...and on we go:
- Turn 48 MP: Whee! Something is fishy, though: Reserved fire for the Jalkehi worked for the particle and laser cannons - but why for the turret (the DF comes in dead ahead), and why does the Jalkehi begin to "resolve an Image Lock on Dumb-Fire Missile"...? I guess some targets got mixed up there...
Okay so what happened here was that I had it coded such that you pick a target, and then all weapons fire at it. I had thought I'd filtered out all valid point defense targets in the pre-engine, so that any target listed was 'legal'. I forgot that not all weapons are forward facing.
I've reworked point defense slightly, leaving in hooks for the future use of flak as point defense. I've also put it in such that turrets *always* automatically point defend if they have any remaining refires. They will auto-target the first missile they see.
Yes, you can! (Sorry, bad pun...)
I noticed some other (and some old) bugs in phase 4 today:
- Turn 49 MP: No report about chaff efficiency (just "Delta 1 releases a chaff pod")
I still don't know what is going on here. I keep looking at the chaff code, and it looks fine. We need to set up the counter scenario: do we know if chaff is working at all? We need to fire some easily chaffable weapons (HS?) at a bunch of ships that don't try to evade or to point defense (look out for the new auto-point defense turrets), to see if the chaff works at all, even if we can't see it. That will help me isolate the issue.
- Turn 49 MP: Missiles are shown outside the hex map (as again in turn 51)
Found this one. Missiles were split out from other indicators when I built in the end_phase_engine, and so they weren't calling board_cleanup. Added to all 3 phases.
- Turn 50 MP: "Fatal error: Call to a member function submit() on a non-object in /home/agespast/www/www/avacar/phase4/end_phase_engine.php on line 228" (this occured temporarily, disappeared after hitting F5...)
Didn't have a chance to work on this one, since I'd have to do rollbacks to recreate it. Makes me worried though. Is anything weird going on in 50CP?
- Turn 50 MP: Tango 2 and Delta 1 immobilized after an evasive action two turns earlier (maybe due to Beta Pack 2 taking evasive action and mixing stuff up?)
Found the problem with this. I *think* we'll be cleaning up evasive actions properly now.
No bugs, but things to consider:
- Will there be missile info pop-ups (who launched it, IFF, expiration)? We had this in WCTO, and it might come in handy for those FFs, IRs and torps. Then again, more pop-ups might seriously clutter the screen...
Yes, there will be. I just haven't taken the time to design and code them. I have a few other things on my pop-up todo as well, such as that 'incoming:' info you asked for. I will get to this eventually; the location for it is already roughed in, I just need to add them on.
- Could we possibly add a glowing contour/half-transparent radial thingy to ships that haven't yet submitted their orders? (This would also make the "waiting on players" list kind of obsolete.)
In theory, yes, in practice, no, not for now. This is one of those cosmetic things that will take way more work than it is worth for now. We'll use the list system, as I can get that working a lot faster. Ask me again in a few months once I've got all the core game features working.
Note: All the above changes were made in phase 4 only.
Now that we have some more registered beta testers, how about creating game 3 with some Sabres/Jalkehis in it to fool around?
This is a busy weekend for me, but if someone wants to sketch up what they want and where they want them located, I can set up a new game. Or better yet, why don't our new registered pilots call dibs on ships, and we'll just do a free-for-all mashup. Only rule right now is you can't pick any ship that has flak cannons, AMG or PTC, as those currently all work like forward guns at ridiculous power and are unfair.
If we do get a new game going, I can quickly/easily merge over the phase 4 updates into phase 5 first. Also, if we're all sure that we don't need to do any more phase 4 testing, I can discontinue doing my combat updates on the phase 4 work and only do them on phase 5. Just remember that I can move code from phase 4 to 5, but not the other way. Thoughts?