Crew Chief on a Broadsword?

Minuteman

1st Lieutenant
As I understand it, the WC2 era Broadsword had a crew of 4 (or 5?). A pilot, and 3 gunners (maybe a co-pilot as well). Would one of these gunners have been an enlisted crew chief, similar to WW2 bombers?

There isn't much data either way. When Angel serves as your gunner during a mission in the Enigma series in WC2, she refers to the position as "your gunnery officer". It is possible that the other gunners are enlisted. We've seen evidence of other officer gunners on other fighters - when Blair lands his Sabre aboard the Gettysburg in Special Operations 1, his gunner is one Lieutenant Haley. Spirit's gunner during the Novaya Kiev mission where she is killed was named Meron, but we don't know whether he was an officer or an enlisted man. It doesn't appear that the WC2 Broadswords have a co-pilot. The WC Academy TV Broadswords do have a co-pilot who may have acted as a gunner, as the turrets were otherwise unmanned on that version of the ship.

In the novelisation of Price of Freedom, the down on his luck pilot you help out says that he was originally an enlisted gunner on a Sabre, then "got a commission to fly 'em", so not every gunner was an officer

Thanks all, for your input. That's generally how I envisioned it. A single officer (MAYBE 2), with 2-3 enlisted individuals as gunners. I've always envisioned one of the gunners as being a "crew chief", the guy mechanically responsible for the operating of the craft.

Back