Corvettes

Originally posted by Darth Thrakhath
So do we assume that the Brack was a Venture-class or a different class?

I think its safe to say "No" to that question. The Venture class was in use in WC1, and any Ventures that managed to survive the war have probably been long since scrapped. WCP Corvettes probably look nothing like the old Venture.

Very true!

There are all kinds of Imperial Ships that we dont see in the first X-wing game, like the Victory Star Destroyer, but it was there, and platforms and such, they probably werent all designed in the time gap between the two games [in our world they were, but in the Star Wars Universe the time was only a year maybe].

Except that, well, your facts are a little off. The Victory Star Destroyers originally appeared in West End Games's Star Wars Role-Playing Game, and are probably based off of early concept sketches for the Imperial Star Destroyer. In fact, almost every single capital ship in the X-Wing games originally appeared in the RPG.
You're hardly the only person to make that mistake, though. I once saw the Interdictor attributed to Timothy Zahn.

IIRC, both, the Victory Star Destroyer and the Dreadnaught are from the Old Republic (ca. Clone Wars,it could be cool if those big ships from AOTC are VSD capships)

Originally posted by Ghost
IIRC, both, the Victory Star Destroyer and the Dreadnaught are from the Old Republic (ca. Clone Wars,it could be cool if those big ships from AOTC are VSD capships)

Unfortunately, I've seen the name for those ships, and while I can't remember it off the top of my head, it's not 'Victory'.
:(

Victory, Dreadnaught, Star Galleon, Z-95, and probably one or two others that escape my memory are all supposed to be from the Old Republic era. As far as the fluff mentions, the only cap ship that's been designed post-ANH was the Lancer, which was inspired by the sudden panic in the Imperial High Command regarding the potential lethalness of Rebel snub fighters.

Originally posted by WildWeasel
That'd be setting a dangerous precedent. You can't simply throw details away when they don't seem to fit. It's labeled a destroyer, so it's a destroyer.
(Besides, we've come across larger "contradictions" than this one in the past and have been able to explain them away.)
Hmm, I didn't mean it exactly like that... I meant that if the Paradigm's class designation is just plain 'capital ship', it could be that it's called a destroyer on the same basis that the Vesuvius was called a super carrier (though its official designation was apparently just 'fleet carrier').

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
The bit about the Paradigm from Origin FX makes it clear that it's a destroyer.
Interesting... I didn't know Origin FX had any additional info. Could you post what it says?

Originally posted by Ghost

That's what I thought when I saw those ships take off.
Junior, it would be cool if you found source again giving the names.

Well the Y-wing is probably old enough to be from the Clone Wars [I have nothing to back that up and I'm probably wrong]. And I think that Victories were designed towards the end of the war, not when it started.

And of course, then our good friend Corran Horn goes and figures out how to blow up a Lancer.

But if you don't know, he knew that torpedoes could fly farther than their lock-on range. So, he had the Y-wing pilots lock their torpedoes on a signal from his X-wing, and flew towards the frigate, weaving [with the help of a randomizer program] then pulled up right before the torpedoes closed in, causing them to destroy the Lancer.

Then, he nearly got killed by a pair launched a little late...

Well the Y-wing is probably old enough to be from the Clone Wars [I have nothing to back that up and I'm probably wrong]. And I think that Victories were designed towards the end of the war, not when it started.

Don't count on any of that stuff to appear in Episode 3 though...Lucas doesn't care about the books and doesn't consider them when making the movies.

But keeping with the books for the time being, Y-Wings are probably actually pre-clone wars. Z-95's defiantly are.

Lucas' brilliant plan for the prequels, however, can be boiled down into "LETS HAVE STUFF THAT LOOKS SORT OF LIKE STUFF IN THE OTHER MOVIES", so we may well see Y-Wingish things.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt

That's what I thought when I saw those ships take off.
Junior, it would be cool if you found source again giving the names.

