cpu slowdown needed?

Mav

Spaceman
Hello, after my introduction (see topic below) I'm ready to post what I actually wanted to:
I'm on duty in space since the early beginnings of WC1 and the first thing I did after a new release was: running to the store and buying the game, and the 2nd: running to another store and buying a new computer...
But then there was a long and hard pause which has finally an end.
I'm sitting here with my Prophecy ready to start but before I buy my new computer (AMD K7 800) I wanted to know if I need a cpu slowdowntool to play WCP and if I can play
the elder (true) parts with this tool on my new machine???
(Since there won't be a continuation of this "trilogy"
eek.gif
mad.gif
frown.gif
this question is VI!).
Thanx for your answers and don't irritate about the faults - I'm german
cool.gif

------------------
...don't hide your emotions - they'll be your last ones...

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as you use Windows 9x or Windows ME then WCP should work. Everything SM2 onwards has a built in speed limiter. All of your old Wing Commander games should be playable but it may take a little work to get some of them working. (eg. Privateer)

TC

------------------
Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

TC I didn't understand your use of the abreviation you said everything "what" onward should have a built in speed manager or whatever.

Well yes I have privateer 2 and I need a slowdown for that. WC4 runs fine don't know about WCIII yet waiting for it in the mail. About WC:p when I had it running at regular speed(when I first realized the problem was one of speed and didn't know about moslo, turbo and cupkiller went into my BIOS and Clocked my system down to around 336 from what it was at, 733.) Anyway when I first had it running at regular speed the in flight seemed fine but the cut video scenes skipped. When I slowed it down to 336 the scenes were normal.

I will have to run back and double check again I remember for sure the video scenes skipped but I am not so sure about the in flight game...it could be that i was just used to trying to play Privateer 2 at the speed of light.

Anyway could you give a list of the WC games that came out from origin including Privateer stuff in the order they came out.

Most of the stuff is fairly explanatory but there a few things that I need to get right like if indeed everything after WCIII is got a built in speed manager then the only stuff after WCIII is WC4 and WC:p RIGHT????

Let me know! Thanks.

THE PUNISHER!

What TC meant was that everything after (and including?) Secret Missions 2 (an addon for WC1) had a frame limiter - that is, the game engine would work at the right speed no matter how fast your computer.
As for Priv 2, it also has a frame limiter, but there seems to be a problem with it. For unknown reasons, it only works on some computers.

You might be right, but I can't remember. And of course, it doesn't matter since not much else works under Win2K
smile.gif

Yeah, but I'm planing to get it just for it's stability... I'm kind of bored of the damn comp frezing on me just before I save my work. So I think I'll get Win2K and keep my good ol' 98SE on the same comp, and if P2 will work when I get my new comp than it's just another reason to get that OS.

What about WCIII does that limiter work in win98se.

And what about the Prophecy skip I... oh wait I should put that in tech support....
smile.gif

("whisper": I downloaded a WC:p help file off of the files page on this site. It told me to mess with my soundblaster if I have one. Well I do. I have sound blaster live XGamer, which is pretty much the newest one out there(you'd think they would fix these dumb problems when the came out with the next version of the whatever)anyway the help file said something about setting my soundblaster properties to full duplex sound...well I did what it said but there is no option of that sort in my sound blaster properties. I also went to my soundblaster help and did an index search for "full" and "duplex" and "sound"--there was nothing for full and duplex sound just gave a bunch of stuff that didn't seem to have anything to do with it....not that i know what full duplex sound is but anyway.HELP! "end whisper")

See you there

"UPHOLD THE LAW!"

THE PUNISHER!

[This message has been edited by The Punisher (edited November 04, 2000).]

Punisher: I had the same problem with my creative sb live.
You have to disable the hardwareacceleration of your audioplay. You can change this somewhere at your sb configuration.
(In my case it was multimedia -> audio -> properties -> performance).

------------------

MAV - Ok I'm working on it...your going to have to try to be more specific.

Did you mean those steps you listed from the start>programs menu....? Cause I don't have a multimedia folder in my programs menu. If you go into yours whats the name of the window your in maybe i could look it up in my help index. I tried lookin up hardware and acceleration , and audio play nothing coherent, yet i will keep messing with it.

If you read this try to give me some more details

Thanks!
smile.gif

"UPHOLD THE LAW"

THE PUNISHER!

No, it's not the start->programs menu, normally you should have an icon of your sb live down in your task-bar next to your clock;
the problem is that I have a german version and so the names won't be the same, but when I single-click on this icon a popup is opened where I can choose "multimedia" ->
"audioplay" -> he asks me what card I want to use for 'play' and here's a button 'advanced properties' - you click -> choose 'performance' -> 'no hardware audioacceleration'.

I know it's a bit tricky and I was searching endless times myself, but normally you should archieve! (If it's the same card...)

Just try and GOOD LUCK!!!
wink2.gif

------------------

MAV - VERY VERY VERY WELL DONE! I did what you said and with a little hunting pulled it off. I have no clue why that works but you are THE MAN. I was being driven up the wall when I couldn't get Privateer 2 to work and thought the same fate would be of my other WC stuff. Thank you very much, works like a charm!

I do have one little question though, will I have to change my hardware acceleration back for anything in particular, i mean what exactly is hardware accel. what do you need it for, what do i loose by taking it off?

"THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION!"

THE PUNISHER!

No Problem man
cool.gif

Concerning the hardware accel., well, I also know nothing about that except the fact that everything's still working and I've no more problems with my movies.

So don't worry bout that, but if you discover a disadvantage please tell me...

------------------

Hey that works for me!

If theres nothing broke then theres nothing to fix!

Thanks again
smile.gif

"THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION"

THE PUNISHER!

Quarto: Yes, after and including SM2

TC

------------------
Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC
You are in no way entitled to any WC games, if you don't have them its your own damn fault.

Back