and leaves Nephele to find work (and eventually remarries). It is his grandparents who see him through his formative years. We know his grandfather's name is Solomon Truepath, his grandmother is never named.

This addresses what seems otherwise to be an odd dichotomy in Wing Commander Academy's backstory. When we see Blair's father's picture and when we meet his ghost he is a military hero, part of a long line of serving Blairs... but when Blair writes his letter home he talks about how his dad doesn't approve of war. They're different people--had Wing Commander Academy gone into a second season, we would have met Blair's adoptive father and seen that he is a politician who opposes the war.

(This all falls together surprisingly nicely, since the place we learn there's anything important about Blair's maternal/Pilgrim grandfather is from the Confederation Handbook, where a letter from Paladin notes that those genetics are important somehow. Pilgrim Stars expands this into the origin of Blair's 'special' Pilgrim powers in that book... and explains that the previous generation of people with those abilities were entirely against war.)

There's a few people he could be writing home to. Christopher Blair was sent to live with his aunt and uncle when the Pilgrim War broke out, before Arnold Blair & Devi Soulsong were later killed at Peron. His uncle later died in a farm accident, and his aunt left Nephele, so Christopher Blair then went to live with his grandparents.

From Peron Massacre:
His "betrayal" was that he used that fact to sneak behind enemy lines to try and rescue his wife and son before the final attack began rather than staying quiet and letting them (possibly) die.

I believe Arnold was shot down by a Pilgrim drone while trying to land on the planet and Devi was killed in the attack. Chris survived and was sent to live with his aunt.

So was Chris Blair present at the Massacre?

Back