Dang you, Prophecy!

Max Gene

Spaceman
Huzzah! My package came today! Soon I would be playing hours of Wing Commander goodness, finishing the series!

Or so went the plan. I don't intend on playing through the first mission until I fix all these bugs.

-Comm sound is stuttering while flying. Not in-the-midway-video, just comm. I've tried full acceleration and zero, and in-between, all to no avail.
-After installing the high-res patch and trying it at 1024x768, the videos all shrank. I'm currently downloading the DVD vids, so if that'll fix my video problems, great. I'll be back to let you guys know how that goes... MUCH later. When they're finally here =P.
-Not really a bug, but are those backgrounds really THAT ugly?

I think that's all I need right now. Can't wait to get all that fixed!

Alright, NOW it's really screwed. I installed the DVD movies, and tried running the game again. I'm not getting ANY of the videos, at all- I'm running them with the enhancement pack and everything. All I can do is hear the audio. Seeing as to how this is my first chance to see the story as it should be (I played it before via Prophecy Advance), it'd be more than a little disappointing to miss all the pretty FMV...

Would you care to give some useful details on your system specs, operating system, etc - just telling us it doesnt work isn't the most helpful of info!

*smacks forehead* Duhhh, Max, you should know better than that first post by now... I'm running Windows XP with a P4 3Ghz, 1.5 Gigs of RAM, GeForce7300 GT. Tried running it under win95 compatibility, with the videos working fine until I put on the enhancement pack, which made them shrink- and they won't play at all now that I've got the high res pack.

Also running HCl's patch at 1024x768. The visuals all look fine on the Midway or in space, although that sound stutter on the comm channels is intolerable (tried running with various levels of sound acceleration to no avail thus far). It's only during FMV sequences that I can't see anything, but I can still hear... IF I turn the volume all the way up.

If you guys need any more info, let me know. Sooner or later I'm going to run out of Secret Ops and Standoff to play through =).

sounds like you need the mpeg2 decoder to view the movies them, one of the forum posts posted on recently had a link to it
see:
http://www.crius.net/zone/showthread.php?t=20833

that hopefully will fix the video bugs. also the enhancement pack by hcl SHOULD stop you needing to use the 95 compatability mode, so that could cause problems.

Ah, the videos are fixed, now! I've still got the comm stuttering bug, however- "Ta daa! a-Ta daa! A great victory for the confederation-confederation." Geez, Maestro, get a hold of yourself! I've tried it with every level of sound acceleration I can- and nothing helps. What's weird is that secret ops and standoff are both free from this issue.

However, in both SO and WCP, every time I autopilot the frames per second drops to unplayable levels. I have to hit alt+tab, then go back into the game in order to keep playing with any reasonable hope of doing anything. Not as gamebreaking as the comm issue, but is there a reasonable fix for that?

I must say, as someone whose first game was Prophecy Advance, that this is far better in terms of both gameplay and storytelling. Actual comms during missions as opposed to generic "Ahhh I'm ejecting! Ahh I'm dying!" And even though I pretty much knew one of the early scenes word for word, it was completed by Dallas falling out of his chair!

What's your sound card? Did you try checking or unchecking full duplex sound? If your card has a Direct Sound Safe Mode, enable that. You might also make sure read-ahead is enabled and you have your cache up sufficiently high for your CD-ROM. Sometimes certain anti-virus/misc background programs can also cause sound stuttering.

Ah, thanks. I'll try that later today... when I have access to my desktop. It's integrated audio, by the way. The sound issue has gotten to be a lot more tolerable, actually- it seems to only stutter when the game's FPS in general drops. However, the game is going into that delightful unplayable zone constantly- I'm at the point where I need to alt-tab several times at each nav point to kill everything.

I figured it would be. It's possible the sound card has some unique conflict that's causing the issue, but it's worth trying the other stuff still.

Gave Prophecy another whirl today, but installed the Glide wrapper and repatched the game for Glide mode. The results? Beautiful, and my framerate appears stable. Hope this helps anyone else having difficulty, it's worth replaying for me, now.

Back