Control you prefer?

• Mouse

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • Keyboard

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters

ChazZio

Spaceman
Ok, I know if I put joystick here, almost everyone will pick it. Why not? It is the best way to control a vessal. BUT, as a second choice, which would it be and why?

I can't vote, it totally depends on which game I'm playing. Priv2 has the best mouse control IMHO. But I played WC1 and halfway though WC3 and Priv with the keyboard.

But I sucked using both, when compared to the Mighty Joystick.

I dont believe in any game that limits your choice for control option. Dispite what was mentioned in the interview with the game developers for FreeLancer, and I quote...

"Final answer...joystick support or no?"

"NO! And you wont miss it"

Thats a load of bull. I miss the joystick control in that game, tho flying by mouse isnt a problem but it would be nice to be able to *ROLL* the ship like the AI ships do. It would have been better me thinks if DA and MS would have done a bit more research and forum soul searching to see how the reactions were prior to that game's release and take those concerns very seriously. Perhaps they did...but in the end...did they really give it due consideration? I truely believe had that particular game included the option for j-stick, or any other game that limits your control options, then perhaps it and others would have done a bit better in sales. Makes no sense in creating such an expensive game only to ignore a majority concern and leave that out of the end result. Reading thru countless game forums and chat rooms, and alot of those debates are still archived and viewable at those forums..including here at WC CIC, a vast number have said they wont buy that type of game simply because there was not the option to select a joystick. Granted not everyone has a joystick...but rest assured, any serious flight or space simmer will have one..regardless of what the developer *thinks*. This isnt 1990 where the question of who has a joystick or not was indeed a legitimate concern for developers, and it is also not a time when computers are still trying to introduce themselves to the consumer, much less worrying about if they have a j-stick or not! As we can see...leaving out something as simple as the option...and stating such things as "you wont miss it" ends up being not such a good idea afterall.

IMO...there is only one true way to fly an aircraft or spaceship....

...and that is with a flight stick...period.

Nothing says "Wing Commander control option" like the same rant we've heard about Freelancer every day for the past several years.

I voted mouse, because you could really control your ship in WC1 & 2 (left button= gun, right button + movement = roll / speed, both = missile).
Since I played Privateer only on my laptop, I used both mouse and keyboard (depending on where I were, and finally I remember it was sometimes easier with the keyboard, in particular the last mission against the Steltek drone).
For WC3 & 4, I only played with the joystick, so I can't tell, but I would assume the mouse would be as good as for the other WC.

YEah, mouse is way easier to use and they have the good mouse interface with the little thing that helps control your movemnt. You can use keyboard with mouse and that is the best way. I really hate the joystick(it may be i stink at it) but you can 'roll' by pressing q and w , and it is easier to me. This goes for all the games except for privateer, where there was no mouse controller.

seeing as how my joystick broke on the final approach to Kilrah in WC3 and I dont have enough money to buy a new one, I'll go with Keyboard. I got used to it over the years and I'll stick with it until I get a new better joystick that doesnt crap out in the middle of a dogfight with the Kilrathi Prince.

Looks like so far the Keyboard is winning. But I know thewre are more opinions out there, so we will se what happens.

Oh btw, I voted. If there were no other choice...a mouse would be the prefered control interface.

My previous post is only a personal opinion regarding flight control. And it would not be too far fetched to have a ship capable of different types of control interfaces for the pilot's preference, given the technology level being discussed.

I think it was in the game FreeSpace where a Shivan fighter is captured and its cockpit was adapted to terran controls and weaponry. With that in mind..I think it would be quite easy to adapt different control types even in terran ships for different preferences by terran pilots.

For Wing Commander: Keyboard

However, the mouse control scheme of Freelancer is much better.

I prefer Mouse. Sometimes play on other PCs without Joystick to test whether WC Games are working, and there I prefer mouse all over Keyboard. Also I have played Rebel Assault with mouse, which is even uggly with Joystick ^^ - And also played a bit of WC3 with Joystick (didn't have one at that time). I also tried keyboard, but could shoot way better with mouse. - But that's maybe me, only ;)

I think I'd be able to fly well using the mouse if I really tried, but I'd take the joystick whenever possible. And I had no problems with Freelancer's mouse-control-with-no-joystick-option. It felt more like DIABLO-IN-SPACE! than a space sim anyway.

Well I think I'm pretty qualified to answer this question (not that everyone else isn't) but I didn't have a joystick for the longest of times (WC 1 through Priv 2). The first time I played WC 1 with a mouse and that worked rather well. Then I lost the game when I had to reformat and then I used the keyboard for no particular reason and that worked pretty decent as well. Freelancer has evolved a great deal in mouse control and yes it works pretty well. Now that I have a joystick though, I'd rather play Freelancer with a joystick then mouse anyday. However a mouse is much more precise for firing weapons. I wonder if there'll be a game where you fly your ship with the joystick and fire weapons Freelancer style with the mouse? That would be cool.

I'll definitely go with mouse. Why? Because with the mouse you can adjust the speed of rotation. With keyboard it's on/off at a set rate.

And Striker, I've been hoping for that joystick/mouse combo too ever since I played Freelancer. For me the biggest problem with mouse control in that game was that you had to aim in the direction you were steering.

I really can't imagine why would it be good to have a joystick in Freelancer. It was made from the ground up to be played with the mouse. It's like wishing for a driver's wheel in Baldur's Gate.

Maybe if they had made a completely different game, it would make sense, though.

Back