I couldn't find the original site (URL long since lost), but I did manage to pull up the following off of www.starwars.com. Unfortunately, they haven't updated the databanks with the ship, yet, but there is a mention or two of them in the forums. From the forum FAQ thread...

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jsp?forum=18&thread=65998&start=30&msRange=15

According to this, what we saw were "Acclamator"-class troopships. I think the 'Cross-Sections' guide that the post makes reference to is a thin hard-cover that provides cut-aways of the cross-sections (thus the name) of the more important vehicles in the movie.

Thanks junior. Hmm, but I definately know that it it's mentioned in one of the games that Victory star destroyers were developed in the clone wars.
Never heard of he Acclamator-class (though that doesn't mean much) and it's 'only' a fan saying that,so I am not giving up hope until I see an official source. But it isn't that important anyways...

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Thanks junior. Hmm, but I definately know that it it's mentioned in one of the games that Victory star destroyers were developed in the clone wars.
Never heard of he Acclamator-class (though that doesn't mean much) and it's 'only' a fan saying that,so I am not giving up hope until I see an official source. But it isn't that important anyways...

The Victory-class Star Destroyer was first mentioned in the Star Wars RPG by West End Games. I believe it was first listed in the Sourcebook for the game, although it may have appeared in the basic rulebook. It was there that the Victory was mentioned as being a relic of the Clone Wars.
Most of the capital ships, the Z-95 Headhunter, and the Skipray Blastboat, originally appeared in the WEG RPG.

I know that 'Acclamator' is the name I've heard being bandied about, and I've heard it from multiple sources, so I don't think the name is merely EU anymore. In addition, if my speculation on 'Cross-Section' is correct, then the source mentioned in the post is basically a simplified tech guide for the various vehicles in the movie, and is probably about as close to authoritative as you can get without actually being in the movie.

So I'm fairly confident that there's no real way that you can call those Victory SDs.

My big question is - who came up with a silly name like Acclamator?

Lunchtime!
Means I was able to slip out of the office down to the local Barnes and Noble, which had the cross-sections book in stock.
From memory...

The "Republic Assault Cruiser" (quotes were what that section was titled) is the Acclamator-class Troop Transport. It was built by a subsidiary of Kuati Drive Yards, who also built the later Star Destroyers. According to the fluff text, KDY would probably have been numbered among the seperatists, except for the fact that the Neimoidians assassinated some KDY trade delegates during the latters' take over of the Trade Federation more than a decade earlier. Take the fluff text as you will.
The gunships are listed as LAAT/i, or Light Air Assault Transport/ infantry, and are also built by the same sibsidiary of KDY. The proto-walkers that we see in the movie are listed as AT-TE, and unfortunately, I don't recall what the 'TE' stands for. Once again, this vehicle is built by the same subsidiary of KDY.

I've got the cross sections book at home... I can scan the proto-Star Destroyers if you like.

Originally posted by junior
The proto-walkers that we see in the movie are listed as AT-TE, and unfortunately, I don't recall what the 'TE' stands for. Once again, this vehicle is built by the same subsidiary of KDY.

All Terrain Transport Enforcer, IIRC. I've got the book, but can't be assed to go actually check it....I'm 99% sure the "E" stood for "Enforcer". It might not be Transport Enforcer though.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Lucas' brilliant plan for the prequels, however, can be boiled down into "LETS HAVE STUFF THAT LOOKS SORT OF LIKE STUFF IN THE OTHER MOVIES", so we may well see Y-Wingish things.

I thought his plan was 'let's do what my daughter wants me to do'...

That explains the N'Sync filming, the fact that Lucas' daughter is a fat purple Twileki princess in Episode II...

Though I think his 'black people are Jar Jar Binks' thing comes from himself. :p

Originally posted by Haesslich
Though I think his 'black people are Jar Jar Binks' thing comes from himself. :p
Heh, no, I think that comes from people hoping that if they made enough noise about nothing, he'd give them money to shut up without bothering to check if they had a point.

Back